'For Your Consideration'

MSM

Those albums should be what is sent out by either the film studio, record label or composer themselves to members of the Oscar nomination committee for consideration for nomination in the Best Original Score catagory.

How rare are they?

http://i.ebayimg.com/08/!CFHt4P!!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!igE1Nkl-EO1BNUF0!ODIg~~0_12.JPG

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all are very expensive on ebay - that's for sure.

I remember that last year one was bidding over 2000$ (or al little fewer) for the Avatar 3CD edition, only for it to leak online a few hours later.

and of course a few months later there was that 5CD Edition... lol!

They all are very expensive on ebay - that's for sure.

I remember that last year one was bidding over 2000$ (or al little fewer) for the Avatar 3CD edition, only for it to leak online a few hours later.

and of course a few months later there was that 5CD Edition... lol!

:blink: Really? Well, I just bought this HP album for $5.99! :lol:

If it's an original, pressed copy then they are quite rare. A few hundred maybe.

I'll see when it arrives...if it's not a pressed copy I'lll return it the same day. The info looked quite genuine.

So many people on ebay literally just photograph a CD-R with selfprinted labels and say it is a CD-R Promo Edition. Ridiciulous!

some guys are just insane.

I have seen Harry Potter Academy Award Promos offered so many times on ebay the last 5 years, I wonder if they are real.

Well, you'll find it out - let me know ;) But I doubt anybody would sell a original AMPAS-Promo for so cheap.

Why do you want to have it, it contains no extra music?

I got the Return of the King FYC pressed CD for about £5 in a London used place, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com....x-/180582622865

No extra music, but due to the hype about the full scores coming soon, I never got round to buying the OST, so thought I might as well have it.

From what I've seen, it's only promos that contain additional music that fetch ridiculous prices.

Yes, if it's different than the OST, then they go for big bucks. There's no point otherwise. Oh, and Avatar sold for $3,000. It was at $1,500 within the last 3 seconds, and then it doubled right before the listing ended. 2 hours later, everyone in the world had it.

The whole thing about the AVATAR 3-CD set was a joke. Whoever spent $3,000+ on it (if that actually happened) was rather dumb and the fact it actually ended up being a CD-R instead of factory pressed CD's is even more stupid. Also as we know some cues were in mono instead of stereo and as Padmé said a "5-CD" set leaked a few months later. All though that 5-CD set contained repeated music so it essentially could have been just 3-CD's after all. That's how I have it set up... Discs 1 and 2 which are really full contains the entire score while Disc 3 are strictly for alternate cues.

I never get the hype about Academy Promo CD's. I mean if they contain either the full score or more music that was not included on the OST then I can see going after it. However, this day in age it's a bit stupid to do so as most of them end up being leaked online.

My wife and I actually used the Lara Fabian single for our first dance at our wedding. It was between "We Have All The Time In The World" and that song. I wanted to get John Williams into my wedding somehow so "For Always" won.

My wife and I actually used the Lara Fabian single for our first dance at our wedding. It was between "We Have All The Time In The World" and that song. I wanted to get John Williams into my wedding somehow so "For Always" won.

You chose....poorly!

(the song, not the wife)

As much as I love to disagree with Stefan, from time, to time, I concur with him on this one. It really should have been "WHATTITW", but, hey, it's your wedding.

Did you dance to the solo, or duet (please say you didn't dance to Josh Growbag!)?

Still on the subject of "A.I."; was the 2-disc set that came out a few years ago, a FYC promo? The sound on that is stunning, and far outstrips the OST.

Still on the subject of "A.I."; was the 2-disc set that came out a few years ago, a FYC promo? The sound on that is stunning, and far outstrips the OST.

The FYC promo sounds much the same as the OST, pretty shoddy.

The FYC promo sounds much the same as the OST, pretty shoddy.

No, it sounds tons better, Stefan. It's either your ears, or your hi fi.

Ohhhh.. that does not look real, there should be copyright info on the disc, label, prod company and whatnot!

Yea people make fake FYCs all the time. If the contents are identical to the OST, I'd always recommend just getting the OST.

