Hlao-roo

Denis Villeneuve talks BR and BR 2049 at google:

- Villeneuve is right when he says that Scott was already thinking of a sequel in 1982.

- He talks about the score. You can't do a Blade Runner movie without the sound of a Yamaha CS-80

china_promo_china_rehearsal.jpg

- Villeneuve:  I love it when actors come up with ideas and Ryan Gosling brought some very powerful ideas to the movie

- First question of the google tech to Villeneuve: Am I allowed to ask a question about Arrival?

On 9/30/2017 at 2:15 AM, BloodBoal said:

It's annoying, isn't it?

Not sure why they thought it was a good idea not to include the quote(s) within a post you quote, for whatever reason. It often creates confusing posts.

Totally agreed!  What a boneheaded design change.

“The thing I will say is that making movies is a laboratory. It’s an artistic process. You cannot plan things. Jóhann Jóhannsson is one of my favorite composers alive today. He’s a very strong artist. But the movie needed something different, and I needed to go back to something closer to Vangelis. Jóhann and I decided that I will need to go in another direction — that’s what I will say. I hope I have the chance to work with him again because I think he’s really a fantastic composer.”

- Dennis Villeneuve 

http://collider.com/blade-runner-2049-composer-replacement-explained-johann-johannsson/

Sounds like something else happened that went the same way most 'creative differences' go judging by that last sentence.

Ford was on Radio 2 today having to respond yet again to that incident. He joked to Steve Wight that he does it to his co-stars to remind them who he used to be. I have to say, he came across really well and pretty cool, on the radio. 

I expect it to be cold and lacking heart. But i wont have a real opinion. That would require me to see it. DV just doesn't make me want to see his films. And The mouseketeer is always a reason to stay away. 

I do expect it to beat the original borefest at the boxoffice.

I used to dislike Gosling too, before ever seeing him in anything. He has a resting smug face like the best of 'em do with that look. But I've since come around to the guy after seeing him show up in a couple of different things I've watched. He's fine now, I got over it. 

On 29/9/2017 at 8:11 PM, publicist said:

That he went with that Richter piece in the main and end titles was the worst offense. The rest was perfectly OK.

Ok, but not ground breaking. I wish they'd elaborated more on the communication process with the aliens. And I also kind of wish they'd made something else than its basic concept... l wasn't able to believe in the idea seeing the movie, I dunno. And I'm not one to dislike crazy fantasy ideas.

I also have a nitpick, which doesn't really matter, but I wish the aliens had eyes or some sort of structure to see things. I imagine those aliens are not really THE aliens but still.

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

Have you never liked Ryan Gosling in anything he's done?

Never. I don't adapt as well as Lee. He was so bad in last Christmas' LA musical or whatever it was called. He was insufferable. Now I just avoid him. Im sure Jared Leto will give as equally bad if not worse a performance so its not just him in the unecessary sequel. I saw the Arrival. Dull boring and visually un-impressive looking. I also forgot about it by next morning. There are many reasons I am not interested.

I hope all who want it to be good like it. I will enjoy reading the comments.

I hated that movie (La La Land it was called).  

I liked Gosling in The Nice Guys, The Big Short, and Crazy Stupid Love, though.  He's good at being funny

54 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I also have a nitpick, which doesn't really matter, but I wish the aliens had eyes or some sort of structure to see things. I imagine those aliens are not really THE aliens but still.

Why do they need vision? Racist! Disgusting terrestrial evolution privilege!

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I expect it to be cold and lacking heart.

Uh.... I wouldn't say Scott is a filmmaker that's warm and fuzzy, with loads of heart... 

The original is cold, not on a Kubrick level but still pretty cold.

He's more versatile than many of his roles would have you believe. He especially shines in comedic roles. His SNL hosting gigs show that.

7 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Uh.... I wouldn't say Scott is a filmmaker that's warm and fuzzy, with loads of heart... 

The original is cold ...

Why is it cold? I think it's quite the opposite so I don't know what you and Joey are talking about.

Must be a JWfan thing ....

I have a pretty strong emotional response when I watch Blade Runner; Vangelis definitely plays a huge role in that, but--and forgive me for the term--there's a very strong humanity buzzing through the underbelly of the movie.

Indeed, Nick. You know, Spielberg once thought 2001: ASO was a cold movie (to be honest, I don't know why Spielberg doesn't post at JWfan ;)) but later he looked at it from a different angle and discovered there's so much passion and love for the art of moviemaking in 2001: ASO that he no longer thinks of it as a cold movie.

Seeing the film in 40 minutes! WEEEE! This is the film I've been looking the most forward to this year, in addition to ALIEN: COVENANT and THE LAST JEDI. But it's too f___ng early in the morning for a 3-hour movie.

So this is another 3hr sesh then. Right, maybe I'll see it alone on my day off next week. The only worry in the meantime is Thor reports back that he believes it to be an amazing masterpiece of visual poetry and profound storytelling, because that will literally put me right off seeing it. 

Now that Thor is sitting in the theatre, I'm taking the opportunity to predict that he will say 2049 is better than the original and that it entered his top 10 list favorite movies of all time. 

Alex

OK, so came back from the movie a couple of hours ago. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, to be honest. There are things I like very much, and other things that didn't really trigger me. I think I need some time to digest it, and I need to see it more times. Don't expect this to be as consistent as the original BLADE RUNNER. We move to very different locales, with very different visual looks, so it doesn't have the all-engrossing, visceral experience of the original. Also, much of the subtext is more literal than in the original.

I'm not going to mention any spoilers here; I assume most of you are seeing this tomorrow or Friday? But there are definitely things to discuss -- both in terms of narrative, topic, visuals, music, sound design, qualities and things that are not so impressive.

I'll post my thoughts on the Zimmer score in the other thread.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

So this is another 3hr sesh then. Right, maybe I'll see it alone on my day off next week. The only worry in the meantime is Thor reports back that he believes it to be an amazing masterpiece of visual poetry and profound storytelling, because that will literally put me right off seeing it. 

There is no chance he won't say that!