The J.R.R Tolkien Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...

https://www.amazon.com/A-Middle-earth-Traveller/dp/0008226776

A Middle-earth Traveler is an illustrated guide to J.R.R. Tolkien's most famous creation, with lavish art showing the many locations and characters the author described in his classic novels, along with notes on their importance to the world.

A Middle-earth Traveler presents a walking tour of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth, visiting not only places central to his stories, but also those just over the hill or beyond the horizon. Events from Tolkien’s books are explored—battles of the different ages that are almost legend by the time of The Lord of the Rings; lost kingdoms and ancient myths, as well as those places only hinted at: kingdoms of the far North and lands beyond the seas.

Sketches that have an ‘on-the-spot’ feel to them are interwoven with the artist’s observations gleaned from Tolkien’s books and recollections of his time spent in Middle-earth while working alongside Peter Jackson on the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit film trilogies. Combining concept work produced for films, existing Middle-earth art, and many new paintings and sketches exclusive to this book, A Middle-earth Traveler will take the reader on a unique and unforgettable journey across Tolkien’s magical landscape.

Sorry I was supposed to write "More LotR and the Hobbit art". It is now fixed. :P 

And speaking of Tolkien related titles I just ordered a copy of The Fall of Gondolin, A Middle-earth Traveller and finally also Alan Lee's The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook. It was way overdue.

• 4 weeks later...

An excellent set of companion books indeed. Out of all the illustrators who have tried their hand at depicting Tolkien's world that I have seen over the years these two (and perhaps Ted Nasmith) still capture the feel and world of the author's writing the best. And this was my feeling even before the LotR films.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Kühni said:

Got John Howe's book as well, lovely stuff. Has more talent in his left hand's little finger's nail than I have in my entire body. Looking forward to Alan Lee's book (sets timer so I won't forget about it in September).

My reaction after reading and enjoying the wonderful art of Howe's A Middle-earth Traveller was "Can we have more of this, please!".

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 9:08 AM, Holko said:

Did anyone else completely miss the news about the forthcoming "HoME Volume 14"?

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Nature_of_Middle-earth

I did miss this bit of news. Thanks for bring it up Holko!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 7:34 PM, Bilbo said:

Started listening to this this evening. Series is very enjoyable. 

8CBF8C70-29B6-4ED9-935D-0E37E35F6B2C.png

I listened to this also....the Serkis narration is outstanding, and much better than I was expecting. Based on his live stream of reading the book (which I thought wasn't as good), I thought hearing his voice would be distracting. But he does a fantastic job, especially in imitating the voice, or at least the style, of the actors who portrayed their respective characters in the film. 

Not better than the Rob Ingis narration, but different enough to be welcome indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I read somewhere that an Amazon exec said that they need to make Lord of the Rings appeal to a "giant, global audience".

As if a story that's sold over 150 million copies, been translated into something like 40 languages and spawned six films that made a billion dollars each needs Amazon to help its global appeal. I think Tolkien might have known what he's doing, and to my knowledge, his only focus group was The Inklings.

12 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I read somewhere that an Amazon exec said that they need to make Lord of the Rings appeal to a "giant, global audience".

As if a story that's sold over 150 million copies, been translated into something like 40 languages and spawned six films that made a billion dollars each needs Amazon to help its global appeal.

I don't think they mean it that way.

The franchise has a built-in global appeal, which Amazon is counting upon. Obviously, one doesn't make the most expensive TV show of all time just for a select audience: they make it for everyone; as well they should.

That is a separate issue from the diversity subject, which Amazon is committed to regardless. All the "diverse" people in the cast (Amazon's term) are NOT there to play Haradrim and Easterlings. Not what I would have done, but you can make it work; we shall have to wait and see, I suppose.

56 minutes ago, Kühni said:

I guess we won't be seeing any Nenets, Ainu, Curonians, Zapotecs or Yanomami in the series, hm?

I see what you did there.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Nick, you're forgetting the iconic line from that movie.

"You!" Sam says when he finds the Ring outside Cirith Ungol. "Oh, I can feel you throbbing with excitement."

Hysterical stuff.

Hey, this is a family forum! You clean up your act mister!

• 1 year later...