Hlao-roo

4 hours ago, Jay said:

New promo video

The place needed redecorating, anyway :)

I caught this, last night. It actually looks pretty good.

Just a QQ, though: if The Tyrrell Corp. made eyes, in 2019, then why is Jared Leto blind..?

Still, they've kept the "swoosh" noise, and the scene is well-cut, and looks gorgeous.

I like.

Cremeritis!

On 8/27/2017 at 6:06 PM, thestat said:

Wow, that is actually a very bad poster. What is this - 2002 with Harry Gregson Williams providing a spastic score to Tony Scott's frantic editing? Or Villeneuve being challenged by the studio. Well, Johannson will do fine, as will Wallfisch - both are capable composers and as long as Balfe, Kaczynski etc. or any of the RCP, are banned this will be great.

Eh fuck off. 

It's so sad how Villeneuve has let us down on this front.  I only hope it was a producer decision.  The answer to whose responsibility it is will probably come with the composer announcement for his next film.

6 hours ago, antovolk said:

Looks like JJ is indeed officially off the project. Score credited to Zimmer and Wallfisch 

Aren't you the person who went INSANE on twitter over people saying Johannsson is being replaced and accusing pages who might have more inside info than you of not getting it right? Maybe time for an apology!

38 minutes ago, DJan said:

Aren't you the person who went INSANE on twitter over people saying Johannsson is being replaced and accusing pages who might have more inside info than you of not getting it right? Maybe time for an apology!

Who are you, again?

59 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Who are you, again?

Yeah, this ^

Anyway, people kept misquoting the interview where DV explicitly said they were just 'helping out' JJ. Not a case of inside info but mistranslations. No news sources claimed more inside info that that interview. But looks like those 'misquotes' were indeed proven correct by the poster, so yes I'm having a dinner of crow :lol: 

3 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Who are you, again?

Someone who witnessed that guy throw out insults to people on twitter who could read between the lines of that interview and see what was going on.

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Yeah, this ^

Anyway, people kept misquoting the interview where DV explicitly said they were just 'helping out' JJ. Not a case of inside info but mistranslations. No news sources claimed more inside info that that interview. But looks like those 'misquotes' were indeed proven correct by the poster, so yes I'm having a dinner of crow :lol: 

Not true, the pages I saw the news at clearly made it sound like they had other (unnamed) sources. And even if they didn't, anyone who understands the business just a little would know that a composer on Zimmer's level wouldn't come in as (per your "theory") an additional composer for a movie scored by Johannsson. That's about as plausible as John Williams composing additional music for Junkie XL's Tomb Raider lol.

On 30-7-2017 at 1:17 PM, Alexcremers said:

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that more and more music of Johann will be replaced.

220px-Alex_North's_2001_Jerry_Goldsmith_

Remember my wise words, people!

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's so sad how Villeneuve has let us down on this front.  I only hope it was a producer decision.  The answer to whose responsibility it is will probably come with the composer announcement for his next film.

The thing is, often times any break is the spark that keeps the director and composer apart. See Verbinski and Silvestri, Jonze and Burwell, Anderson and Mothersbaugh, Shyamalan and Howard, Aronofsky and Mansell (these last two remain to be seen, actually). Sacred collaborations are no longer safe. I'm glad Joe Wright went back to Marianelli after the Pan situation. 

If they had inside info, they should have added something to the effect of "per our sources, JJ is off the project completely". Every single page I saw who got it 'wrong' was saying that 'Villeneuve revealed that JJ is getting replaced', which is clearly what not he said in the interview. It's not about reading between the lines, it's about good/bad reporting. Thankfully it was only FSR and a few others who had the 'replaced' part, everyone else quoted it accurately.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The thing is, often times any break is the spark that keeps the director and composer apart. See Verbinski and Silvestri, Jonze and Burwell, Anderson and Mothersbaugh, Shyamalan and Howard, Aronofsky and Mansell (these last two remain to be seen, actually). Sacred collaborations are no longer safe. I'm glad Joe Wright went back to Marianelli after the Pan situation. 

Indeed. Perhaps that's why this is most disappointing to me, because Johannsson/Villeneuve seemed like the real deal. 

14 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

So we're going to hear JJ and a few tracks by Zimmer but JJ will not get a credit for composer? Is that it?

I suspect any music he wrote thus far will be rejected. 

11 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

This has Scott's fingerprints all over it. Due's a disaster when it comes to film music. 

Honestly, I think this could very well be Denis' decision. He's the one coming out and saying what's happening and that he wants more of out of the score that Johansson can't provide. I mean, it was his choice to keep the Max Richter temp as the melodic identity of Arrival, after all. 

Remember Legend? It wasn't the director's decision to exchange Jerry Goldsmith for Tangerine Dream. Calling Hans Zimmer at the last minute sounds like something a scared producer would do. Maybe JJ went too artsy and experimental?

