Hlao-roo

20 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It was inevitable.

I can already hear NeoJWFANers' excitement about this announcement.

It's a pity Villenueve apparently isnt willing to leave his comfort zone and go for a composer who might be more fitting.

Jóhannson is not only fitting, but one of my own top candidates after Vangelis himself -- weaving dark, ethereal textures like those the Greek did for the original.

Fantastic to have his involvement confirmed at last!

Johann is definitely an ideal candidate for this. Glad he's confirmed for the gig, though it comes as no surprise. I'm confident he'll find the right aesthetic temperament for BR2.

For all the naysayers, who exactly were you expecting? John Williams? 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I dont remember a single note from Sicario. Do you? Or from Prisoners?

Yes.

Say what you will about the style of those two scores, but they were were an integral part of the atmosphere of those films. And that's the kind of skill BR2 would require.

I surely hope it's not going to be a Daft Punk-ish score.

I wonder is Johann is going to do his own thing or is he going to copy Vangelis' style? 

Daft Punk's TRON: LEGACY is not only one of the very best scores of the 21st century and on my own personal alltime Top 50 list, it's also a great example of an artist having a sound that is tailored exactly to the tone of the film (8-bit, retro Arcade sounds for neon CGI landscapes -- "amped up" by orchestral forces). But that's also the only thing it has in common with BLADE RUNNER or Jóhannsson. Beyond that, I have no doubt they're going to be very different in style.

My guess is Jóhann will do his own thing (he always does), but perhaps reference some instrumentation and "synth sounds" of Vangelis' original.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Tron Legacy just sounds like RCP music to me. Low brass, cello's, big drums, synth.

Yeah, but then again you have about as much knowledge about electronica as John Williams has about social media and modern composing software.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

That is not a necessity for Steef to serve his function in this place.

I've been listening to film music for about 25 years now. Are you suggesting I don't know what the hell I'm talking about?

If you are then I actually and seriously take offense to that.

Of course not. I don't even know how this thread came to that conclusion! I just took the opportunity to crack a meaningless joke while we're at it.

Meant no offence friend!

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Daft Punk's TRON: LEGACY is not only one of the very best scores of the 21st century and on my own personal alltime Top 50 list, it's also a great example of an artist having a sound that is tailored exactly to the tone of the film (8-bit, retro Arcade sounds for neon CGI landscapes -- "amped up" by orchestral forces).

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:bowdown:wizard::rock:

Jóhann Jóhannsson: “I saw the original when I was 13, the year it came out, and it had a huge effect on me. I was already a big fan of Philip K. Dick’s novels, so I knew the original. Obviously the film is very different from the book, but I was a huge fan from day one and it’s a film that’s hugely important to me in terms of both being a visual masterpiece – this amazing world that Ridley Scott and his team created – and also in terms of the music and the sound design, which is tremendously strong and which was very memorable at the time when I saw it. This is true of many people of my generation who experienced that film, it had a deep impact on them.” 

“Vangelis is a composer that has been a huge influence on my own work – not only the Blade Runner score, many of his solo albums have been a rich part of my life for a long time. What I love about his work, which I think is also present in my own work, is his sense of space – the way he uses space, the way he uses silence and a sense of monumentalism. Vangelis is a huge influence on me as a composer, certainly in the early part of my career, so I have the deepest respect for him as a composer.” 

http://www.factmag.com/2016/08/27/blade-runner-2-johann-johannsson-orphee/

• 2 weeks later...

Interview Villeneuve

It’s strange to talk about a movie that I just did as I’m doing something else. I’m so profoundly into the process right now. My life is 100 percent Blade Runner right now, so I’m in the future, I’m not with you anymore. 

What does it mean for your life to be 100 percent Blade Runner? 

I wake up at six, I get to bed at midnight, it’s like seven days a week and you dream about it. Very often I wake up in the middle of the night, and I know I’m doomed, because I know I won’t go back to bed, because I’m too excited, there’s so much work. So I don’t sleep a lot. So that’s why if you ask me what I’m going to do after Blade Runner, I’m going to sleep. 

