The Chronicles of Narnia (Netflix reboot)

BloodBoal

Loved the first, liked the second (mostly because Caspian was a looker), overall a fan of the series but I didn't even bother to see the latest movie, it didn't appeal to me at all. I can't imagine the fourth one will be worth seeing.

Loved the first, liked the second (mostly because Caspian was a looker), overall a fan of the series but I didn't even bother to see the latest movie, it didn't appeal to me at all. I can't imagine the fourth one will be worth seeing.

She has returned! :o

Can't believe this lackluster film franchise continues, while the Golden Compass trilogy never got a fair chance. (It didn't help the first film was the worst adaptation in recent history of course.)

When your budget is almost $200 million and you only take in $71 domestically, I'd say the odds of the franchise ever seeing the light of day anytime soon is almost zero.

Plus the series is somewhat controversial in its message.

The film is a bit uneven, sure. But at least there has some interesting concept and I like the look of the world. Not to mention Desplat's score.

Karol

I couldn't finish The Golden Compass. The acting was atrocious, and that crappy CGI bear beat out Transformers for the visual effects Oscar. Unbelievable.

What was so great about the special effects in Transformers? Everything moved so fast you couldn't even tell what was going on anyway!

I saw "TL,TW,+TW" on DVD, and "PC" at the flicks (and wished I hadn't). How does "TVOTDT" compare to these? I really wanted to see "TVOTDT", but I only had enough money for one film, so "TRON:Legacy" won out.

I enjoy Micheal Apted's films ("Gorky Park" is brilliant, and "Orbis Non Sufficit" is a very "internal" film, especially for what it was. Heck, even "Bring On The Night" wasn't bad), so I'd be interested to learn if this film was story-driven, or more character-driven.

I'm sorry, but Bayforme-- er, Transformers is shit. Including the CGI -- which isn't ILM's most crowning achievement. It was detailed and almost photo-realistic -- but the atrocious action sequences, bad lighting and haphazard editing destroyed any realism.

I say The Golden Compass deserved that Oscar. Double Negative and MPC had more challenges than ILM did, which included animating all the daemons (from large to small) and Pan's shifting form. The polar bears could've gone through more rendering, but they were decent.

:up:

But the visuals were impressive.

Exactly. I'd say a good 90% of Transformers is pure shit, but I'll be damned if it didn't deserve that award.

Whoaa I thought Transformers was awesome! (the first, not so much the second)

And to my return posts - haha yes I'm back and no you didn't scare me off, I took up a major job in high school that took up 90% of my free time. It's funny I started posting on here when I was in middle school and now I am in college and people still don't know who John Williams is :shakehead: Sad sad people.

:up:

But the visuals were impressive.

Exactly. I'd say a good 90% of Transformers is pure shit, but I'll be damned if it didn't deserve that award.

Whoaa I thought Transformers was awesome! (the first, not so much the second)

I only enjoy the last 40 minutes or so. Everything that isn't robots killing each other was cringe-worthy.

Anyone who says that Transformers' CGI isn't some of the best in recent years is not being realistic. The film is absolute crap, that's not in question. But the CGI in that film is quite impressive.

Anyone who says that Transformers' CGI isn't some of the best in recent years is not being realistic. The film is absolute crap, that's not in question. But the CGI in that film is quite impressive.

I think the CGI in "Transformers" is very good but it's not impressive. ILM's work on Davy Jones in the POTC films is far more impressive and realistic -- even ILM's work on "Avatar" is far more impressive than gigantic robots beating the shit out of each other.

I think the CGI in "Transformers" is very good but it's not impressive. ILM's work on Davy Jones in the POTC films is far more impressive and realistic -- even ILM's work on "Avatar" is far more impressive than gigantic robots beating the shit out of each other.

I'm not a CGI expert but isn't that kinda comparing grapes to raisins? The work on Davy Jones is phenomenal but aren't the computer animators given more to work with there because they are able to base the facial qualities off the real life actor, while in Transformers they had nothing to work with. The CGI in transformers is exceptional especially the close-ups on the Autobots/Decepticons. However, one scene that always sticks out for me for close up CGI is in Revenge of the Sith in the Grievous vs Obi-Wan scene when they're about to do battle Grevious says something like "I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Dooku.." there is a close up on Greivous' face which then pans out and his other two arms comes out. I was always thought the detail in that was really good, especially on his face.

Maybe it's just my hate for everything Michael Bay tainting my opinion of the CGI. I'd like to think that if "Transformers" were a better movie overall, I'd be more complementary.

And judging by the trailers for "Transformers 3", it looks like more of the same. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

It's cool that they're making the Magician's Nephew. From what I remember, it wasn't quite as epic as the other books, so perhaps we'll get more than a film made just for the sake of having a big LotR-style battle at the end (at least that was my impression of Wardrobe, I haven't seen the other two films).

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I understand their reasons, but I dint think the box office dropoffs are necessarily tied to the book sales as much as they seem to think

• 1 month later...

Maybe. I kind of wish they made the other parts of The Golden Compass thing. It wasn't nearly as bad as people say.

Karol

I SO AGREE! I was very excited to see the next two chapters, but the whole "Christian Right anti-campaign thing" killed its continuation. It made 120 million in the U.S., I believe, and did extremely well overseas, but, apparently, no dice! I wish they would include the footage that had been originally filmed for the first part, to give it a more complete ending. I liked that potential series as much as Narnia. It was even darker, and definitely more adult.

I'm shocked that they're making a fourth one. The way that the third one ended, we were given clear proof that it was dead. The third was more interesting than the second, but a much shallower story, and didn't seem a very significant episode in the series. For me, so far, the original is still the best. But, I'm glad they're making a fourth one. The Great Lion lives to inspire and fight another day. I also think Eustace was the heart of the last film. To see him as an older fellow with his new cast of mind would be very interesting. Thanks so much for the info.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Cool. I too think they should make The Silver Chair and not The Magician's Nephew next

• 11 months later...

It's not going anywhere fast, THAT's for sure. Shame, really. I liked the sequels too.

Can't go that far wrong on a voyage with a ship with some magic and treasure and monsters thrown in, after all! :D

It's not too late to film The Silver Chair if they do it soon. So the actors have aged a bit more than they should have, no big deal.

Then as you saw Magician's Nephew and Horse don't feature the same kids from the first 4 stories

Then by Film/Book 7 they are supposed to be older anyway so it could all work.

If they start soon!

Then by Film/Book 7 they are supposed to be older anyway so it could all work.

Except I think they (Eustace and Jill) are also supposed to be youngish as well in the beginning though.

I was just thinking about Narnia Sunday, wondering what happened, or what was going to happen to series or if it was effectively dead.

Never did pick up Arnold's score to the third film.

Arnold's score is pretty good. A bit more subdued than, say, Independence Day. But very fantasy-appropriate with some very nice cues.

I really don't care about all that Superhero stuff. Give us some ADVENTURE already! And fantasy tends to have quite a bit of adventure! :D

Harry Potter 1 would have been a box office failure if it were made and released now, unless they made the character a superhero who goes to wizard school by day and fights dark wizard crime by night.

Arnold's score is pretty good. A bit more subdued than, say, Independence Day. But very fantasy-appropriate with some very nice cues.

It's not a bad score in the end.

Karol

• 4 months later...