The only true FYCs I have in my collection are Angela's Ashes (no dialogue) and Apollo 13 (more music than OST / no dialogue)

Here's the item I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/...BSA%3AUS%3A1123

Does it look like the real thing? How btw should I find out it's real?

You should have just bought the OST. The cover is legitimate, but I've never owned an official Academy promo, so I don't know if they come with back covers or what the discs look like.

That disc and cover looks identical in style to my Chamber of Secrets one. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of mine, as I did not buy it on eBay, and bought it many years ago. But I can't say for 100% sure that yours (or mine) is "authentic". I have no idea how one would authenticate this, but I would guess that it is the real deal.

I does not look like the A.I. Promo which had the same Cover style - but I remember that the Disclabel looked more professional/official with different fonts and the WB logo on it and lots of smallsized copyright text.

soo HP1 was the same year, why would it look like.. this?

Well, maybe the one I saw was fake?

EDIT-

Oh sorry, well I clearly remember it, but it might have been fanmade, so it looks more real.

Just found out that the Original A.I. 2CD FYC promo just had written A.I vol.1 and vol2.-Composer: John Williams on both discs. Including a simple inlay no backsleeve

so your Potter might be real, although that simple design is rather easy to duplicate..

Yes. Mine is very, very similar. The font on my disc is just a wee bit different. Similar, but different. It does say "Composer: John Williams" on the disc. The "BEST ORIGINAL SCORE" on the label on mine is in italic. But again, mine is for the sequel score, so I'd expect a few differences.

It should be pointed out that a few promos are being sent on CD-R format instead of pressed CDs. The problem being now, that one can't really be sure when is buying the real promo or not.

Miguel!

If you can't figure it out, who could :(

Maybe the printing quality of the booklet?

I came across the thread and I want to make some things clear and to eliminate some rumors.

First I want to reply a PN to MSM, because he contacted me and wants to buy my academy promo. But I think it is interesting for all users here.

I can see that MSM CD Harry Potter promo is silver in color, do you have this CD now? I see there is an inner ring what does it say? I ask this, because I believe you have the original pressed promo. The photo is made by a bad camera, it does look strange.

Anyway, my inner ring says: DOC-33893-1 HARRY-P / MR. MASTER. I can see in your pictures that it begins with D... in the inner ring.

Conclusion: No CD-R can duplicate the inner ring. Especially when the title is inscripted. "HARRY-P" stands for Harry Potter, "DOC" stands for Warner Bros. Academy Promos. CD-R's were made first, inscription tells you the company of that CD-R. After then a bootleger buy the CD-R and then they burn the tracks on the CD. An original pressed CD were especially made of the album. So it is engraved especially of this.

Also, you can easily see the difference between an original and a CD-R. On the back on the cover side, a CD-R has a light-colored and a dark-colored shift. The light-colored shift is the data contents (the data which is burned on the CD-R) and the dark-colored shift is the free space of the CD-R. A pressed CD did not have such "phenomenon".

So don't be fooled by others, they say "it must be an Warner Bros. logo and copyright info on that promo". The Warner academy promos did include the logo since 2004. The 2001 oscar promos of Warner only says the title and the composer. The 2002 and 2003 academy promos of Warner has a slight difference in the text (the location, etc.) - as Hedji pointed out.

And it is not fully right that the companies sent CD-R promos of them. They sent indeed (!), but until 2005 (e.g. Polar Express). If someone has a CD-R of Warner academy promos before 2005, then it is a bootleg.

I can give you the proof that it my is really the original one that I have also the A.I. 2CD oscar promo, and there is the same "system". Looks the same optical characteristics and it is engraved: "DOC-32978-1 A.I.-1" - for the first CD and "DOC-32979-1 A.I.-2" - for the second CD (and of course MR. MASTER). Same info here: A CD-R could not replicate the engraved A.I. for that matter. And It has the same color of the back label side (not light-colored and dark-colored).

Miss Padme is right, the A.I. says only A.I. Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 and of course: the composer.

I hope that you could understand my text. However, if you (MSM) wishes to buy it then it Ok for me.