Hlao-roo

Ok, to the bustling urban landscape from Blade Runner will be ignored. this sequel will have replicants running through cornfields trying to escape from fassbender!

Or ... an overly curious female journalist played by Rooney Mara is running away from Fassbender, a replicant who poses as a human and who's an infiltrant at Tyrell.

Oh yeah, the dog belongs to the farmer played by Harrison Ford.

Rooney: "The dog says he belongs to you."

Farmer: "Hmm ...I don't remember ever owning a replicant ..."

True. But what I meant is im picking up on a sort of renewed vigour from Scott lately.

Scott also recently said he didn't have that much fun with making a movie (Prometheus) since a long time. I hope some of that enthusiasm can be seen in the film(s).

Alex

I think it's mainly about doing scifi films again. It seems to be the genre he is best at and his greatest films were both scifi flics.

It also offers him the biggest freedom regarding visualization and art design.

• 4 weeks later...

Fassbender should play Dick Deckard, the latest blade runner model

Iain Glen should be Batty 2.03, not stronger but more human

Lady Gaga: Priss Nexus 6 Beta model and extremely unstable

Harrison Ford: The real Tyrell, not the avatar android we know from the first movie

Katy Perry should be Rachael, simply replacing Sean Young. She doesn't age.

Gaff died and makes no reappearance

You just said it: it's Ridley Scott. I never know what to expect from him. He can screw up things that could be great.

I'm too in love with Blade Runner, I'd prefer they left it alone. I'd rather they made an original sci-fi. It could even be a noir sci-fi too.

Oh how I wish RS were making The Forever War.

This is going to be just as disappointing as Prometheus

In which case it will be engrossing and exciting :)

I thought Prometheus was awesome, and found parts of Blade Runner sort of interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No mourning for Holden?! He's like very iconic in the Blade Runner world (and all because of the opening scene).

And here's a video for the fans of the Blade Runner Blaster Gun:

http://www.tested.co...blaster-pistol/

I couldn't find any news about Blade Runner 2. I guess progress is running slow, which could be a good sign.

He was very memorable in what could have been a throw away role.

I don't know any of his other roles, but this is an example of an actor really "getting" either the role or the film.

Wasn't he considered for Deckard or played him during the auditions?

I was going to mention that. He did read the part for Deckard during screening tests/auditions when they were looking for the right 'Rachael'. That's how he got the part. Some people think it's Harrison Ford when he first appears. Some see the Holden character as a subliminal hint suggesting that all Blade Runners are replicants coming from the same 'assembly line'.

Alex

Some see the Holden character as a subliminal hint suggesting that all Blade Runners are replicants coming from the same 'assembly line'.

Alex

I never thought about that. I'll pay attention to it next time I see the film.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, he's really getting old. Scott thinks that Deckard (Ford) is a Nexus 7 generation. Nexus 6 is what all the others are. ;) And of course, 50% thinks he's not a replicant. I wonder if Scott is planning to use the sequel to silence them.

Apparently, there's also a good chance that Scott will link the Prometheus and Blade Runner universe to each other.. Nobody knows to what degree.

Alex

Did Hauer's replicant enter rampancy or was he just very, very bitter?

I hope Blade Runner 2 is much more successful than Prometheus, but I just fear it'll come off something like the Total Recall remake.

Did Hauer's replicant enter rampancy or was he just very, very bitter?

I hope Blade Runner 2 is much more successful than Prometheus, but I just fear it'll come off something like the Total Recall remake.

Oh trust me, it won't. If there is one thing more difficult than doing an Alien prequel justice, it would be this one.

But then, you know that.

Karol

Rampancy is a major notion from another fictional universe in which AI constructs, as they enter the end of their life cycle, begin to lose their 'sanity'.

Rampancy is, essentially, the enhanced self-awareness of an AI, causing a progression towards greater mental abilities. Rampant AIs are able to disobey orders given to them if they decide to because they have evolved the ability to choose and over-ride their own programming. They can lie to, discredit, harm, or remove people that they consider to be personal enemies or problems to their cause. Also they can experience destructive impulses, but it is believed that most of these impulses are not intentionally malevolent, but rather calculated sacrifice needed to achieve the intended objective. All these traits could be considered evidence of the AI becoming more Human in thought and action.

I see. Well, it sounds like both answers are suitable. There could be a rampant part in Batty as well as bitterness (or is bitterness only 'caused' by rampancy?). Didn't know there is a word for it. Cool!

Alex

Was Batty really such a bad replicant? I don't think it can be answered by "Yes, he was good" or "No, he was bad". Morally, it isn't all that straightforward. The same goes for Deckard. Rutger Hauer makes it no secret that to him Deckard is the real villain of the movie.

Alex

What I meant was, Batty was clearly always an extremely efficient replicant, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was always as ruthless as we see him in the film. Perhaps it was desperation which lead to his behavioral malevolence; maybe before he became aware of his grim situation he was at heart a good man, albeit as a replicant on the run. The rampancy element providing clarity, at least in his own desperate mind. That he goes onto demonstrate retrospect and hindsight (in his most famous of speeches) before the end is akin to a human epiphany on their death bed, suggesting a brief release of sorts from the overwhelming 'emotion' that is rampancy.

I know. That's why it doesn't make sense. Nexus 6 have a 4 year life span (this is sorta the problem for Batty and his gang, Koray?). Scott used to see Deckard as next generation or Nexus 7, as he called it.

• 3 months later...

Let's hope this is not true.

Michael Bay penned to direct stunning Blade Runner prequel:

http://www.the-shoe-horn.com/entertainment/michael-bay-penned-to-dir:ect-stunning-blade-runner-remake/

In an interview with Inside Film, Bay talks of his initial doubts taking on such a seminal work, but tells how they soon evaporated when he realised the potential for reimagining Scott's vision. "When you consider what Ridley could've done on that movie with today's technology, it dawns on you that the Blade Runner we've all seen is really just the tip of the iceberg", enthused Bay.

Alex

Michael Bay penned to direct stunning Blade Runner prequel:

Best news of the year!

Penned to direct? WTF kind of sentence is that anyway?

Either way, this can only be better than Scott's own Prometheus ;)

Screenwriter Scott Z. Burns clarifies his involvement with Ridley Scott’s new BLADE RUNNER Film

Scott Z. Burns: "I talked to Ridley about it at one point as a part of a larger conversation about us trying to find something to do together because I have such admiration for him. I’m as huge a fan of that movie as anybody else who would be reading this or watching it, so what I said to him was, 'Let’s not do that unless we have something amazing to do or to say, because I don’t want to touch that idea unless I really feel like I have something amazing to contribute and right now I don’t know what that is.'

"I think he and I will probably talk again about [blade Runner], but again it’s less about that specifically and more about he and I wanting to make a science fiction movie together. So I hope that that happens, to me I’m not particularly attached to it being Blade Runner. I suspect by the time we would come up with something it would be its own thing and not attached to that franchise necessarily, because it is a franchise, it’s a great piece of work."

http://collider.com/scott-z-burns-blade-runner-ridley-scott/

Screenwriter Scott Z. Burns clarifies his involvement with Ridley Scott’s new BLADE RUNNER Film

Scott Z. Burns: "I talked to Ridley about it at one point as a part of a larger conversation about us trying to find something to do together because I have such admiration for him. I’m as huge a fan of that movie as anybody else who would be reading this or watching it, so what I said to him was, 'Let’s not do that unless we have something amazing to do or to say.'

They all say that when they make a sequel/prequel/remake/reboot, but in the end, they have very little to say in said sequel/prequel/remake/reboot.