Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Lucas is completely disconnected from the rest of the world, I don't think he cares what the fans want at all. After the prequels, KOTCS and Clone Wars there's no doubt the man is not who he used to be.

I think the plot must be a prequel from CRYSTAL SKULL. Indy's marriage is an ultimate ending for Indiana Jones (LAST CRUSADE has also a superb ending for the trilogy).

They just have to make Ford younger.

Not really. THE TEMPLE OF DOOM is set on 1935, one year before RAIDERS (1936) starts. RAIDERS is released on 1981 and three years later TEMPLE OF DOOM. Hypothetically, you can say that TOD is a prequel from RAIDERS! And Ford does not look like older on TOD!

I think Indy 5 have to start on 1955, two years before CRYSTAL SKULL. I think you cannot see the differnce from his age.

I want the Nazis back!!

No more Russian femme fatales...

No, we have to have something fresh. This time he will fight against... Arab terrorist.

I want the Nazis back!!

No more Russian femme fatales...

No, we have to have something fresh. This time he will fight against... Arab terrorist.

Bwaaahahahah.

Indiana Jones against the Arabs. Maybe they'll bring in Chloey O'Brien too! :lol:

They were just better villains. More fun, too, somehow.

I agree, and I think it is partly because they played into the propaganda serials of World War II (especially in the case of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).

Hm, for some reason I doubt they would use Russians again...maybe they will stay away from a military force all together?

Maybe he'll find another crystal skull, only this one will be shaped like E.T. and it's a link to the upcoming E.T. 2!

With Lucas it's that way: "Well, there will always be some who won't like it, so why should we bother...?"

Dunno whether you really mean that or just being facetious, but I'm sure GL also wants to make a movie that satisfies the fans (more or less).

I think he showed that when he brought in Spielberg for RotS.

I was bloody serious. Despite my immense respect for his (true) achievements, I believe he has lost his understanding of what fans expect and why they don't like his modern flicks. He needs to get out of his own world and come back to touch with the reality.

Lucas makes independent movies for his own pleasure.

so if you dont like them, he doesnt care.

:lol:

I agree, and I think it is partly because they played into the propaganda serials of World War II (especially in the case of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).

Hm, for some reason I doubt they would use Russians again...maybe they will stay away from a military force all together?

they will use some strange cult this time, and the russians will return for the next movie, just like the OT ;)

I think the plot must be a prequel from CRYSTAL SKULL. Indy's marriage is an ultimate ending for Indiana Jones (LAST CRUSADE has also a superb ending for the trilogy).

They just have to make Ford younger.

Not really. THE TEMPLE OF DOOM is set on 1935, one year before RAIDERS (1936) starts. RAIDERS is released on 1981 and three years later TEMPLE OF DOOM. Hypothetically, you can say that TOD is a prequel from RAIDERS! And Ford does not look like older on TOD!

I think Indy 5 have to start on 1955, two years before CRYSTAL SKULL. I think you cannot see the differnce from his age.

It can't be a prequel to KotCS, as Shia is involved.

Hmmmm, I'm somehow getting the feeling that they're gonna speed this thing up.

Maybe we'll see the release even next summer!

If they're serious about this, they won't play around with the script for 5 years (let alone 10) this time around.

If you read carefully, I simply said I want the Nazis back.

Okay ... I don't understand why everybody seems to think the Nazis should be the only villains Indy fights. It's a series of films about adventure and discovery, yet people think he should have the same adversaries every time. Amazing.

If they're serious about this, they won't play around with the script for 5 years (let alone 10) this time around.

This sounds as reliable as your feeling that Spielberg wants to make it up to the fans. You know, the sort of tentative statements we're hearing now are the same as the sort that had been made about Crystal Skull as early as about 1995.

Okay ... I don't understand why everybody seems to think the Nazis should be the only villains Indy fights. It's a series of films about adventure and discovery, yet people think he should have the same adversaries every time. Amazing.

It's not every time. ToD, KotCS.

OK, suggest an enemy then. And remember it should have some historical significance.

This sounds as reliable as your feeling that Spielberg wants to make it up to the fans. You know, the sort of tentative statements we're hearing now are the same as the sort that had been made about Crystal Skull as early as about 1995.

You're just a contradictory and annoying dude, aren't you? I said I "have a feeling"...

So you have a different feeling. So?

My prediction for a release date is May 2011.

Figure they get the script off the ground soon and start preproduction this fall, filming in Spring or Summer 2010, then post, then a release in May 2011.

Figure they get the script off the ground soon and start preproduction this fall, filming in Spring or Summer 2010, then post, then a release in May 2011.

Could be. But I have a feeling Spielberg will release some other movie between now and Tintin. And it won't be in 2011.

It's not every time. ToD, KotCS.

OK, suggest an enemy then. And remember it should have some historical significance.

Um ... You stumped me, Josh! I concede to you that there is no other suitable villain in the entire history of the world for Indiana Jones to fight than the Nazis. In the 1950s. Exactly.

Um ... You stumped me, Josh! I concede to you that there is no other suitable villain in the entire history of the world for Indiana Jones to fight than the Nazis. In the 1950s. Exactly.

Hahahah. Exactly the kind of answer I expected from you.

Could be. But I have a feeling Spielberg will release some other movie between now and Tintin. And it won't be in 2011.

