Hlao-roo

• 2 weeks later...

From the horse's mouth

http://www.pressreader.com/france/studio-ciné-live/20170628/282007557396521

As suspected - Johann does the atmospherics and the main themes, HZ and BW help out with the more Vangelis esque stuff.

Lots of new stuff in this, Villeneuve sounds very excited

The way Villeneuve makes it sound here is that they're 'helping out' Johannsson. Not partly replacing him/redoing his cues in like what happened on GITS.

wtf

Johannsson is more than capable of providing "Vangelis-like" material without the help of Zimmer and co. Is Villeneuve losing control of this production?

I suddenly have less faith in Villeneuve...

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

From the horse's mouth

http://www.pressreader.com/france/studio-ciné-live/20170628/282007557396521

As suspected - Johann does the atmospherics and the main themes, HZ and BW help out with the more Vangelis esque stuff.

Lots of new stuff in this, Villeneuve sounds very excited

How reliable is this source? It's being really fidgety on my laptop right now. And filmmusicreporter isn't always very reliable. This whole story sounds like a fanboy's joke.

13 minutes ago, KK said:

wtf

Johannsson is more than capable of providing "Vangelis-like" material without the help of Zimmer and co. Is Villeneuve losing control of this production?

I suddenly have less faith in Villeneuve...

How reliable is this source? It's being really fidgety on my laptop right now. And filmmusicreporter isn't always very reliable. This whole story sounds like a fanboy's joke.

It's an actual editing room interview with Villeneuve from exactly a month ago published in a French magazine. 

Well then that would be very disappointing indeed.

I can't imagine Villeneuve pushing for this. Must be Scott & co. Doesn't sound too promising for BR2.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Well then that would be very disappointing indeed.

I can't imagine Villeneuve pushing for this. Must be Scott & co. Doesn't sound too promising for BR2.

For those jumping to conclusions...here's the whole quote in French:

Comment avez-vous trouvé un compositeur pour succéder à Vangelis ?

L’Islandais Johann Johannsson [avec lequel Denis Villeneuve a travaillé sur Prisoners, Sicario et Premier contact, NDLR] compose le thème principal comme prévu. Mais, au vu de l’ampleur de la tâche, Benjamin Wallfisch et Hans Zimmer ont rejoint l’équipe pour aider Johann. C’est difficile d’arriver à la cheville de Vangelis ! On a des sons atmosphériques ahurissants de Johann, mais j’avais besoin d’autres choses, et Hans nous a aidés.

I don't buy it. Villeneuve needs to hire Zimmer and Wallfisch because he felt it would have been hard for Johannsson to capture Vangelis' sound on his own? Yeah right!

Not that Zimmer isn't a good choice for BR2, but this suddenly sounds like a creatively stifling project for Johannsson, and perhaps even Villeneuve.

7 minutes ago, KK said:

I don't buy it. Villeneuve needs to hire Zimmer and Wallfisch because he felt it would have been hard for Johannsson to capture Vangelis' sound on his own? Yeah right!

Not that Zimmer isn't a good choice for BR2, but this suddenly sounds like a creatively stifling project for Johannsson, and perhaps even Villeneuve.

Idk, the way I read the quote is that Villeneuve (or if you really don't buy it okay - Scott. It's really his show to run, not Warners/Sony or even Alcon as much) wanted more than just JJ's atmospherics. Think the use of Richter in Arrival....

Again, that comes with the grave misunderstanding that Johannsson is not capable of channeling Vangelis' sound, when much of his body of work proves otherwise.

Villeneuve's choice to use Richter over an original Johannsson piece in Arrival was also a mistake in my opinion, since again, Johannsson has written many pieces in that vein and style in the past.

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Giacchino should start taking out ads in the backs of Hollywood trade magazines.

HAVING LATE PRODUCTION STRUGGLES?

CALL THE EXPERTS!

We have decades of experience giving antsy producers exactly the safe sound they've been asking for.

