Hlao-roo

David Peoples, famous for his work for Blade Runner, Twelve monkeys and Unforgiven, sorta retired after Soldier (1998) but it seems he's attached to this upcoming movie:

http://www.darkhoriz...-lone-wolf- cub

If he's out of retirement, that means Ridley could hire him for his own future sci-fi projects.

Yes he wrote at lest a pair of drafts of The Forever War. (RIP)

That would have been awesome... imagine a science-fiction with the flair a war film epic, sort of The Thin Red Line and Vietnam, in space, with relativistic travel, with a physiscist and a biologist in love forced to be soldiers, following the evolution of mankind forward, covering a thousand years of stupid conflict. It's a great story and I was so excited for it.

But we get Blade Runner 2? And The Counselor? Whaaat?

At least Prometheus is looking good.

• 1 month later...

Strange, old interviews with Scott say he's already doing it. I have no problem with Fancher writing but they need to get Peoples on board too.

Forget old Deckard, it's a young chick.

Scott: "Funny enough, I started my first meetings on the Blade Runner sequel last week. We have a very good take on it. And we’ll definitely be featuring a female protagonist."

Call me a sexist but to me the hardboiled detective was generally a cynical loner ... and a man. Perhaps he's thinking of Rooney Mara in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?

Alex

Call me a sexist but to me the hardboiled detective was generally a cynical loner ... and a man. Perhaps he's thinking of Rooney Mara in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?

Alex

Well the film doesn't necesarily have to feature a detective as the main character.

No, but assuming that Replicants are still wanted criminals in the timeline of the sequel, the film would probably still need the duality of a detective and whoever he's hunting down as its plot. Ford's Deckard was the main character in the original, but if Rutger Hauer had had more screen time (and was a bigger star at the time), he could have been the main character instead.

Kinda like The Fugitive with androids. The detective wasn't the main character in that movie, but #2.

I know the mag, it's a decent read - for all things sci-fi. But the horror element of their poll is clearly a nonsense. Very weird. I can understand they're probably wanting to broaden their scope, but still, that's a daft poll.

It's the first list where I see Blade Runner at number 1 while 2001: A Space Odyssey is nowhere to be seen. Very odd.

Any list that features Serenity but not 2001: A Space Odyssey is a bogus list. But hey, I thought I post it anyway!

Also, the editor of that magazine says Blade Runner was Harrison Ford's first major role. Raiders Of The Lost Ark was not major?!

Whaaaat? 2001 isn't even on it?! It's a bullshit poll, no question. I for one found it to have far more horror overtones than Bladerunner; if creepy uneasiness can be attributed to that genre, which it can.

But that's just it: the genres aren't interchangeable, especially if you want objectively choose which is 'best', otherwise Alien would walk it.

Also, the editor of that magazine says Blade Runner was Harrison Ford's first major role. Raiders Of The Lost Ark was not major?!

Oh. Dear. Forget what I said about it being a decent read. It's been a while.

That'd ruin the ambiguity of the original. Bad idea.

I admire Scott's energy though, at his age. I hope he continues making films for a long time yet.

I admire Scott's energy though, at his age. I hope he continues making films for a long time yet.

Him and Scorsese, and Eastwood.

True. But what I meant is im picking up on a sort of renewed vigour from Scott lately.

Scott also recently said he didn't have that much fun with making a movie (Prometheus) since a long time. I hope some of that enthusiasm can be seen in the film(s).

Alex

Hampton Fancher is writing it. They could create a same kind of ambiguity with an older Harrison Ford (now THAT would be amusing!). Maybe replicants age in the same way that humans do.

He's used Jerry twice, same as that greek guy, Zimmer many times, and how this Zimmer clone.

Proving my point.

Or maybe Ford was never a Replicant.

But then what would happen to Scott's famous words: "Deckard is a replicant, if you don't see it you're a moron"?

He's one of those directors who doesn't stick to one composer, does he?

He could ask Vangelis but he's sorta retired. Vangelis also sorta sucked in his last period of music-making so I think it's probably a bad idea.

I hate Zimmer, so no! I can't think of anyone who can replace the Vangelis of 1982. I mean, even Vangelis is out of the question so they need a new angle. Something fresh. Not more of the same.

You can't get fresher than Zimmer.

I don't want that omnipresent sound of today's cinema. I've heard it too many times now.

He could ask Vangelis but he's sorta retired.

He's doing the upcoming Jeremy Irons documentary, Trashed; and wrote a disc's worth of new material inspired by Blade Runner for the 25th Anniversary album. I'd say he'd happily return.