The J.R.R Tolkien Discussion Thread

you don't seem to give a fuck about anything these days, anyway!

Shush, Alice! Chaac has been really depressed recently! But, fortunately, I happen to have the cure for that!

that video is pretty intense... what if it had opposite effect? what if you just killed chaac!?!?!?

I have a better cure. watch and learn:

Hug-Emoticon-1-.gif

• 5 months later...

Yes that looks very beautiful. I wish only that there were Alan Lee or John Howe illustrations. I have become rather attached to their seminal work. Francis Mosley's work there reminds me of the Queen of Denmark Margrethe II's illustrations of LotR.

I am extremely attached to Lee and Howe (and Nasmith, to a slightly lesser degree). I have their illustrated editions, as well -- although the nice slipcased versions of yore are WAAAAAAY outside my budget! Artwork from each of them hangs framed on my walls, for me to enjoy on a daily basis. But the reason I appreciate the Mosely (and Queen Margrethe) illustrations so much is precisely on account of their more stripped-down and stylized quality. They are more SUGGESTIVE, where Lee and Howe are more EXPLICIT, and I sometimes prefer that when reading. Fortunately, my bookshelf is big enough to accommodate both approaches! :)

I am extremely attached to Lee and Howe (and Nasmith, to a slightly lesser degree). I have their illustrated editions, as well -- although the nice slipcased versions of yore are WAAAAAAY outside my budget! Artwork from each of them hangs framed on my walls, for me to enjoy on a daily basis. But the reason I appreciate the Mosely (and Queen Margrethe) illustrations so much is precisely on account of their more stripped-down and stylized quality. They are more SUGGESTIVE, where Lee and Howe are more EXPLICIT, and I sometimes prefer that when reading. Fortunately, my bookshelf is big enough to accommodate both approaches! :)

Very well said and true. And I do also enjoy both approaches. :)

• 1 month later...

Just saw this (even though its not new) and found it hilarious, thought I should post it here.

also, has anyone read the history of middle earth series? what did you think about it?

It's a pretty large time commitment, but well worth it. Utterly fascinating to see the ideas progress towards the forms that we know, and perhaps a bit frustrating if you're easily bothered by multiple continuities.

also, has anyone read the history of middle earth series? what did you think about it?

It's a pretty large time commitment, but well worth it. Utterly fascinating to see the ideas progress towards the forms that we know, and perhaps a bit frustrating if you're easily bothered by multiple continuities.

Yes it s a rather scholarly work that requires a good deal of enthusiasm and patience from the reader as most of this work deals with Tolkien's unpublished papers and drafts and charts the evolution of these stories, Silmarillion and Lord of the Rings in particular. They are by no means something one would read for pure pleasure like a normal novel as they delve very deeply into the differences between different drafts and phases of Tolkien's work, how subtle changes were instituted by the author as he shaped his creations through decades and how he often changed his mind on either details or larger ideas in his work and added, changed or omitted them altogether. Christopher Tolkien has done an enormous job with this and his footnotes and commentaries are an invaluable help. It is fascinating stuff if you are interested in myriad retellings and restructurings of Tolkien's world and histories and ideas and how these stories eventually developed into the shape they have in the finished works.

And there are a few of interesting independent new stories included along the way like the Lost Road.

Another scholar, John Rateliff, has written the History of the Hobbit, which does that same for that novel, going into very fine detail and examination of the novel and its evolution, influences and background.

• 2 weeks later...

I think those book covers are an allegory of the cycle of life:

Hobbit: Egg cells ready for conception

FOTR: Sperm cells ready for egg hunt

Two Towers: Flags are being planted; fertilization

ROTK: A tree has sprouted; birth

I think those book covers are an allegory of the cycle of life:

Hobbit: Egg cells ready for conception

FOTR: Sperm cells ready for egg hunt

Two Towers: Flags are being planted; fertilization

ROTK: A tree has sprouted; birth

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I've started reading The Silmarillion. I first attempted this book back when I was 11 years old or so. I was definitely still in primary school and it was just too damn difficult. Going through it now and it's been worth the wait. It's a beautiful book and the detail is worth spending the time with. It's like reading the mythology of a real culture. I'm looking forward to re-reading The Lord of the Rings again afterward to see what new details I pick up on. :)

Yeah, I started with The Return of the Shadow, I was actually going through it for alternate Chapter titles to use for my edit where I am using as many of Tolkien titles as possible for track titles, but then I got sucked into a deeper level of my Tolkien fandom.

• 2 weeks later...

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Announces Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Middle-earthShadowOfMordorCover-1024x574

In Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, gamers take on the role of Talion, a valiant ranger whose family is slain in front of him the night Sauron and his army return to Mordor, moments before his own life is taken. Resurrected by a Spirit of vengeance and empowered with Wraith abilities, Talion ventures into Mordor and vows to destroy those who have wronged him. Through the course of his personal vendetta, Talion uncovers the truth of the Spirit that compels him, learns the origins of the Rings of Power and ultimately confronts his true nemesis.

Sounds exciting, right? Right?!