Call 1-800-MEH-MUSIC

This post gets an Official Bilbo Like™

Im terrified of another Middle-earth film being made with no Shore and Gia stepping in.

Or Fantastic Beasts!

Is no franchise safe?

3 minutes ago, KK said:

Again, that comes with the grave misunderstanding that Johannsson is not capable of channeling Vangelis' sound, when much of his body of work proves otherwise.

Villeneuve's choice to use Richter over an original Johannsson piece in Arrival was also a mistake in my opinion, since again, Johannsson has written many pieces in that vein and style in the past.

If anything - this proves this is less 'studio interference' but Villeneuve (or if you have to - Scott) making this decision, as wrong as you feel it may be

Zimmer spoke about a secret movie he was working on in between tours, in a recent interview, so this must be it. 

So this is as close as Zimmer has worked with Ridley Scott since Matchstick Men and Black Hawk Down.

Disappointing.

I was looking at what Johansson would do with this one.

Now it will be a troubled score.

A mixture of what Johansson did, with the atmospheres of Wallfisch horror movies and the Zimmer's old maneirisms. :(

[ ... FSM text wiped out and ignored ;)  .... ]

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

Ignore whatever FSM say and refer back to the French Villeneuve quote posted.

https://www.pressreader.com/france/studio-ciné-live/20170628/282007557396521

The link is broken! :)

I searched on the around and found it.

It is an effort "collective" in an bad way.

This increases my excitement for the score, but decreases it for the film.  Weird.  I suppose the prospect of two great composers being involved is appealing, but the implications for possible tonal inconsistencies in the film that may lead to such a collaboration are not.

Well with this and the Richter needle drops in Arrival this particular director-composer relationship has become a bit of a disappointment, that's for sure.

Spielberg is asked to help out Martin Scorsese to direct certain scenes. Sounds crazy, right? It's not true, of course, but it would be the same thing.

"Tangerine Dream to help Vangelis on Scott's new film called Blade Runner." 

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The question is, was Johannsson not able to make certain music or did he not want to. 

Good question. Perhaps he wasn't able to give the director what he wanted. As a film composer its very important to be versatile.

It's probably more important for the producers. I mean, this was a producer's call. Villeneuve wanted to worked with his buddy Johhansson but the people who eventually want their money back think more in terms of Zimmer. Perhaps Johhansson went too far or too atmospheric. In any case, this must feel like an insult to Johannsson.

Main BR2 theme: Hans Zimmer

Filler music/background droning: Johann Johanssonn

Pretty much. Howard 'blamed' Horner for not doing the film any favours and Horner shrugged in an interview years later, sayin that the movie just was not very good (true).

Though having RCP alumni helping you out with your score might be a OK thing in 2017, i imagine Horner and Goldsmith (to cite two old-guarders) would be appalled by the prospect of other guys making your shit work better.

You make it sound as if it's the composers who are behind it, Steef.  As if Johann wanted Zimmer to do a few tracks! (Zimmer: I will do it, Johann, as long as composer X and Y can also do a few tracks.)

Zimmer is behind it. Or at least to a degree. 

Many of the composers that emerged via his companies are more collaboratively minded than the "traditional" filmscore composer.

Its the "pop" mindset taking over from the classical one.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Zimmer is behind it. Or at least to a degree. 

Many of the composers that emerged via his companies are more collaboratively minded than the "traditional" filmscore composer.

Though TGP will frown at the notion, i don't think that that many of the (better) guys working there really fancy the final result. Sure, it takes off workload and may give you sometimes good creative input and lots of technical finessing you wouldn't do on your own, but it always kind of washes away particular viewpoints.

I do not mind as consumer of the end result, but many of the interviews praising the Hans machine seem a bit like pr whitewashing to me, with Powell sometimes having a slip of the tongue when admitting that you will not become a second Ravel (paraphrasing) there.

16 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I call it "The Hive"!

I was gonna say Cesspit but ok!

Junkie XL and Loren Balf. Yay!