Hlao-roo

On 7/30/2017 at 1:43 AM, Muad'Dib said:

It's a Tron Legacy situation it seems, where Hans and company helped out. There's even some Powell in there as well, apparently?

What do you mean by a Tron Legacy situation? I hope Hanz didn't contribute to Tron Legacy.

I can't believe it's fricking 2017 and there's still this Hansu situation where people can't even stand him.

As far as I recall both Hansy and Powell (along with others) did a "supervisor" job, probably because the studio got cold feet of a band that had never done a film score before.

But what "supervising" gig was all about, I don't have any clue.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

I can't believe it's fricking 2017 and there's still this Hansu situation where people can't even stand him.

This is simply par for the course for some JWFans.  What is truly troublesome though is that it is not limited to either JWFan or Zimmer.  I'm no Giacchino fan, for instance, and haven't hesitated to discuss why, but some people somehow, for some reason, make it personal.  Same with Elfman's JL.  I think there was a lot wrong with it, but some of the backlash against it was so revoltingly ad hominem.  It's unbelievably stupid.  These are real people, with real feelings, and real flaws too.  It is apparently easy for some to get caught up in the facelessness of the internet and forget those things.  Then they feel free to spew nastiness and gripe and whine like petulant children.  Whatever one thinks of a composer's music, personality, business practices... many fans could benefit from taking a deep breath and having some perspective and compassion, even when it may not seem deserved. 

On 12/12/2017 at 5:14 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

This is simply par for the course for some JWFans.  What is truly troublesome though is that it is not limited to either JWFan or Zimmer.  I'm no Giacchino fan, for instance, and haven't hesitated to discuss why, but some people somehow, for some reason, make it personal.

You seem to be the one taking it personal when you sense the faintest criticism of your favorite composers but... don't take that personal. :D

On 30.7.2017 at 7:58 AM, publicist said:

So Hans is doing a time-consuming world tour AND helps out with scoring BR? No mean feat. 

Shamed be he who thinks evil of it.

Ah, so that's why the BR2 score and the world tour were mediocre.

:D

7 hours ago, antovolk said:

For those wondering how Vangelis would sound with 2049 footage... 

Hmmm... I don't think a single person would have complained if they tracked in some of his music.  I would have welcomed it!

Finally watched this just last night, I thought it was excellent.  I didn't find it overly long, and I was engaged throughout. It has some fantastic performances and a mostly strong script with some interesting concepts which managed to add another level to the story. It was beautifully executed and I thought Zimmer nailed the score. He's not right for everything but he was perfect for this project.

The only reservation I had was that the end felt incomplete, and clearly designed to set up a sequel. But otherwise, I was very pleasantly surprised and think it was one of the best films I saw this year. I think in many ways its at least equal to the original (though clearly not as ground breaking), and I may actually prefer it.

It was nice to see something this anticipated and not be disappointed.

The score for this was average and at times even less than that. Very disappointing from Hans (not so much Benjamin because I don't think that much of him).

One wonders what the hell JJ was doing they replaced his ass (and on Mother! too, correct?). Tough year for him.

Edit: just found a new interview with Hans talking about Dunkirk and BR2049. 

He is like Morricone, refuses to work for the american cinema exclusively for money.

Edit: I also would not do the score with Zimmer. I did not accepted when I had the opportunity to sign the work alone, now I will accept to share the cake? No way!

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2017 at 3:21 PM, James said:

He is like Morricone, refuses to work for the american cinema exclusively for money.

I'm not sure I understand this sentence..

On another note:

OMG, this film is rated higher right now at imdb (by 0.1 point) than the original!

also, a  personal opinion:

If this score gets nominated at the Oscars, it will seem unfair for Vangelis' score that didn't,

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

It means Vangelis really has to be interested in a project or he's not going to do it.

Villeneuve and Zimmer have asked Vangelis if he would join them for 2049 but he allegedly had no time, which is a polite way to decline.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Nevermore, Richard! NEVERMORE!