With Blade Runner, will the visual language pay tribute to the original, or will it be something completely your own? Do you feel pressure to live up to the original? 

First of all, it’s not possible to live up to the original. It’s Ridley Scott. It’s a masterpiece. It’s one of the best sci-fi films, one of the best films in the past 50 years. 

For me, what terrorizes me right now is what I’m doing is taking Blade Runner and making it my own, and that is horrific. To realize that when I look at the dailies, it’s not Ridley Scott, it’s me, and that it’s different. It’s still the same universe, we are still in the same dream, but it’s mine, so it’s like I have no idea how you people will react, I don’t know. It has its own life. 

How has it been working with Ryan Gosling? 

I must say, the thing I can say is that Ryan Gosling is insanely good. I’m very impressed by that actor. It’s the first time I’ve worked with him and I never had someone that was as much a trooper, as dedicated, as precise and engaged. I feel that he is a real partner with me. I said to him, "You know, we are going to do it together and it’s like walking in a dark room with a lighter trying to find the way out. It’s a huge room and we are alone and it’s dark and it’s cold." And he said, "Yeah, I understand exactly." But we have a lot of fun. 

It’s funny because very often we say that nobody realizes that a bunch of Canadians took over Blade Runner. We are, like, covert, nobody knows. I knew he was a great actor, I didn’t know how brilliant — he’s really an intelligent person, very clever, very provocative mind, he’s bringing a lot to the project right now, a lot, in a positive way. I’m very excited about it. 

And what’s it like to work with Harrison Ford? 

It’s a long shoot, and I started prep with him, but I didn’t start to shoot with him. But I will say that Harrison, to my great relief … you know Harrison Ford, he was one of my biggest heroes. I grew up with him, so to meet a man like that who is kind of a legend in your heart, that has that kind of humility, generosity, open-mindedness and simplicity, one of the nicest human beings I’ve met. I’m really looking forward to start working with him. 

What are your top three science-fiction films? 

2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Blade Runner … so you can see that I’m in deep *beep*

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/venice-arrival-director-denis-villeneuve-925854

On 24/08/2016 at 0:33 PM, Stefancos said:

Tron Legacy just sounds like RCP music to me. Low brass, cello's, big drums, synth.

Out of curiosity would you also say that about the Outlander track? 

Makes me wonder how much control Villeneuve actually has ... He once said he doesn't make a movie if he doesn't have total artistic control. Perhaps that was before Hollywood bought him ....

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ridley Scott will oversee and aprove the final cut, naturally.

He talks about the producers of Prisoners, who are also the producers of the BR sequel. They are the ones in charge. Maybe that's a good thing!

Alex

12 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Villeneuve does not have final say over BR2!

http://theplaylist.net/director-denis-villeneuve-wants-make-dune-movie-doesnt-final-cut-blade-runner-2-20160913/

And he wants to make Dune! (but doesn't have Nolan power to make it happen)

Not even David Lynch had final cut, over DUNE, so what chance this guy?

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But isn't Ridley producing this?

There are many kind of producers. Ridley is executive producer but at the top of the pyramid you have the producers of Prisoners. They are also the founders of Alcon Entertainment. And Alcon Entertainment probably has to answer to WB.

Bud Yorkin and Jerry Perenchio.

‘I know who owns Blade Runner, he’s one of my closest friends! Bud Yorkin owns Blade Runner because Bud Yorkin, the former television producer with Norman Lear—all those hit TV shows—he had made a few movies, and he and his business partner were the completion bond for Blade Runner. The film went 8 million over budget, which was a fortune at the time, and Bud and [Jerry] Perenchio got all the ancillary rights, including t-shirts, home videos, toys, and remake and sequel rights—so they own the picture now. And they’re planning a prequel with Ridley Scott. But Warners didn’t have the courtesy to say ‘Oh, this guy owns it.’ All the young lawyers up there wrote, ‘We don’t own it, and don’t know who does’—and I say fuck them. Really. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction of ending that reaction for you and others. - William Friedkin