Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember guys, Disney owns the franchise now, and Ford wants to make another one.

Are you sure? I thought Ford didn't want to play even in 4.

(sigh) I guess one great trilogy ruined (Star Wars) isn't enough..

by the way, i wanted to ask: Is the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles worth seeing?

I remember seeing the first episode or so in my childhood and liked it.

Don't know why I didn't continue.

edit: Oh, i see the DVDs are re-edited to death. Guess I won't see it then. unless I find TV rips.

Hope this gets made. I like kotcs, but this will give Spielberg a chance to make up for the mistakes in it

But I can't imagine ford doing it if Spielberg doesn't. That doesn't mean Disney wouldn't do their own spin off...

Remember guys, Disney owns the franchise now, and Ford wants to make another one.

Are you sure? I thought Ford didn't want to play even in 4.

You should watch the interview Ford did on Graham Norton earlier this month. He actually seemed to enjoy himself and pretty much confirmed his involvement in Star Wars 7. He said that he would do a fifth Indy in a New York-minute.

No doubt we would do Indy again. If it weren't for Lucas and Speilberg holding it up, we'd probably have a bunch more Indy movies at this point. If Star Wars is a way to facilitate more Indy, its a small sacrifice, especially since it will help him build new fans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Disney has finally cleared the necessary hurdles with Paramount Pictures to more Indiana Jones films. They will distribute and market future installments, which Paramount will receive financial participation on. The Viacom studio also will remain the distributor of the first four films.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/disney-acquires-indiana-jones-rights-from-paramount-1200927216/#respond

Variety says that Disney "will likely move quickly" to get Indiana Jones 5 into motion. While Lucas sold his stake in the company with the Disney acquisition, he and Spielberg may still play a role in developing the story.

Future instalments means... Disney intend continue the franchise long after Ford/Williams are gone.

:-(

Heck, from this we can't even pin down Spielberg as a likely candidate to direct the fifth Ford starring instalment.

Lee - just a bit sad that one of his favourite once untouchable trilogy's ever may yet be turned into just another of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean. Who will play Indy? Johnny Depp?

Well, Disney and director changes didn't stop Williams from wanting to score Star Wars, so lets hope he wants to keep doing Indy too.I think he said recently that he did

And maybe Indy 5 has a bigger chance of being made while he's still alive now

The article also mentions that Spielberg would still be interested in directing future films, but a story would have to be in place before he commits. Whether this news affects how Spielberg & Lucas approve the story, I have no idea.

Having indy forever...is rather strange. Iindy is one character while star wars is a 'place' with long history... :/

Well, the character does have quite a history....

http://www.thecomicboard.com/forum/showthread.php?11453-Indiana-Jones-Timeline-Chronology

Of course, because they found they could shoehorn the character into nearly every major historical event of the first few decades of the twentieth century, both to sell media and a TV show, and to make learning history fun for kids.

But as the primary actor who played him in his adult years ages, and his cast of supporting characters retires or passes away... Do we really need and want the character of Indiana Jones to continue into Ford's 70s and beyond, or pass the torch onto a younger actor?

Some do, certainly. I think it will lead to the character becoming a parody of himself if a Chris Pine or Shia LeBeouf dons the fedora next.

And yet the character of James Bond was able to transcend the limitations of being played by one man in a finite timespan by being played by multiple actors across six decades, becoming almost timeless in the process. I think it's a little late for Indiana Jones to catch up to that legacy, but Disney is in the driver's seat now.

Having indy forever...is rather strange. Iindy is one character while star wars is a 'place' with long history... :/

Well, the character does have quite a history....

http://www.thecomicboard.com/forum/showthread.php?11453-Indiana-Jones-Timeline-Chronology

yeah, but you can only have limited stories in one person's lifetime.

Star wars has countless of lifetimes to tell for generations.

*That list is missing Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead novel :P

• 3 months later...

http://latino-review.com/2014/03/exclusive-indiana-jones-taking-james-bond-path/

Felt compelled to briefly come out of retirement to mention this story. This proposition, if true, feels like sacrilege to me, but I suppose you can't deny the inevitable forever. Disney wants to make some money from their investment and so a reboot is the only way forward, as much as it upsets my chronic nostalgic sentimentality for this franchise.

AND a reboot would probably mean the iconic theme would be replaced by another Zimmer 'reimagining', which is frightening to me.

The horror... the horror.

tnxbye

Quint lives!.

Put aside the guest2, become who you were born to be.

Back to the topic: I have no real desire for another Indiana Jones film in any shape or form. Having said that, this route seems like the only logical path right now.

Karol

I have no interest in another pathetic life form.

I have no real desire for another Indiana Jones film in any shape or form.

Me too.

I also feel that way about Star Wars.

Of course, because you are part of the anti new/modern film brigade.

I'm on board for a soft-reboot. Not eliminating all continuity, but going back to the 1930s/1940s era with Indy during his prime. There's no need to go for a total reboot, since the films were mainly episodic and not all that connected, aside from CRYSTAL SKULL.

I don't think continuing the series is sacrilege, since I don't think the franchise itself was all that sacred. It was one great film followed by sequels that were either hit or miss, and a TV series. Heck if they did the Bond thing back in the 90s instead of 20 years later, I think Dennis Quaid would have made an ideal successor. As it is now, I don't think Cooper will work. I think he's only being touted as the one the studio wants because he's a big name now that had a few hits and two Oscar noms. IMO, Josh Holloway would be the best choice you could possibly make as he has the right sensibilities for Indy and that this kind of casting is no different from how EON looks into Bond actors, finding a name that is well known but not someone that has already become a movie star with hits. It's safer to go with an actor on his level than trying to find a high profile film actor.