Hlao-roo

17 hours ago, Arpy said:

Rotten Tomatoes isn't that rotten. People get caught up over whether something's fresh or rotten and don't care to read the reviews, those long things with multiple paragraphs...

Many people don't prefer to read reviews, unless after they enjoyed a movie they will read what other people thought. You don't want to spoil anything about a movie! That's why I don't read reviews, I go by user recommendations who have similar tastes.

My personal ranking of movie-picking techniques goes:

user lists (IMDb lists that have common tastes) >>> favorite critics > IMDb Top 1000 voters > IMDb public > Metacritic >>>>> RT

Like I said, I think the RT rating system is fully flawed, its Top 1000 is all wrong: Thousands of very plain movies get into 90-95% range, while masterpieces average at 85%. I have a software instead that creates 1-10 ratings for movies based on an algorithm and hundreds of IMDb user lists. It works the absolute best!

16 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Why would anyone get "butthurt", or even care, whether you liked the movie (or not)? 

I've asked the same question many times.

I don't often follow the user reviews unless it's for a product I'm buying (Hardware items and such). I follow the critics because they offer a more scholarly opinion and they know (more often than not) what to look for in a film and are more understanding of the filmmaking methodology to not write a film off 'because it was boring' or 'Ryan Gosling had no expression'. 

By the same token I don't take the critics' word as gospel either; I think it's worth reading the critics' reviews, because, such was the case with The Last Jedi, it wasn't that the critics were kissing ass or paid for by Disney, they were as varied and unbiased as one could hope for within reason. It also seems no one read the critics, they followed the RT score assuming the criticism was rainbows and joy, when it just happens the critics score was a median for reviews which were more favorable.

There has always been a divide between critics and audiences and it's not entirely surprising why.

3 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

I didn't read any of the professional reviews for TLJ. Did they reflect the divided fan reaction to the film or were they more forgiving?

Definitely more forgiving, they weren't a sniveling, ravenous pack of dogs who tear anything 'Star Wars' apart as if it were their chew-toy. Probably because they didn't have ridiculous fan theories etc. It wasn't all glowing praise from the critics though.

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

I don't often follow the user reviews unless it's for a product I'm buying (Hardware items and such).

Sure well. For me, similar user recommendations ≠ user ratings. When you really think about it, all you need is a number catered to you out of 10 that says: really watch this now, watch later, wait, avoid, etc. Typically, critic reviews are still overly-subjective and based on spoiler information you need to analyze, and there aren't enough critics people agree with. I've searched through thousands of critics and have been thoroughly let down.

On the other hand, I still have a list of 800 films I need to watch generated by my user list algorithm, that have been brilliant and unexpected. That is because there are millions of users online whom you can hand-select from, and only a boat-load of critics, and people don't agree with many critics. When they're thorough and honest, they only find a few critics they sometimes agree with. I watched a lot of unheard-of films scored low by critics, that came from my algorithm, and they have been very pleasing! much more than any critic has been.

Similar user recommendations are all you really need to find new and unexpected films that you love. If you think about it logically, it makes sense: AI data computation of recommendations > critic's intuition of recommendation. A well-designed computer does a better job at this task. It's all math, and you never need to read a single review or spoiler.

Hopefully they'll design a public algorithm the more mainstream can use, though I'm sure whoever does it will make it incorrectly, as mine takes into consideration popularity bias and does the job brilliantly. If you want, I can demonstrate my program sometime, but it's simply like averaging hundreds of "fav lists" similar to your own, then ridding popularity bias, then extracting the new titles from it. It's how you find those unheard-of films you love.

I personally despise Rotten Tomatoes for all the crap it's put out and supported. It still does the worst job out of any website at recommending movies, because they won't change their rating system (mostly for bu$iness reasons, not practicality.) It's like a rabbit hole of bad government design that can't be reformed. I hope the site dies away eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

Rutger Hauer in The Hollywood Reporter:

Have you seen Blade Runner 2049?

I sniff and scratch at it. It looks great but I struggle to see why that film was necessary. I just think if something is so beautiful, you should just leave it alone and make another film. Don't lean with one elbow on the success that was earned over 30 years in the underground. In many ways, Blade Runner wasn't about the replicants, it was about what does it mean to be human? It's like E.T. But I'm not certain what the question was in the second Blade Runner. It's not a character-driven movie and there's no humor, there's no love, there's no soul. You can see the homage to the original. But that's not enough to me. I knew that wasn't going to work. But I think it's not important what I think.

More or less what I think of it (after only one viewing, that is)

• 2 weeks later...

It looks great but I struggle to see why that film was necessary. I just think if something is so beautiful, you should just leave it alone and make another film. Don't lean with one elbow on the success that was earned over 30 years in the underground.

Words of wisdom from the star of The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power, Turbulence 3: Heavy Metal and three straight to video Dracula movies.

On 2.3.2018 at 6:43 PM, Nick1066 said:

Words of wisdom from the star of The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power, Turbulence 3: Heavy Metal and three straight to video Dracula movies.

He doesn't want the only great film he was in to be overshadowed by a Denis Villeneuve film.

Do you really think so? Because I know a lot of people don't see the point of a sequel to Blade Runner. They don't care if they do a Scorpion King 4, Turbulence 3,  but there are a few movies you don't mess around with. I think it has nothing to do with fear that a sequel might be better, quite the contrary.

On 20/02/2018 at 8:34 AM, Alexcremers said:

Rutger Hauer in The Hollywood Reporter:

More or less what I think of it (after only one viewing, that is)

And for once we agree! It's a nicely made film, possibly a cut above most stuff these days. But a pointless one as well.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

...It's a nicely made film, possibly a cut above most stuff these days. But a pointless one as well.

Karol

And that sums up the movie for me in a nutshell

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

Never seen it, but I've only heard good things about at this point.

Don't get me wrong, there's literally nothing wrong with it. In fact it is technically pretty much flawless and highly cinematic. But the entire idea of making it feels redundant.

Karol

The original often loses focus. Sometimes it pays its attention too long on establishing the sorroundings instead of drawing the characters and proceeding with the plot. Therefore it's less consequent than the new film which also brings its message better across.