Hlao-roo

1 hour ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Now hold on a minute, how dare you! *scoffs*

Clearly Johansson wasn't up to the task and I needed to step in to save us from his mediocrity.

Alright, we need an admin to tell us whose account this is.

13 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I dont know

I listened to Benjamins work for IT

He can work well with scifi

You could make it through more than one track?  I sampled it and thought it sounded awful.

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It's a crime that it's the only David Fincher film not on blu. Fucking Twilight Time announced that they were going to release it 3 years ago and still nothing. Let Criterion do it right!

A Twilight Time release would be amazing if just for the isolated score (the music grew on me after revisiting the film a few weeks ago). On the other hand, a Criterion release would guarantee comprehensive special features, but I don't know if they would port over everything from the exhaustive Special Edition DVD

6 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

I have a high tolerance for the weird

and yes there are parts where its more jumpscare SFX than music, but there was stuff I liked

And because of some JNH impersonations he can work well with sci-fi? I wish i had your prophetic abilities.

13 hours ago, Will said:

It's kind of crazy how Wallfisch has suddenly become one of the hottest composers in Hollywood - yet still manages to stay rather under the radar here and in the public at large because he's usually given a co-credit with Zimmer. E.g. "Variation 15" on YouTube said "Composed by Benjamin Wallfisch [Produced by Hans Zimmer]," and nearly every comment was talking about how Zimmer strikes again, Zimmer is brilliant, etc., with only one or two mentions of Wallfisch. I'm not trying to say this is Zimmer's fault or anything, it's just an interesting dynamic.

It's a fact (some might say a sad fact) that, in the 80s, the credit STEVEN SPIELBERG PRESENTS carried a lot more weight than, for example, DIRECTED BY JOE DANTE.

This is just an extension of that.

I have every hope that BW will find his own musical voice, but having Zimmer on a poster, will help to sell the film.

...but not to me.

Alex, it truly is amazing how often you post information we are already talking about on the same page of the thread you post to.  Why don't you read the thread you're in before adding to it?

On 9/9/2017 at 10:02 AM, antovolk said:

Jóhann's agent has confirmed to Fréttablaðiðthat the Icelandic composer is no longer involved with the film in any capacity, though he is prohibited from saying anything at this point due to his contract.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2017/09/08/icelandic-film-composer-no-longer-attached-blade-runner-sequel

Some new information from an insider at Hans Zimmer's website:

"I can't say much because I don't know much... I think everyone involved has some crazy NDA so they can't talk about it.

But about what I know, the score has definitely been completed a while back. Hans & Ben started working on somewhere between april & june. Hans was on tour, but he spent his 15 days break in July 100% on it, and probably continued at the end of the tour in august. For the second LA HZ show, Denis Villeneuve was actually there.

So rescore ? Yes definitely... Last min rush job ? Nope."

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1598

On 9/15/2017 at 6:41 AM, Mephariel said:

Some new information from an insider at Hans Zimmer's website:

"I can't say much because I don't know much... "

Truer words were never spoken by a Zimmerite.

14 hours ago, Richard said:

It's competently made, but it adds absolutely nothing to the film, and that makes it irrelevant.

well than it fits with how irrelevant this movie tself feels

hoho!

Why are you all defending Johannson? Please explain your credentials for liking his work. Prisoners is great, The Beast from Sicario is an Oscar nominated SOUND-EFFECT event. Why do you champion a man you would have castigated in the past? Zimmer is cancer nowadays, but if he gets interested, there is some real innovation done. A bit like Vangelis.

3 minutes ago, thestat said:

Why do you champion a man you would have castigated in the past?

Are you talking to someone specific?  JWFan is not a monolith.  Perhaps some would castigate him, but I have loved his music since I first discovered him in 2006.  He's a great composer.

Please don't assume everyone has the same values as you.

Awesome. He is one my favourites, and it has to have been one of the tragedies of conteporary film music that the fact that Goldeneye was shot with a French financial incentive that resulted in Folk's dismissal from what would have been a career making event

Every time I see a post like this, a part of me wants to write the elaborate defence he's looking for, but the rest of me knows better.

Johannsson has had a great career. This year hasn't been too hot for him. But I'm confident he'll recover. Curious to see if Villeneuve will continue to work with him though, or if this film has killed yet another great composer-director relationship.

5 minutes ago, thestat said:

Awesome. He is one my favourites, and it has to have been one of the tragedies of conteporary film music that the fact that Goldeneye was shot with a French financial incentive that resulted in Folk's dismissal from what would have been a career making event

Huh?

18 minutes ago, thestat said:

Why are you all defending Johannson? Please explain your credentials for liking his work. Prisoners is great.

You answered your own question! :rimshot:

Please don't talk about you usual stuff in the Blade Runner thread, guys! Go to the video thread!

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

I still hope Johannsson will score Dune

That project is too big. It will need a big name. villeneuve is no longer that independent filmmaker from Canada.

On 9/21/2017 at 8:03 AM, Romão said:

I still hope Johannsson will score Dune

Don't get your hopes up high on that one. If studio executives wasn't too fond of Johannsson scoring BR2049, I can't imagine what they think about him scoring Dune. 

Villeneuve talks a bit about the score - says it's very much inspired by Vangelis, mentions Wallfisch first before Zimmer, and that 'it's one of the best scores he's heard'. Also confirms the version going out to cinemas is *his* director's cut

Villenueve: "The movie you will see is the Director's Cut. Maybe in the future there will be a Studio Cut. Hahahaa."

Villeneuve: "We have used the same instruments that Vangelis used."

Hmmm ... interesting!