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Better to play it safe and not risk the future of the Blade Runner franchise.

It's not about the franchise, I think. It's about this movie and Villeneuve's future. What I mean is, sci-fi movies are very expensive to make and people want to see their money back. I know that a lot of people don't consider what JJ is doing is music. It's possible Villeneuve felt he had to comply with the wish of some high-placed suit in order not put his own career at risk. With other words, he didn't fight for JJ to the death because he thought it might backfire on him.

I'm pretty sure JJ did his own thing and that this might have been the problem.

I wonder if Zimmer will do Zimmer or copy Vangelis ...

Of course, it's still possible that the poster is faulty.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:10 AM, Koray Savas said:

Jackson & Shore and the breaking of the fellowship. 

4 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Jackson & Shore and the breaking of the fellowship. 

Who would've thought monkey business would be the thing to break the two?

9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Honestly, I think this could very well be Denis' decision. He's the one coming out and saying what's happening and that he wants more of out of the score that Johansson can't provide. I mean, it was his choice to keep the Max Richter temp as the melodic identity of Arrival, after all. 

Other then maybe the Vangelis inspired bits, I'm not sure how Villenueve would be disappointed with Blade Runner's score. I mean that Richter piece was only actually used in once in film, near the end, and the rest of Johansson's work basically functioned as sound design. 

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's not about the franchise, I think. It's about this movie and Villeneuve's future. What I mean is, sci-fi movies are very expensive to make and people want to see their money back. I know that a lot of people don't consider what JJ is doing is music. It's possible Villeneuve felt he had to comply with the wish of some high-placed suit in order not put his own career at risk. With other words, he didn't fight for JJ to the death because he thought it might backfire on him.

I'm pretty sure JJ did his own thing and that this might have been the problem.

I wonder if Zimmer will do Zimmer or copy Vangelis ...

Of course, it's still possible that the poster is faulty.

I'm not sure a producer or even an executive would care about film music nowadays. They'd probably prefer the score to stay in the background anyway, which means they'd probably love Johannsson's approach, at least that's what I gather. 

33 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm not sure a producer or even an executive would care about film music nowadays. They'd probably prefer the score to stay in the background anyway, which means they'd probably love Johannsson's approach, at least that's what I gather. 

It's the fact that it's Zimmer that reeks of a producer's call. Villeneuve's movies never had that  Zimmer odour. That and the way he is suddenly ditching his buddy JJ.

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's the fact that it's Zimmer that reeks of a producer's call. Villeneuve's movies never had that  Zimmer odour. That and the way he is suddenly ditching his buddy JJ.

Yeah obviously, I'm going with the producer angel too. I just have no idea why they'd replace JJ with Zimmer considering that JJ probably would have given them what they wanted anyway. I'm guessing a producer was just being too nonspecific or something.

59 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

With the way productions are micromanaged these days I'm sure they care very much about the music that accompanies their product.

I'd say they probably care about how "unnoticeable" the music is. A lot of blockbuster scores these days are layered under lots of sound-effects, so you can barely hear anything. 

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Other then maybe the Vangelis inspired bits, I'm not sure how Villenueve would be disappointed with Blade Runner's score. I mean that Richter piece was only actually used in once in film, near the end, and the rest of Johansson's work basically functioned as sound design. 

The piece was played almost in its entirety during the dialogue less opening. Johansson wrote an original piece for it but the temp won out in the end.

I still maintain the possibility that this is his decision because typically producer calls result in a press release or an exec talking about the change, not the director himself expressing that he personally wanted more from the music . Zimmer's involvement here is just for PR purposes. It's going to be a Wallfisch score.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

The piece was played almost in its entirety during the dialogue less opening. Johansson wrote an original piece for it but the temp won out in the end.

I still maintain the possibility that this is his decision because typically producer calls result in a press release or an exec talking about the change, not the director himself expressing that he personally wanted more from the music . Zimmer's involvement here is just for PR purposes. It's going to be a Wallfisch score.

Isn't that pretty much the case with any of the scores where Zimmer has co-credit though? He just does the theme, and leaves the rest up to his composer / "team" so to say. 

I'm pretty sure this is the director's call.  The comments he's made about the situation ring true to me.

And frankly the Zimmer hate some of you have is blinding you to recognising that there are actually projects he might be well suited to contribute to...like this one.

14 hours ago, publicist said:

Tbh, the decision to keep a fairly blah Richter piece in 'Arrival' instead of providing an original approach to those (important) scenes already points to a tone-deaf director. 

It felt out of place to me. I loved the rest of the score in that movie.

Then again I'm still a bit pissed at the movie for wanting to be a random indie drama instead of a genuine hard sci-flick.

"Do you want to make a baby" oh what the fuck

On 5/9/2017 at 9:39 PM, Stefancos said:

Saw the trailer in the cinema. This doesnt look anything like Blade Runner!

Why not?