Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

50 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's probably the worst Williams score of the last decade, if not longer. He clearly didn't give a shit about the assignment, and I say that as a massive JW fan.

It's like he saw how Spielberg was phoning in so many of the bland expository scenes and decided to follow suit with mundane, uninspired underscore.

I don't blame JW whatsoever though, the fault lies with the terrible movie he was asked to score.

Some of this mught be repetitive overlap from my thread about the score, but I've been on a real Indy kick lately for whatever reason (to the point of buying some Red Wing Indy-styled boots!), and man, this score has some bad ASS music. Music that captures the adventurous spirit of Indiana Jones, the thrill of discovery, in a way that the film itself never does. The stuff that made people like my uncle want to be an archaeologist.

I'm on my phone, so unfortunately I can't use time encoding or whatever:

At 3:22 it sounds a lot like War of the Worlds, but builds into this wondrous whirlwind of excitement, masterfully adding more layers of intensity and tension. And around 4:46 he throws in those trademark Indy French horn perfect fifths for even more punch. Man, what a setpiece.

Another similar moment:

Starts alright around 3:11, but gets kicking fast, building up great tension with minor triads and a snare roll, culminating in a mini climax with nosebleed heights piercing violin that you pretty much never hear in movies anymore. Then he builds up again into a suspension of momentum around 3:52, another classic Indy move, before bringing it down with some more Indy-style minor triads, trilling woodwinds, sweepy strings, and turns out the lights with yet another classic Williams signature of only celli and bass really just laying into some notes (like this around 1:20

)

I could go on, but I'll leave it there for now.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Some of this mught be repetitive overlap from my thread about the score, but I've been on a real Indy kick lately for whatever reason (to the point of buying some Red Wing Indy-styled boots!)

Until you get the genuine Indy jacket from Wested leather you're just a poser.

30 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Until you get the genuine Indy jacket from Wested leather you're just a poser.

Hey, baby, imitation is what got us into Kingdom of the Crystal Skull being what it is. (Indy wears Alden 405s, by the way). I'm all about the inspiration game.

• 1 month later...
  1. How are they going to explain Marion & Mutt's absence in Indy 5?
  2. So that river looked very shallow. Did Indy mount an expedition to retrieve the two Sankara stones that fell into those crocodile infested waters during his life and death cliffhanger (literally) struggle with Mola Ram? After all it, wouldn't it give him his "fortune and glory"? Wouldn't those have stones made a fine addition to the museum's Indian collection?

6 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:
  1. How are they going to explain Marion & Mutt's absence in Indy 5?

Mutt turned into a zombie and bit Marion, so Indy had to shoot both of them.

"I thought I was gonna be marryin' Marion, but it turns out she was meant to be carrion!"

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I hope it's Indiana Jones and the Return to the Temple of Doom.

Did you find the portrayal of Indians in Temple of Doom to be racist?

25 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Stop that, we don't call them "Indians" anymore. They're Native Americans.

You're insulting them and you're embarrassing me.

• 1 month later...

I think the delays are quite obvious: Indy is now Disney/Lucasfilm, right?

Therefore, Spielberg spends his days trying to convince Bob Iger to make a worldwide distribution deal, because it won't be an Indy movie without the Paramount opening!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I think the delays are quite obvious: Indy is now Disney/Lucasfilm, right?

Therefore, Spielberg spends his days trying to convince Bob Iger to make a worldwide distribution deal, because it won't be an Indy movie without the Paramount opening!

Well ...I want the paramount logo, but it could work with the Disney castle segueing into a real life castle....

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Paramount no longer owns the IP, you can't have the Paramount opening for any new Indiana Jones film. Simple as that.

You could have Cinderella castle instead!

Karol

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

In have faith in Spielberg!

I honestly do, too, especially if they get a good screenwriter on board (which Spiepberg is very dependent on). But the prospects of this existing as intended seems to get slimmer, like Tintin 2.

1 minute ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Anyone else prefer KotCS to the original?

Yes, and they're all as crazy as you are!

Crystal Skull would have sucked wherever they filmed it.  Who cares where things are filmed?  It's not like you can tell by watching it what country they're in.