Anyway, it might not be over yet:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/blade-runner/news/a846834/ridley-scott-has-plans-another-blade-runner-sequel/

Now just a damn minute: Scott wants to get into bed with The Mouse to make the third ALIEN prequel?!  :blink:

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It means Vangelis really has to be interested in a project or he's not going to do it.

Villeneuve and Zimmer have asked Vangelis if he would join them for 2049 but he allegedly had no time, which is a polite way to decline.

I see.

And he did well to decline!

12 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Both Morricone and Vangelis prioritize their careers in Europe even though they are aware that they are very popular and have the potential to make a lot more money working in the United States.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read others' opinions on this movie or score yet...

This was the best movie I've seen in a long long time, and in theater where you really need to see it with sound. I never got how people went to see Star Wars films but totally missed an original SciFi film with a score of 8.5/10 at the time. The soundtrack fit brilliantly, the raw noise of city and robotic apathy made my heart sing. Not quite an original OST, but it really did Hollywood justice this time: getting these chaotic feelings out there this time. I remember relistening to the music but also longing for the visuals to complete it: my second favorite part of the film was K dining in the streets with the lovely music and lovely Mariette approaching.

However my favorite scene was this part:

What did she say again "Had that kind of day, huh?" I almost fell off my seat from laughter at that perfectly-timed one-liner. Such a beautiful take.

p9PAD43.png

This film amazingly fit 3 genres... Art-film, psychological, and sci-fi.

Also, before anyone starts getting butthurt, this is all just my opinion! Obviously.

On 9/29/2017 at 10:44 AM, BloodBoal said:

People need to stop bringing up RT scores every time a big movie is released, especially even before said movie has been released.

Yeah, Rotten Tomatoes doesn't work at all. Two pieces of evidence: (a) its average tomatometer is incredibly high, and (b) its Top 1000 compared to IMDb's is incredible nonsense. The reason behind these phenomena are that:

RT has loads and loads of random movies by the year getting various reviews, but some of these movies by chance end up getting all ripes and so end up 95-100%, while masterpieces get into 85% range and make it into 4000th place (about an 85%.) This is all because critics on RTomatoes give out much too many ripes and a ripe doesn't tell you smack about the quality. Mathematics alone will tell you that ~10% of average films escape as outliers into 95-100% territory, by randomness, and that's a lot of films, while brilliant films get 80-90% which is nothing on a list with 100%s. So the ambiguous relativism of ratings on RT make them meaningless. AND people buy into RT because it rates their favorite movies so much higher than the competing site, so "of course it must be better." People never observe the actual facts. Though IMDb is imperfect, it's a 9-million-times-better website for referencing a film's rating. And the facts are fully in its favor, and despite its imperfection, its algorithm does its best at weighing away 0/10 and other outlier ratings.

However still, the best system of ratings isn't IMDb or Metacritic, but it's a personal critic or individual rater you find online, whom you enjoy. That is what I go by. I tend to utilize IMDb's lists that users create, that have films I already like in them so that I can find new films.

Just don't reference Rotten Tomatoes, please. Rotten Tomatoes is as meaningless as the pop music industry. Metacritic or IMDb is perfectly acceptable.

44 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

As opposed to seeing it in a theatre without sound?

Seeing 2049 at home is a lot like staring at your avatar. It misses the full effect...... ok, maybe not for your avatar :D

I just don't think newcomer reviewers had good sound systems or the best screens: the film was definitely meant for the big screen. The average rating dropped .2 points after its Blu-ray release.

Rotten Tomatoes isn't that rotten. People get caught up over whether something's fresh or rotten and don't care to read the reviews, those long things with multiple paragraphs...

On 27/01/2018 at 3:45 AM, Borodin said:

Also, before anyone starts getting butthurt, this is all just my opinion! Obviously.

Why would anyone get "butthurt", or even care, whether you liked the movie (or not)? 

Lots of people here liked it. Some didn’t like it. And among those who didn’t like it a few actually saw it.