Hlao-roo

Yes, BR2 will be a CGI fest. It might look nice but my brain will register it as being 'animation' and not real.

There is something about serendipity and the happy accident that you don't get on a computer. The computer is very precise. Every result must be thought out and programmed. It is often the unexpected happenstance that makes the shot real, and organic, and truly satisfying. - Richard Edlund

Alex

So, BR 2 will look like animation, and not real. Compared to what, Alex, some very dodgy matte-paintings from the first film? The SFXs on "BR" are generally of a very high standard, but some are not exactly E.E.G.'s finest hour.

None of it's real, anyway...and it's all real.

It's too bad it won't look real, but, then again, what does?

The last pic is just an art poster made by some artist that you can buy, Richard. It has nothing to do with BR2. We're just speculating that BR2 will be all CGI and that it will make a big difference in how the viewer is going to experience the film.

As Deckard, once said: "Oh, I agree!" Minatures always look more "real" to me, anyway.

So this poster is not by Syd Mead, or whoever?

Do we know if Trumbull, et al will be involved, or will it handed-out to some functional, but ultimately 3rd-rate company, like Rythmn And Hues, or The Mill?

I truly wish Scott would call upon the help of Hollywood outsiders (like he did in them early days) but I reckon the film will be made by the same team who made Prometheus. Douglas Trumbull for the FX? I don't think so, although the first draft of BR2 is written by original screenplay writer Hampton Fancher. BTW, the script is completely finished and it's rewritten by Michael Green but sadly not by David W. Peoples (Blade Runner, Unforgiven). Scott is still undecided whether he'll make Prometheus 2 or BR2 after The Martian. Word in the street is that he prefers to do Blade Runner 2 and leave Prometheus 2 to someone else.

Alex

The audience has been made 'less sophisticated' by the Hollywood blockbuster mania. The modern viewer needs the explicit exposition, the explosions and the fast pace. They don't know any better. It's what Hollywood said they should watch from a very early age. Blame the teacher, not the teacher's student. For the sake of the blockbuster, Hollywood has successfully eliminated the difference between audiences and age groups. Hence, the birth of HBO and the golden age of TV (for those who were left in the cold because they didn't go along with Hollywood's reformation).

It's all 'one' audience. Dad and kids are watching the same movies and listen to the same music, which is dictated by radio. 'Diversity' is gone because it is bad business. It cuts the cake into too many pieces. Ironically, 'choice' is gone too, unless, of course, you take matters into your own hands, but who does that? Most teens just follow the shepherd and do what everybody else does. 'Education' (to make people watch certain movies they otherwise wouldn't) is gone too because it's not good for business. Education can also lead to sheep becoming rebellious. When I was young you had to watch whatever was on TV so I've been brought up with movies from every decade, all genres, different nationalities. I watched a lot of social movies from the late '60s and the '70s, movies that were made for grownups. Today, TV stations are afraid to show a movie that is more than 10 years old. It's in this very commercial climate that kids get their cultural education from. In the seventies, a movie like The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford would've been 'talked about' movie, something you had to go and see. Today nobody cares. You need to be a PTA or a Lars Von Trier if you want to make a 'different movie'. Like I said last week, even former blockbuster guru Spielberg has problems to get certain projects off the ground.

Alex

It's the opposite i think. Studios (read: not a Jack Warner but a venture capital enterprise without any knowledge how to make movies) are hanging by a bare thread of overexpensive movies that can destroy them in a whim if they fail. The best hope they have is rising filmmakers they can cast off youtube-channels and the like. Talent they need to nurture to make the next Blair Witch Project.

its all just going back to the golden age when the studio reigned supreme. The New Wave-inspired filmmakers are dying out and the Hollywood system is starting to take control again.

Hollywood was always been in control but more than ever it's run by people who only wanna bet on a sure thing. It's completely been taken over by business suits, marketing managers, accountants, lawyers, people with no affinity for the art or their artists ... The creative lunatics, who used to occupy one or two chairs during a board of directors meeting and would occasionally give an odd project a green light, have been removed from the premises a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm jealous of those who live in England. It's really something else to see it on a big screen.

The BFI announced that the final cut of Blade Runner will be added to their October – December “Sci-Fi: Days of Fear and Wonder” series, screening first at the BFI IMAX on December 12th before playing at a number of cinemas on December 14th. Blade Runner will then be re-released wide in England beginning April 3rd, 2015

http://dailydead.com/blade-runner-uk-theatrical-re-release-announced/

Hopefully Alcon Entertainment (Warner Bros) will be in charge and decides who will be the director and not Ridley. That Dredd dude ain't bad but I would prefer Snyder above everyone else (even though he doesn't do humanism very well). In a way, Watchmen was already kinda a BR2 for me.

Alex

It's impossible that Snyder could direct this. WB has him locked up for the next 5 years making Batman V Superman (2016), Justice Leauge 1 (2017) and Justice League 2 (2019). Sorry.

It's impossible that Snyder could direct this. WB has him locked up for the next 5 years making Batman V Superman (2016), Justice Leauge 1 (2017) and Justice League 2 (2019). Sorry.

Yes, I know, but I really can't think of another director.