I'm still hoping for Lincoln to fill the gap!

I am starting to doubt it will be made. Steven Spielberg has 50 films in production, it seems, and he gets the rights for a new one every week. I bet he would place higher priority on the Martin Luther King film, as well.

I am starting to doubt it will be made. Steven Spielberg has 50 films in production, it seems, and he gets the rights for a new one every week. I bet he would place higher priority on the Martin Luther King film, as well.

Well, he might be working on 50 projects, but I think there are only a handful he actually plans to direct himself.

Maybe Spielberg will release all 3 movies in 2011, just to keep JW on his toes.

Then follow up with Interstellar in 2012. :joy:

Maybe Spielberg will release all 3 movies in 2011, just to keep JW on his toes.

Then follow up with Innerstellar in 2012. :joy:

No, he'll release that on New Years Eve 2011. :P

I'm pretty sure Lucas must be pushing to get it made, afterall tha last one did like $700 million and no one loves money more than Lucas (The Clone Wars is a testament to that). Harrison seems to have enjoyed doing KOTCS and let's no forget that he was the best-paid actor last year. I still can't see Spielberg wanting to do another one, I've always thought that his heart just wasn't in it for KOTCS, I think we maybe feels likes his outgrown this kind of films.

Well, everybody loves money, and the studios love it more than anybody, I think.

It's not like Lucas, who is a billionaire three times over, needs any more of it. It's more like he needs something to do.

Everybody loves money, I agree. But Lucas could do other stuff, the reality is that his latest proyect, The Clone Wars, is basically a 22 minute weekly add for toys. Didn't he say once after ROTS that he was going to make small films nobody would watch?? Why go back to an already finished Star Wars saga (even the clone wars had already been explored in a previous cartoon)?? The only answer is to sell more toys, and that makes me believe he's only returning to Indy to make a few more dollars rather than a genuine desire to tell compelling stories about Indy.

Everybody loves money, I agree. But Lucas could do other stuff, the reality is that his latest proyect, The Clone Wars, is basically a 22 minute weekly add for toys. Didn't he say once after ROTS that he was going to make small films nobody would watch?? Why go back to an already finished Star Wars saga (even the clone wars had already been explored in a previous cartoon)?? The only answer is to sell more toys, and that makes me believe he's only returning to Indy to make a few more dollars rather than a genuine desire to tell compelling stories about Indy.

That's a load of shit. It may be a show "for kids", but saying it's just a toy commercial is not only very presumptious (and very typical of the one-note anti-Lucas brigade) but also a disservice to a show that has made Star Wars fun again. As Josh said, he doesn't need any more money.

The reason for doing it? Demand. You may not like it, but there's still a hell of a lot of people out there who want more Star Wars, for better or for worse. While I love the show, I wish he would go and make those small films. Maybe he will, I don't know. But I'm not going to second-guess the man just for the sake of it as most people enjoy doing. Hell, maybe he is doing it for the money that he pumps back into the movie business, charity causes and education? But that's never the side of Lucas that people believe because it leads them to think he's not the all-conquering asshole who ruined "my Star Wars".

The upcoming Star Wars live action TV series actually looks rather promising, as does The Old Republic, thanks to the capable developers at Bioware. But Clone Wars? It's the scourge of humanity, and it must be destroyed!

lets hope williams has passed on to heaven before this little piece of hell happens.

That's a load of shit. It may be a show "for kids", but saying it's just a toy commercial is not only very presumptious (and very typical of the one-note anti-Lucas brigade) but also a disservice to a show that has made Star Wars fun again. As Josh said, he doesn't need any more money.

The reason for doing it? Demand. You may not like it, but there's still a hell of a lot of people out there who want more Star Wars, for better or for worse. While I love the show, I wish he would go and make those small films. Maybe he will, I don't know. But I'm not going to second-guess the man just for the sake of it as most people enjoy doing. Hell, maybe he is doing it for the money that he pumps back into the movie business, charity causes and education? But that's never the side of Lucas that people believe because it leads them to think he's not the all-conquering asshole who ruined "my Star Wars".

Being a life-long SW fan, I watched all the episodes of season 1 of the Clone Wars, and I'm sorry, but it is nothing more than a toy commercial, there's no character development, no interesting stories, just clones in new colors to sell to kids. It's almost like He-Man, since there's also a morality lesson in every episode. There's also Ashoka which I'm guessing one day Lucas asked someone from his team "So what do kids like these days" and they answered "They like this show called Hanna Montana" "That's perfect, let's give Anakin a 14 year old girl padawan who looks like a model and is very hip and calls Anakin Skyguy"

And then there's Ziro the Hutt, yeah Star Wars is fun again... :joy:

Mmmm...no, let's not hope that. Call me crazy, but it generally takes a lot more than a possible opportunity to score a film to make me want someone dead.

You're crazy!

The upcoming Star Wars live action TV series actually looks rather promising,

If it ever happens.

John- also excited by The Old Republic

All of the Star Wars prequels looked promising before they were released.

Meh... after KotCS I do still think some people's hearts were in the right place, but they just didn't get it right.

For Indy 5 to work for me, it needs at least:

Interesting story

A villain who's actually scary or just disturbing

An object that has some genuine danger or intrigue

A finale without any use of CG

And of course a score where I want to hear the whole thing. Is all that really too much to ask, George?