Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

One wonders, then, why the game wasn't altered only for the German release.

So we don't offend any Nazis...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois Nazis.

I hate Illinois Nazis.

Hey, apropos nothing, I just realized why Indy 4 isn't as good as the other 3.

It's because it doesn't have a true (hot) Indy girl.

Neither does Temple of Doom. But then, that was the weakest of the series before KOTCS came along.

Let's hope the potential JW Indy V soundtrack album doesn't have 15 minutes of boring cave music and pointless reiteration tracks like "Return" and most of "Oxley's Dilemma", or chopped up action sequence music. I hope Williams brings back that alternate Raiders march used when Mutt swings and at the end of the credits.

"Return" is one of my favorite tracks. It's also the only real musical sequence in the film (that is, a scene in which the music plays a prevalent part).

It's also the only real musical sequence in the film (that is, a scene in which the music plays a prevalent part).

I agree somewhat, but I think "Ants!" elevates the on-screen action, and also "Opening the Crate". I doubt a similar mood would have been achieved had they used the "You got a red Rupee!" chime or if they left the scene unscored.

Also "Whirl Through Academe," "Journey to Akator," "Temple Ruins and the Secret Revealed," the opening piece, and "Jungle Chase."

I take it back: the two pop songs had the most musical effect in the film. I'll agree with you that most statements of the Crystal Skull theme had a certain effectiveness. "Jungle Chase," sadly, did not. Hell, nothing in that sequence had any effect. It was such a clusterfuck of action, dialogue, "humor," special effects and music that everything just blurred together.

Some of the most effective bits in the score are the action mickey-mousing (which is more in the unreleased portions of the Jungle Chase). The other stuff would work better if it was mixed louder in the film, but I still think it adds to the film.

Worst part of the Jungle Chase is the Raiders march b section building up to a silly Mickey Mouse moment. Otherwise, I like most of it in all its silliness. I think Warehouse Escape is actually pretty interesting.

I love the way Williams subtly weaves the film's themes into some of the major action pieces (the Russian theme and Mutt's theme in A Whirl Through Academe, the Russian and Skull themes in Ants). And of course Jungle Chase is heavily thematic, but more and more to me the cue feels like a hodge podge of those themes with some generic action music thrown into the gaps.

And of course Jungle Chase is heavily thematic, but more and more to me the cue feels like a hodge podge of those themes with some generic action music thrown into the gaps.

Yeah, I feel that way about the unreleased portions. Other than a nice rendition of Marion's Theme, Irina's Theme, and a really nice rendition of the Russian Theme (second only to the deliciously brutal statements in "Ants!"), I am perfectly fine with the original album cut.

Also, as a side note, the "boring cave" music has grown on me a lot, I just love the Crystal's B Theme in "Orellana's Cradle".

I love the way Williams subtly weaves the film's themes into some of the major action pieces (the Russian theme and Mutt's theme in A Whirl Through Academe

:P Please explain, I wasn't aware of these variations. I thought the ascending scales in "Whirl" might possibly be a reference to the descending scales of "Adventures of Mutt," but beyond that I don't see the connection. And I have no idea how the Russian theme is woven in.

In my opinion, although I don't think anybody will care, I think John Williams should have added some bongoes into the "Jungle Chase", similar to like he did in TLW, although I don't know it that kind of sound would have fitted properly.

So we don't offend any Nazis...

Really? You don't wanna offend Amon Goeth?

Let's hope the potential JW Indy V soundtrack album doesn't have 15 minutes of boring cave music and pointless reiteration tracks like "Return" and most of "Oxley's Dilemma", or chopped up action sequence music. I hope Williams brings back that alternate Raiders march used when Mutt swings and at the end of the credits.

Well, we already know that Williams tends to make questionable choices as a soundtrack album producer, so it's really more in the hands of the filmmakers as far as what kind of music we can hope to appear on the album. The less time that is spent spelunking about, and the more time that is spent chasing or being chased by adversaries and women, the greater chance we can expect more of the sort of music that Indy fans like.

The music that's not on the OS will always be the most discussed here, anyway, whether it's a full-out action cue or soft atmospheric music.

Don't kid yourself.

I love the way Williams subtly weaves the film's themes into some of the major action pieces (the Russian theme and Mutt's theme in A Whirl Through Academe

:P Please explain, I wasn't aware of these variations. I thought the ascending scales in "Whirl" might possibly be a reference to the descending scales of "Adventures of Mutt," but beyond that I don't see the connection. And I have no idea how the Russian theme is woven in.

There's no Russian theme in "Whirl," woven in or not.

And if i was german... i would prefer them using the term nazi, since using german they are generalising...

There's no Russian theme in "Whirl," woven in or not.

Whirl and Wharehouse escape share a motif, that could be 'Russian pursuit' motif or something..

Whirl and Wharehouse escape share a motif, that could be 'Russian pursuit' motif or something..

Dunno what you're talking about. Give me the exact time when it's heard in "Whirl"!

:06-:09, in the background :20-:24, and 1:00-1:15. It's definately a play on the Russian theme, much like the motif in the Grievious action cues in RotS are a play on Greivous' theme.

No...not at all. =| That's an entirely different motif, as are the multiple motifs in the ROTS action cues you mentioned. They have very little relation to the Russian theme and Grievous' theme, respectively.

And if i was german... i would prefer them using the term nazi, since using german they are generalising...

Well you know everyone is PC sensitive these days.

But this is also a game for kids so I don't mind.

i can see spielberg dubbing 'german' instead of 'nazi' in the actual films...

there has been precedence in E.T.... :huh:

Dunno what you're talking about. Give me the exact time when it's heard in "Whirl"!

Wharehouse: 1:16-1:27

Whirl: 1:02-1:17

Its the same trumpet notes.

