The J.R.R Tolkien Discussion Thread

Yeah... now THIS is fan-fiction poppycock. Bring on all the Tauriel, Azog, and bunnies you want PJ.

They're not just any bunnies you know. They're the Bunnies of Doom.

You don't know how old he is. Maybe he's one of the Dunedain and is more than 80 years old in the films!

He is a northmen, not a dunedain, though they are kin.

But... an elf and a mortal man falling in love? Daring! Where do you dream these things up?

There's already half a female in the mix though. Duh, WITCH-KING... clearly the greatest of the nine was intended to be a hermaphrodite.

But... an elf and a mortal man falling in love?

Totally a rip-off of Berethor and....whatshername

Idrial.

How did they get away with a character called Morwen in that game actually? Is Morwen referenced in LOTR somewhere? *Don't have one of my 3 billion copies with me to check*

How did they get away with a character called Morwen in that game actually? Is Morwen referenced in LOTR somewhere?

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Morwen

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I know she's in the Silmarillion but they don't have the rights to use names from there as far as I know so I was wondering if the name crops up elsewhere to allow them to use it.

They're definitely very different characters.

No I think Tolkien only ever sold the film rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The Tolkien Estate still has the film rights to The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales (and subsequent books).

If there's a Morwen mentioned somewhere in the Appendices to The Lord of the Rings then they could use the name.

At least that's what I'm assuming. PJ couldn't mention the names of the Blue Wizards in The Hobbit but he could mention them generally.

EDIT: Damn you LeBlanc!

• 2 weeks later...

Great... I'm expecting very original scenes, like for example Tolkien seeing a friend die during a battle, then right after that, him writing the death of Boromir... As long as they include C.S. Lewis with a hook, I guess we'll be OK.

Not if they want to keep to history, Tolkien did not start writing LOTR until the 30's/40's

C.S. Lewis will have a deep voice ;)

Honestly even though Tolkien's life was not devoid of dramatic turns, creating a movie out it seems redundant.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there is a Google translate like site for elvish translating (probably not that accurate)

and there is a Elvish dictionary site, thats all I can think of..

• 5 weeks later...

Indeed! Happy Birthday Mr. Tolkien! You continue to be an inspiration!