Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

Well, it couldn't have been rushed if three different screenwriters (at least) worked on this story for five years (at least).

Karol

So, if they haven't even started on a script, I call the film not being made until 2020.

I also call it having the Chinese as baddies. Chinese from space maybe.

I also call it having the Chinese as baddies. Chinese from space maybe.

Not from space, but from the space between spaces.

But Disney want Staaaar Waaaars! Nothing but Staaaar Waaaarrrsss!

When they're done with that, then this, I suppose.

I guess we'll have different Indy continuities or something.

Compared against all American women in their 60s? Sure. Compared against today's hottest 20 somethings? No, not even close.

Hey Stiff, I was at a tech expo yesterday and there was this chick there who I swear looked just like Ann-margret circa 1964.

Her hair could have lit an inferno. I wish I had my camera.

My hunch for the rest of the new cast:

Jennifer Lawrence as Marion Ravenwood, Margot Robbie as Willie Scott and Miley Cyrus as the ghost of Elsa Schneider.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Indy 5 dream-team: (I would like all different people involved)

Director: Brad Bird

Writers: Brad Bird and Andrew Stanton

Indiana Jones: Chris Pratt

Love interest: Vera Farmiga

Friend and fellow Professor: Hugh Laurie

Villain: Ewan McGregor

Indy's Mother: Kate Mulgrew

Indy's brother: Ben Browder

Composer: Michael Giacchino

It would take place in the 1930's and the plot would involve Indy's family. He would be reunited with his Mother who he thought was dead, and she tells him he has a brother doing similar things to him, and he's somewhere in the world now searching for something (a unique and valuable artifact). He goes in search of him and finds him, or he thinks he does. He finds Ewan McGregor, who convinces Indy that he's his brother and involves him in what he's searching for because he knows Indy's expertise will find it quicker. Adventures ensue, they find the first clue and head to the location where they will find a map that will lead them to the artifact. They find Vera Farmiga, who is at the location when they get there. McGregor tells Farmiga that they will find it and it will be there's. Indy tells him that it belongs in a museum and he can't keep it, he then reveals himself as the villain, shooting Farmiga as she runs off with the map that leads to the artifact, and he attempts to kill Indy. Indy barely escapes with his life and is helped out by a mysterious stranger; Browder. After Indy is rested and fully conscious, the man introduces himself simply as George. Indy introduces himself as Indy. They discover they are quite similar, and head out back to the location of the map for clues as to where Farmiga and McGregor may have gone. They find a clue that leads them to the place where Farmiga may be heading first on the trail. They go there and run into her on the way. She is injured so cannot go ahead without assistance. Pursued by McGregor; Farmiga's character Josie, hides with Indy and George. They help take the bullet out of her shoulder. She says they look similar and they finally sit down to talk, finding out they're brothers. Farmiga agrees to let them share the credit of the find if they help with the map. They all figure it out together and head out to find it, unknowingly they are being followed by McGregor. Indy and Josie grow closer. George admits he has a wife and 2 kids, and they finally make it to the place on the map where it is hidden. But secretly Josie, Indy and George all have been leading McGregor to a different place, because they find out he is following them. When they get there, they set up an ambush to capture him. McGregor has a friend though, that Indy thought was his friend, Hugh Laurie's character who is revealed at the beginning in classes talking with Indy about going to find his brother. Laurie shows up to the surprise of Indy, who welcomes him with open arms, and then realises, how did he know to find them there. Laurie shoots and kills George. Indy has to shoot Laurie, and McGregor steals the map. He leaves Laurie behind to die and goes after the artifact. George tells him with his dying words, to get the artifact, and stop McGregor. Indy vows to take care of his family, and their mother, and he dies. Indy and Farmiga's Josie go after McGregor and at the final place where the artifact is, they fight in a big climactic fight. Farmiga tries to solve the puzzle and get the artifact while they are engaged in combat. She gets it and McGregor knocks Indy down and fights Farmiga, taking it from her. As McGregor tries to escape, Indy catches up with him, but he kicks Indy back and he falls down a cliff, holding on. Farmiga leaves McGregor to escape while she saves Indy. They both get out and go on a big car chase for McGregor, through snowy peaks and mountainous areas. Indy and Josie finally win and stop McGregor, but he commits suicide by driving off a cliff and into a valley, taking the artifact with him. Indy think they've lost it and is saddened, but Josie tells him it doesn't matter. After the credits, Josie is seen pulling the artifact from her bag and placing it on a desk, in someones office in an unknown location. She just says the words; "So, is this what you were looking for?" and it end.

Also just to add, on the Giacchino choice as Composer, this piece has convinced me of how fun an Indy score from Giacchino would be:

Why wouldn't you want John Williams to score it?

Simply because he's scored 4 already. I would like to hear different peoples takes on things, which is why I'm very excited to hear a Desplat score for the Star Wars universe. I want new and fresh stuff. Just another Spielberg, Williams, Ford Indiana Jones Film doesn't interest me at all. I would see it of course, but it doesn't interest me to see the same stuff redone time and time again.