The Chronicles of Narnia (Netflix reboot)

BloodBoal

The Chronicles Of Narnia Returning With The Silver Chair

TriStar Pictures and The Mark Gordon, The C.S. Lewis Company, and Entertainment one today officially announced plans to revive The Chronicles of Narnia film franchise with The Silver Chair. Sony and eOne will distribute. Mark Gordon, C.S. Lewis’ stepson Douglas Gresham, Vincent Sieber, and Melvin Adams will produce. David Magee (Life of Pi, Finding Narnia) will write the script.

This will be a new start for the beloved C.S. Lewis children’s series on the big screen. The previous franchise saw adaptations of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (2005),Prince Caspian (2008), and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010), and earned $1.6 billion in total. The first two films were distributed by Disney, while Dawn Treader was handled by Fox.

“Developing this project with The C.S. Lewis Company has been immensely exciting and a real joy,” Gordon told Deadline. “We are so pleased to team up with our good friends at TriStar and our partners at eOne to introduce this new, magical chapter of the Narnia franchise to fans around the world, both old and new.”

“Reading The Chronicles of Narnia was one of the formative experiences of my childhood, just as it has been for children around the world for generations,” Minghella said in a statement. “To have the opportunity to bring new life to the Narnia films with a new creative team is a career highlight. Our mission is to build TriStar Pictures as a home for filmmaker-driven literary and commercial movies, and this film represents a huge step forward for us. We’re thrilled to be working with Mark, Doug, Melvin, Vincent, and David as we adapt The Silver Chair.”

“It’s been both fun and exciting to work with Mark Gordon and David Magee to develop the next Narnian movie, and now it’s a thrill to welcome Tristar to our Narnia family,” said Gresham. “I greatly look forward to plunging again into the joys and challenges of once more bringing Narnia to the screen, this time with the wonderful story of The Silver Chair.”

The Silver Chair was the fourth published novel in The Chronicles of Narnia series and is the sixth in Lewis’ preferred, chronological reading order. The story takes place 10 years after the events of Voyage of the Dawn Treader in Narnia’s timeline, but only one year later on Earth. Prince Caspian is now King Caspian X, and his son and heir, Prince Rilian, has gone missing. Aslan summons two English children to solve the mystery of the Prince’s disappearance: Eustace Scrubb, who was seen previously in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and his classmate, Jill Pole.

Are they gonna wedge Tilta Swinton into this story too somehow?

Korzeniowski would be a good choice to score.  What happened to that guy?  Haven't heard from him in a while (Penny Dreadful wasn't my thing)

Well apparently it's a little controversial actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_of_the_Green_Kirtle#The_Green_Lady_and_the_White_Witch

I always assumed so because in the BBC Narnia series of the 80s/90s, the same actress played both The White Witch and The Green Lady (main baddie of Silver Chair)

Why do you all think they'll bring back Tilda Swinton when the press release made such a big deal of referring to the last 3 movies as a "different franchise?" Sounds to me like there won't be any overlap with the previous movies, up to and including the casting of Liam Neeson as Aslan. Personally, I'll only miss Will Poulter.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I always assumed so because in the BBC Narnia series of the 80s/90s, the same actress played both The White Witch and The Green Lady (main baddie of Silver Chair)

Maybe it's kinda like how Hook and Mr. Darling were traditionally played by the same actor in theatrical performances of Peter Pan.

Why would they bother with a reboot here?

It's a film that could easily fit in wroth the three that came before.

Just requires reusing some actors, probably the general look of the world and not going against what was established in the previous ones.

In this case, that sounds quite feasible.

On 8/9/2016 at 4:38 PM, Jay said:

Korzeniowski would be a good choice to score.  What happened to that guy?  Haven't heard from him in a while (Penny Dreadful wasn't my thing)

He's got another score coming out this year - Nocturnal Animalsdirected by Tom Ford who did A Single Man.

On 8/10/2016 at 5:18 AM, BloodBoal said:

And why would they reboot a franchise with a middle episode?

"Hey, I know, why not reboot LOTR starting with The Two Towers?"

That'd be a dumb move. Especially since the Narnia stories are only loosely connected, and there's barely anything (if not nothing) that happens in one that affects another. Plus ignoring the previous films would be more problematic than taking them into account.

For example, in The Silver Chair, Eustace is bound to mention at some point his adventures with Caspian (since he won't be surprised about Narnia). If we ignore the previous films, then he's talking about something we've never seen, we won't care much about it . If we take into account the previous films, at least we can make an easier connection and feel more invested in what he's talking about and his adventures.

I'm just gonna assume that the "reboot" aspect mentioned in the press release is just a poor choice of words. Not that it would change the movie much, of course, if they do in fact want it to be a reboot (since Poulter is never going to reprise his role as Eustace, ultimately, the only difference would be the actor voicing Aslan. I don't even remember if Aslan shows up/talks in The Silver Chair!)

Aslan show up in Silver Chair.

In fact the beginning of the book takes place in Aslan's World.

• 4 months later...

It's never going to happen, folks.

Didn't they stupidly make all the movies out of chronological order, anyway? Meaning all the films need to be recast every few years anyway?

13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

it's simple: in The Magician's Nephew, we follow 2 kids that don't reappear in the other books except in The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe and The Last Battle, but only briefly and as old people, so they're not gonna use the same actors as in The Magician's Nephew anyway.

They should use the old actors with digital de-aging CGI! It would be ageist to re-cast them.

• 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You obviously didn't read the article. Disney will have nothing to do with that one (like they didn't have anything to do with the third one).

I'm sure you could've corrected my mistake in a less snide manner, but yes, thank you for that valuable bit of info.

As for my guess on who will be composing the score, I'm thinking probably JNH. Or possibly Shore.

7 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

I'm sure you could've corrected my mistake in a less snide manner, but yes, thank you for that valuable bit of info.

Bloodboal posts like Bloodboal posts, and there's really nothing anyone can do about it.

He is!

Joe Johnston, eh?

Not a bad choice. He tends to make at least entertaining adventure movies.

And I can't think of one that didn't have a pretty darn good score!

So I'm remaining optimistic here.

Any chance of David Arnold returning...?

Still, I wouldn't mind if they DON'T make this a reboot because I really don't see the point since this is a different story altogether.

Hopefully at the very least they won't clearly declare the previous three as "non canonical" within the film itself.

Then the viewers can choose for themselves.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

JNH... I could see that happen. Shore? Not in a million years.

Why not? It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. If he scores TSC, he would have scored a film in all three of the most popular fantasy franchises; LOTR, Harry Potter, and Narnia.

I think JohnSolo is confused.  Howard Shore scored the LOTR films, but not a Harry Potter film.  JNH scored Fantastic Beasts, but not a LOTR film.

Publication order is absolutely the best way to read these books, and the best order to make the films.  The chronological order list has always been a shit list.

Publication order is always the way to go.  It's how the author perceived the story.  That being said, there are some series where it's not the end of the world if you read them chronologically.  But I feel on some level you're missing the way the story unfolded in their mind.

I read The Magician's Nephew first........... but after having already seen the late-80s BBC television adaptation of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (still my favorite adaptation) so it doesn't really count.

• 2 months later...