JWfangirl1992

The "What I Do For a Living" Thread

Meh . . . maybe eventually. I'd hate to do it now . . . I'd feel like I was giving in to peer pressure or something. ;)

Doing stuff just because other people do it is never a good thing. But NOT doing stuff just because other people do it is just as bad. Don't make the switch because Firefox and Chrome are seen as cooler than IE...make the switch because they're objectively, undeniably better in literally every way! :D

Also, what Jay said. :P

Jay's argument suggests that using IE is inherently unsafe but can feel better, especially if you give the internet a pill. But IE will still make a mess of your computer, there's no denying that.

Here's all y'all

Here's the line: __________

Here's me

Gender specificity in the English language is an interesting thing, and if by interesting I mean confusing, then I'm right.

We don't have the pronouns and adjectives for male and female that languages like Spanish do; English dropped them centuries ago.

You've got steward/stewardess, actor/actress, salesman/saleswoman, etc., but manager, teacher, and soldier can be gender neutral. Many people use "flight attendant" for steward/stewardess, or the generic "person" like "salesperson."

"Freshman" is a legacy from decades ago, when only men went to college and were not sensitive to the political correctness of what to call women. Now many schools, particularly women's colleges, use "first year," "second year," and so on.

Besides, "freshwoman" sounds much worse than calling a woman a "freshman." I somehow think the fresh prince was looking for freshwomen.

"Oh, stewardess. I speak jive"

It's a standard term for the school years in college and high school..

1st year = freshman, 2nd year = sophomore, 3rd year = junior, 4th year = senior.

It was a joke, i knew it was some term for college, but the different denominations i did not knew, thanks for the explanation.

Luke who always wondered what Indy's somophore years (mentioned in the novels) truly meant.

I think i looked into a spanish-english dictionary to not avail... and never thought to use google :/

I do that as a hobby with one practice each week in the spring/summer season and again nearing Christmas. The difference is that I don't get paid to, and have to work in the office five days a week. And dressing up consists of black pants and a polo shirt.

I've got a new job at a private senior citizens home assistance service.

Which means, of course, visiting elderly people and helping them with their household and, in most cases, bathing them, making them supper/dinner and so on.

It's a great way to prepare yourself for your future as a doctor.

I got a degree in Computer Science back 2000 and have been working in the IT Security and Information Assurance fields ever since. I'm a CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) and GCIH (SANS Certified Incident Handler) and love the type of work that I do, just not the job right now.

Will probably start my Masters in the fall and go for a MBA of some sort since I want to be a CISO or director someday very soon.

I've done this and that over the years.

Started off with 11 years on the university, 8 as a student (also including one year in the army), 4 as an assistant professor in media studies. In 2007, I decided to try something else, and began working in TV - mostly with casting - and as a film journalist for montages.no, which is one of the most acclaimed film sites in Scandiavia. However, there were often long periods inbetween projects, and that got on my nerves. So now (actually, I have an interview next week), I'm maybe going back to the professor position at the institute I was working at previously. Back to academia, in other words. For better or worse.

I've been a payroll auditor, then an internal auditor, now I make legal decisions on unemployment claims. I also was password administrator. That was quite fun especially since I did it for the entire state system. I really enjoy my job. I'm thinking about applying for a prosecutors position,

Sorry to bump this old thread, I'm a Senior SAP Developer.

Altough I feel more like an artist inside of me, I made a career in computers... doing that since 21 years.

At 11 I wrote programs on my Commodore VIC-20. It always was easy for me.

But in my head, there's only music.

I'm an Oracle database programmer. Used to work for the federal government, now I work in higher education. It's a quiet, enjoyable life. I don't consider myself an ambitious person.

Of course I also have kids, so it's not that quiet.

7 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Why are you sorry? Did you break a rule?

It's common practice to apologize for bumping a thread that was dead for 5 years :-)

I'm a software engineer. I make websites utililizing asp.net and SQL Server, for internal use by our employees (and sometimes one site for the public).

Lots of IT and developers huh? 

Software developers are to 2000-2050

As

Factory workers were to 1900-1950

Only difference is the pace of our jobs being outsourced to cheaper labor is accelerated :mellow:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm a software engineer. I make websites utililizing asp.net and SQL Server, for internal use by our employees (and sometimes one site for the public).

"He's a transponster! He's a transponster!"

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

The company I work for started to stop outsourcing, realizing it causes more problems than benefits!

Seriously...

DId they receive a visit from Dr Malcom?

NkhwwCq.jpg

1 hour ago, Melange said:

DId they receive a visit from Dr Malcom?

No, they just fired the director and hired a new one.