Hlao-roo

Woops, should have read all the posts before posting that.

Yea, time for me to create a spoilers-allowed thread for everyone to discuss it openly!

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

OK, so came back from the movie a couple of hours ago. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, to be honest. There are things I like very much, and other things that didn't really trigger me. I think I need some time to digest it, and I need to see it more times. Don't expect this to be as consistent as the original BLADE RUNNER. We move to very different locales, with very different visual looks, so it doesn't have the all-engrossing, visceral experience of the original. Also, much of the subtext is more literal than in the original.

I'm not going to mention any spoilers here; I assume most of you are seeing this tomorrow or Friday? But there are definitely things to discuss -- both in terms of narrative, topic, visuals, music, sound design, qualities and things that are not so impressive.

I'll post my thoughts on the Zimmer score in the other thread.

Personally I think this is 2010 all over again, trying to do what 2001 did but had to answer too many unanswered questions, almost spoon feeding us

Why make sequels anymore if we ruin the original intent with, let e explain further. Alien Covenant is a perfect example of what I think ruins the original intent of Alien, as did Prometheus

Less is more sometimes. I might go view the film today, the fact I said "might" shows my lack of enthusiasm

At last he can finally catch up on his sleep. 

15 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Now that Thor didn't love it, all bets are off!

No, I'm inspirited by his reaction. 

Films like this don't tend to have real potential unless they truly divide opinions. 

16 hours ago, Thor said:

Also, much of the subtext is more literal than in the original.

Villeneuve probably didn't want to take any chances and wait 10 years before people say it's a misunderstood masterpiece.

17 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

Personally I think this is 2010 all over again, trying to do what 2001 did but had to answer too many unanswered questions, almost spoon feeding us

Have you seen the movie?

What am I asking, of course you have. Why else would you come on here saying such things.

On 3/10/2017 at 9:49 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Why do they need vision? Racist! Disgusting terrestrial evolution privilege!

Independent evolution of eyes seems to be common if there's avalaible light.

Well I mean eyes or EYES or ""eyes"", I'd hardly call a layer of cells that detect where light comes from and that's it and eye.

Which is odd because he hated promoting the first one.

I want the glass!

I can see another Ford-Gosling collaboration in the near future!

He turned around on it though!  After the Director's Cut he gave it 4 stars and added it to his Great Movies pantheon!

Also, the "Ebert reviewing films even though he's dead" jokes about RogerEbert.com were old 3 years ago.

Yea. But I think it's reasonable to get excited if your favourite reviewer, whose recommendations you trust, raves about a certain film.

Precisely!  Which is why I said I wish that Zoller Seitz (EIC of the Ebert site) had reviewed it because I've been reading him since I was a teenager so I'm familiar with his taste and POV.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Read something before throwing around your judgement. that's all I'm saying.

? My remark was a response to Alex's and DiscoStu's comments. I didn't go on a tour of Google to verify what I read after that, so what? Are you massive Ebert fan or something? 

51 minutes ago, KK said:

Yea. But I think it's reasonable to get excited if your favourite reviewer, whose recommendations you trust, raves about a certain film.

Sure, but it's something I can't quite relate to, since I don't have what one calls "a favourite reviewer". I have reviewers I like reading, but none that I agree with on most films, so there are none with which a review could make me more or less excited about a film (plus, I generally read reviews AFTER I've watched the film, so there is that). At best, it could make me curious about a film I had no interest in watching.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Sure, but it's something I can't quite relate to, since I don't have what one calls "a favourite reviewer". I have reviewers I like reading, but none that I agree with on most films, so there are none with which a review could make me more or less excited about a film (plus, I generally read reviews AFTER I've watched the film, so there is that). At best, it could make me curious about a film I had no interest in watching.

I'm the same. I don't have a favourite reviewer, and certainly not someone I would choose to see, or not see, a film based on their opinion.

However, I am pretty adept at reading a range of reviews and in the aggregate getting a pretty good idea of whether I'm going to like a film or not.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

This is the case for me as well. But I can understand others' heightened enthusiasm for positive reviews from certain critics. 

So. It was a really good Blade Runner movie with some reservations that mainly concern the third act. But the world Scott created in 1982 is intact and elaborated upon and , most importantly, the pace is a big fuck you to the ADHS generation - it is slooooow! But that's how you want your BR movies.

I could've done without the baddie chick and some other stuff i can't spoiler right now but on the whole, it certainly was a 2017 highlight for me. Score was mostly irrelevant sound design without much purpose. But with Villeneuve, it at least doesn't come as a surprise.

I didn't 'dislike' the Wallfisch/Zimmer, either, but generally this director belongs to the music stay the fuck out of my picture-filmmakers ('Arrival' was much more inventive and relevant to the story, though).

15 hours ago, publicist said:

So. It was a really good Blade Runner movie with some reservations that mainly concern the third act. But the world Scott created in 1982 is intact and elaborated upon and , most importantly, the pace is a big fuck you to the ADHS generation - it is slooooow! But that's how you want your BR movies.

I could've done without the baddie chick and some other stuff i can't spoiler right now but on the whole, it certainly was a 2017 highlight for me.

EDIT: Woops! Wrong thread.

Solid film, good sequel, but disappointing. Might be Villeneuve's weakest film.

Still, in the era of Marvel/Disney conglomeration, it's good to see films like this finding mainstream success.