It could be just williams action writting, or some russian pursuit motif. I dont hear a relation with the actual russian theme.

Well you know everyone is PC sensitive these days.

But this is also a game for kids so I don't mind.

They might start freaking out next time when their parents will take them to Berlin for holidays :huh:

It could be just williams action writting, or some russian pursuit motif. I dont hear a relation with the actual russian theme.

That should be 1:57 in "Warehouse Escape" - I assume you're going off the incomplete version from the special feature on the DVD. There's more material near the beginning, while Mac and Indy are talking. And whether or not this is the same motif is debatable...it's basically just a bunch of repeated trumpet notes. The motif from "Whirl" starts that way, but it's a longer melody that's not heard in "Warehouse Escape." And as you said, it's not derived from or related to the Russian theme.

Well, we already know that Williams tends to make questionable choices as a soundtrack album producer, so it's really more in the hands of the filmmakers as far as what kind of music we can hope to appear on the album. The less time that is spent spelunking about, and the more time that is spent chasing or being chased by adversaries and women, the greater chance we can expect more of the sort of music that Indy fans like.

The music that's not on the OS will always be the most discussed here, anyway, whether it's a full-out action cue or soft atmospheric music.

Don't kid yourself.

Yeah, Josh, that's why there was such an uproar over the unreleased music from The Terminal and Memoirs of a Geisha.

Yeah, Josh, that's why there was such an uproar over the unreleased music from The Terminal and Memoirs of a Geisha.

Just to make it extra clear for everybody, I should have said "in the case of Indy scores" (what we're talking about here).

Sorry, I wasn't thinking of you, Henry.

That should be 1:57 in "Warehouse Escape" - I assume you're going off the incomplete version from the special feature on the DVD. There's more material near the beginning, while Mac and Indy are talking. And whether or not this is the same motif is debatable...it's basically just a bunch of repeated trumpet notes. The motif from "Whirl" starts that way, but it's a longer melody that's not heard in "Warehouse Escape." And as you said, it's not derived from or related to the Russian theme.

I think if you listen hard enough, you can even hear the Russian motif in the Raiders March. I believe Indy's great-great-great-great grandmother was a Russian. ROTFLMAO

Hey, apropos nothing, I just realized why Indy 4 isn't as good as the other 3.

It's because it doesn't have a true (hot) Indy girl.

Neither does Temple of Doom. But then, that was the weakest of the series before KOTCS came along.

I think Spielberg would fiercely disagree... ROTFLMAO

• 2 months later...

i think karen allen confirmed something at dragon con too...

that pirates of the caribean teaser pick 'steals' the harry potter font in the 'summer 2011' text...

i'm rather more excited by Star Tours II...

I think that to keep things in line with the 1950's sci-fi theme, Indiana Jones should get body snatched by aliens, and Shia LeBouf's character is forced to kill him. How wonderful a theme could John Williams write for the Death of Indiana Jones!

The hat will might remain on Ford's old head, but the franchise certainly won't.

It's a sad state of affairs when one can accurately predict Lucas' cynical future intentions. Long gone are the days when the man was almost universally revered as a visionary with artistic clout (the 80s).

Spielberg says he's "cracked" the film's story?

The only way it's going to be a good film is if the plot is genuinely intriguing and the "McGuffin" is not an easily recognizable, dismissible "check this paranormal myth off the list" deal. You know, like, something that actually requires the film to tell a story, with lots of surprises along the way, that the viewer isn't always 5 moves ahead with?

Oh, and minimal to no CGI, just like Spielberg originally promised with Indy IV (remember? oy... what happened to that promise?) will certainly seal the deal for me.

I was surprised watching the specials on the Indy 4 DVD just how many things I thought were CG were in fact done practically (the truck driving through the warehouse boxes, the rising towers, the final door to the crystal chamber). I think the jungle chase is where most of the CG is.

I think the jungle chase is where most of the CG is.

Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Considering the amount of practical stuff that people have mistaken for CG, I say it blends in pretty well actually.

I think the jungle chase is where most of the CG is.

Yes, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Considering the amount of practical stuff that people have mistaken for CG, I say it blends in pretty well actually.

exactly.

In retrospect, it was too brightly lit. It makes me wish for the dark and spooky Peruvian jungle of the opening of Raiders.

Actually, that sentence was a filled out mad lib. _______ in Crystal Skull makes me wish for the _______ of Raiders.

The jungle looks like its made out of plastic and the composite work is atrocious.

Regarding the composite work, didn't Spielberg himself say that the he wanted the back projection to be obvious, like the actors just leapt in front of the screen?

• 5 weeks later...

In retrospect, it was too brightly lit. It makes me wish for the dark and spooky Peruvian jungle of the opening of Raiders.

I fully agree. The images were too sharp and modern. I want the saturated colors of the 80-ies and the pixels of weared movie reels. I honestly think that's the only way to get the old style back. Unfotunately and ironically, with all the modern technology it won't be possible.

I think it is possible. They pretty much nailed it in the Chauchilla Graveyard/Orellana's Cradle sequence. There were a couple shots that looked pure '80s. A couple shots in the ants scene gives me a good vibe, too, as well as the scene where Indy and Mutt return to Indy's house. The campsite looked pretty good, too. Could those scenes have been a bit grittier? Sure. But they strike me more like cleaner, clearer versions of the '80s cinematography than the true sharpness of modern stuff. It was more in bright locations that the most trouble typically came up. One shot that I really didn't like was the first shot of Indy inside the '50s home in Nevada. I could just picture how that shot could've looked circa Last Crusade, and when I see it it's like, "Oh, nuts. Kinda missed it, there."

But yeah, I think there's hope to really get it nailed if they recognize where it can be worked on.