Hlao-roo

There are more 80s retreads than just Star Wars and Blade Runner coming! Mad Max, Terminator, Friday the 13th, Alien, Beverly Hills Cop....

This can't be good...can it?

I mean this is going to be a terrible film, right?

Sounds like Ford should reprise his character once again, that's all. No word about being Deckard the main protagonist. Maybe they just plan a cameo?

Maybe they just plan a cameo?

I really think it will be more than that. You don't shout from the rooftops that you want Ford to star in your movie only to insult him by giving him a cameo. I'm not saying he will play the main part but it will be one of the major characters (sorta like the new Star Wars movie).

What are the chances of BR2 being a great movie? Zero. I mean, we all have seen Prometheus, haven't we? Scott is no longer the director he was when he still made masterpieces (The Duellists, Alien & Blade Runner).

And with comments and an attitude like, "Blade Runner 2 is just one of the 16 projects I have waiting in the pipeline", I fear the worst. He's addicted to 'work', not to making great movies. The Scott Free enterprise is a factory that constantly needs to churn out new products in order to maintain itself.

He's also going to direct Matt Damon in The Martian, a Robinson Crusoe on Mars kind of survival story.

Alex

• 3 months later...

Blade Runner 2 script is finished.

"It's written and it's damn good. Of course it involves Harrison, who is a survivor after all these years - despite the accident (the 'Star Wars' injury). So yes, that will happen."

Scott says he could direct the "Blade Runner" sequel after "The Martian," though that doesn't leave time for "Prometheus 2" currently slated for March 4th 2016. Scott admits:

"That’s the problem, I've got a lot of ducks in a row. But they're all written."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/33590/-blade-runner-2-script-finished-say-scott

Ridley's passion is to have a full agenda and to keep on working every day. Whether it's Blade Runner 2 or another wine movie in the south of France, it doesn't matter.

Rachael 2.0?

BE-17GB-Katy_zpsd79e1aa1.jpg

Actually, it's Katy from Boardwalk Empire (HBO) ...

Alex

If, as Deckard says, Rachel is "special", then it is possible for Sean Young to return to the role...unless she has died in one of the novels...

You are talking about the producer's version, Richard, not the director's cut. Anyway, Scott likes his curly brunettes to be younger.

I haven't seen Boardwalk Empire, but I recognise that brunette. What else is she in?

Nothing that I've watched. Apparently, she appears in a TV series called Turn.

Michael Deeley didn't cut Blade Runner, Richard, but the new producers who took over the production when it got into financial trouble did. Of course, they didn't edit the film literally but Ridley Scott didn't have final say (remember the famous voiceover, the last added scene, the deleting of a certain scene/clue in the middle of the film). He even got fired 'twice'! The DC is much closer to how Scott wanted to release the film originally (even though Scott didn't supervise that cut - hence the Final Cut).

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Alex, but I did add "I see your point", meaning that I know the post-production history of "BR", but it's always good to be reminded of how a perfectly good film can get f**ked-up at the final stages by idiots that don't understand a single thing about film-malikg! "Future Noir" is such a good book.

Xeonphobia sucks, eh?

Well, despite the meddling, I don think the deleting of Deckard's reverie is an unintentional stroke of genius. I had to watch the theatrical cut (as you know, Richard, there was no other cut in the '80s) at least 5 times before I discovered the film insinuated that Deckard might be a replicant himself. The reverie that was reinserted in the DC actually makes it too obvious, even though many would disagree with that. In the TC, it was more of a innuendo and a nice bonus for those who really, really payed attention. It wasn't such a big deal as it was in later cuts.

Yes, Paul Sammon's Future Noir: The Making Of Blade Runner is an essential read for every Blade Runner fan.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Also, today I was thinking, "Hey, why not cast the son of Harrison Ford as Deckard Jr?" But then I found out how he looks like and maybe it isn't such a great idea after all:

article-0-1AF0774100000578-641_634x642_z

What do you think?

I don't feel Matthew is right for the part. He's more suited for playing the new replicant leader. Jake (now that is is older) is perfect for playing the boring bureaucrat and that the viewer doesn't even have to sympathize with.

Have people here seen Prisoners or Enemy?

Jake Gyllenhall is a promising rising actor.

I more or less agree, but the guy ain't right for Deckard!

Well, I'm the biggest Blade Runner fan in the world and Gyllenhaal (now that he is older) is on top of my list. He has the look, he can play the loner, he isn't necessarily sympathetic, he can play the everyman but also a believable detective, and when it turns out that he's a replicant then I'll buy that too! Note that I wouldn't vote for him if I hadn't seen Prisoners and Enemy.You being a non-Blade Runner fan, what is your argument against him?

jake-gyllenhaal-source-code-600x334_zpse

=

Deckard_zps48f43275.jpg

Gylenhaal is a rising actor? Lol he's been in the business for like 20 years.

Well I was referring to the shift in his career, as in his credibility/notoriety in critics' circles has been rising only recently, much like McConaughey.

I associate that picture with Alvar so much that I now imagine that's what he looks like.

Close. Alvar is Fassbender's agent. He joined JWFan to look for upcoming gigs. Hence the ceaseless campaigning.

Gylenhaal is a rising actor? Lol he's been in the business for like 20 years.

Well I was referring to the shift in his career, as in his credibility/notoriety in critics' circles has been rising only recently, much like McConaughey.

His career definitely "took off" with Brokeback Mountain. But even that was almost 10 years ago.

• 1 month later...