Hlao-roo

Hopefully, for the backers sake, positive word of mouth in the social media era will help BR2 to gather at least some momentum at the other end of its theatrical run. I wouldn't expect this to bomb as badly as the original did. 

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't think it did very well.

A 130 Mio $ BO for a 1986 R-rated movie? Come on...

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Hopefully, for the backers sake, positive word of mouth in the social media era will help BR2 to gather at least some momentum at the other end of its theatrical run. I wouldn't expect this to bomb as badly as the original did. 

This movie will be big in Asia. Even with a paltry US take it is in no danger of really bombing á la Jupiter Ascending etc.

Just now, Stefancos said:

More importantly, does the pointless and irrelevant Blade Runner sequel proof Villeneuve is right for Dune?

If anything, it made me look forward to that. But the box office returns might cripple his chances to do it justice.

Karol

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I need to know what the Red Letter Media guys think of the film before I can decide if I should watch it or not!

Their opinion has been up for 6 hours!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Sucks to hear this is tanking in the US. Bummer.

Blade Runner has never been a crowd pleaser so this comes as no surprise.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

This is disappointing, in that it's just telling Hollywood that all people want are endless installments in mindless franchises.

And that's probably mostly true.  I guarantee you they're reconsidering those Dune plans right now.

The length and pacing of Blade Runner 2049 is partially what crippled it. Villeneuve could've trimmed 10-20 minutes from the film to give it more momentum without making the plot more confusing.

And the massive budget is another thing. Surely the company could've produced the film for $100M with the same cast (or with Gosling and Ford) and director, but made the story less lengthy. 

And lastly, it's a pure auteur film. Sometimes an auteur film made by a major studio clicks commercially (like Dunkirk), but for something as ambitious as BR2049, some of the younger audience is turned off by the length and pacing.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

If anything, it made me look forward to that. But the box office returns might cripple his chances to do it justice.

Karol

Yea, Dune without the limitation of sequelitis, could be quite promising under Villeneuve.

On 10/8/2017 at 6:01 AM, crumbs said:

Why? If the audience isnt there it isnt there. Locally no one I know has anything good to say. I was expecting to read good stuff here.

• 1 month later...

Or they will figure out that nostalgia only works for Star Wars, Indiana Jones and maybe The Terminator (we'll have to see about that one but if Cameron is involved then it will surely drive the herds to the cinemas).

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Or they will figure out that nostalgia only works for Star Wars, Indiana Jones and maybe The Terminator (we'll have to see about that one but if Cameron is involved then it will surely drive the herds to the cinemas).

Terminator?

Every attempt to revive that franchise has pretty much flopped. It's nostalgia value is even less than Alien. Which actually had some nostalgia value until its creator screwed it up.

3 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Quick question: What other films do you guys know with music equally or more obnoxious than this new Blade Runner one?

I'd really like to know which movies to avoid in the future. :eh:

This "obnoxious" sound is between music and sound effects and more or less a trait of Denis Villeneuve. But it's just nasty in cinemas, cause the people working there just know bass and treble, nothing between that.

10 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Terminator?

Every attempt to revive that franchise has pretty much flopped. It's nostalgia value is even less than Alien. 

That's why I said "maybe". We'll have to see if Miller and the return of Cameron can turn the tide in 2019. There's always a chance that it will happen because Cameron has a way of changing everything he touches into gold.

On 15-11-2017 at 9:18 PM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Quick question: What other films do you guys know with music equally or more obnoxious than this new Blade Runner one?

I'd really like to know which movies to avoid in the future. :eh:

That's easy: Dunkirk. Easily destroys the whole film.

3 hours ago, fommes said:

That's easy: Dunkirk. Easily destroys the whole film.

Thanks! I missed out when some friends went to watch it in the cinema.

That confirms there's absolutely no need for me to feel sorry about that. :D

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Why don't you find out for yourself? It's only a few hours of your life. 

Pretty much a 100% guarantee that I won't enjoy it, so I don't really want to...

I can understand not liking the music for BR2049

(even if I highly disagree with anyone saying it ruined the movie)

but for Dunkirk the movie wouldnt even be the same without the music, its half the point of it

tch

48 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

but for Dunkirk the movie wouldnt even be the same without the music.

You're right. It might have been better. At least with less of it.