Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

I think this film is Close Encounters 2 in disguise. The Spielberg Cinematic Universe is slowly converging. The explosion Jim witnesses in Empire of the Sun is the same one that Indy survives in KOTCS. It's all connected.

Karol

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I think Disney just figured with Covenant, Arrival, Life, etc. it would be better to wait a while before releasing another movie featuring aliens.

No! Aliens!

Leave those to Star Wars.

• 4 months later...
Just now, Woj said:

How can this be Indy 5 when there have only been three movies? What did I miss? 

There was a hot mess of a film released in between Raiders and Last Crusade apparently. 

This is not surprising. With Disney calling the shots now, it's likely they will play it as safe as possible. What will be interesting is to see if they remain true to certain elements of the trilogy given that Spielberg is directing this. One of the big changes in Crystal Head was the lack of Indy killing people. I get the sense that Spielberg wanted to soften the character and that despite what people may say about Lucas ruining that film, Spielberg was also to blame. The more family friendly tone felt very modern Spielberg.

Shia not returning is a surprise to exactly no one. That bridge was not just burned, it was burned, demolished, fell into the river, sank to the bottom and covered by radioactive landfill.

I just want to see what off screen fate Spielberg has planned for him.

"It's been a tough few years. First dad, then Marcus, then Ox. Thank fuck I got rid of that Williams guy. Loser. I hear Canada's a great place, especially with what's going on in Vietnam. That Edsel was worth the money".

He was Richard, yes. Having Ford's older Indy reflect on his 'glory years' and then having Pratt play him in flashback was one way I saw Indy 5 possibly working. 

Otherwise, them attempting to sell us seventysomething Ford as still being the action hero could be terribly cringeworthy. 

I want the edgier guy who brought us Temple of DoomWar of the Worlds and Munich directing Indiana Jones again!

Not the lame-ass, watered-down, family-friendly, blood-free, grandpa director who brought us Crystal Skull.

Indy V will be what TFA was for the Star Wars franchise, there's no doubt Spielberg et al. have taken a good hard look at their mistakes with KotCS!

Lucasfilm/Disney have had a story group setup for Indy 5 since the acquisition. I doubt they've been twiddling their thumbs for 4 years... Unless they work... Part-time.

Spielberg's probably been shepherding a light development on the film for years. Even without a clear McGuffin you can still develop action setpieces and so forth (although you're more likely to end up with a confused mess like KOTCS, which felt like 8 screenplays mashed together). 

I'm hoping Koepp was handed a polished story treatment that Spielberg had workshopped, rather than creating a script from thin air. If KOTCS is any indication, his dialogue will be terrible and his attempts at "comedy" awkward and flat, so he needs all the help from source material he can get.

If Spielberg has any sense he'll bring in a script doctor like Tom Stoppard to iron out the wrinkles.

A whole story group for one damn film? Back in 1979-80, Lucas farmed it off to another bloke and said "make it good" and it turned out good.

They seem to hire entire teams for everything these days, and yet all we hear about is high unemployment. They have a team of 18 composers for each film, sometimes even two directors working side by side. Someone took the phrase "you need a team of people to change a light bulb" way too far.

21 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So, a remake of ROTLA?

I can't wait! Now with more CGI! And this time Indy is after the Ark of the Union, which is just a bigger version of the Ark of the Covenant. Naturally more Nazis will explode and there'll be more spectacular visual effects in the finale.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

Indy V will be what TFA was for the Star Wars franchise, there's no doubt Spielberg et al. have taken a good hard look at their mistakes with KotCS!

A watered down version of Raiders?

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

I thought that was what the Temple Run and Tomb Raider properties are for!

Lara Croft > Indiana Jones

As much as TFA was a rehash of A New Hope, I think it was a good idea on Kennedy/Kasdan/Abrams' part to start from those strong foundations to then build the new sequel trilogy from. 

TFA wasn't a brilliant film, it didn't break new ground, but I don't think Star Wars ever can or will, at least not in it's current form. It was successful, however in creating new characters and effectively inspiring a renaissance for the franchise.

If Indy V can do that for the franchise, then by all means it should. I think they're beating a dead horse but as we've seen from Disney and Hollywood there's no stopping the money train now...

(Unless you have a dragon!)

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

As much as TFA was a rehash of A New Hope, I think it was a good idea on Kennedy/Kasdan/Abrams' part to start from those strong foundations to then build the new sequel trilogy from. 

TFA wasn't a brilliant film, it didn't break new ground, but I don't think Star Wars ever can or will, at least not in it's current form. It was successful, however in creating new characters and effectively inspiring a renaissance for the franchise.

If Indy V can do that for the franchise, then by all means it should. I think they're beating a dead horse, but there's no stopping the money train now...

(Unless you have a dragon!)

LFL had a blank slate without TFA. They didn't need to play it safe. All they needed was a film that was fun and set up the new characters. 

What we got was the unimaginative JJ being the unimaginative JJ. 

That's not entirely true, Lucasfilm and Disney were sweating bricks to make sure it wasn't another Prequel scenario i.e. it wouldn't be utter shit, with Disney assuming control and writing Lucas out of the picture to make sure of that. 

I don't think I went in expecting something new and imaginative because, (and Rich Evans from RedLetterMedia makes the point) there isn't much you can do with the Star Wars IP because of how steeped in iconic imagery it is that if you steer too far away from that (make something wholly original) it would piss fans off. 

I think there is a great deal from the Expanded Universe, before the retcon, that had taken Star Wars in new directions - some good and other bad. It's possible The Last Jedi and IX will give us something interesting and new.

Nothing about these films since the OT has ever given me the impression it was anything more than a money-making venture. Any creativity found in these films is merely a by-product, not counting Williams of course.

Star Wars has been little more than a money-making venture since Return of the Jedi. Remember Ewoks?

People view the entire OT with rose-tinted glasses but there were only two genuine masterpieces in that trilogy. Just imagine if the series didn't have JW to save the day time and time again!

Wouldn't Indy 5 as his next film be too fast? It's not due for release for another 3 years (and it was just recently bumped from 2019 to 2020 because it wouldn't be ready in time).

Or are we heading towards another Spielberg 3-year hiatus, ala Munich (2005) to Crystal Skull (2008), Crystal Skull (2008) to Tintin (2011) or Lincoln (2012) to Bridge of Spies (2015)? Seeing as Williams only does Spielberg and Star Wars now, that would suck! :( 

At least Williams should already be recording Episode IX twelve months from now...