JWfangirl1992

The "What I Do For a Living" Thread

The former, and the doctors come from any number of specialties, some of which spend much more time in a laboratory than with patients.  Still, the main training they get is in the organization's medical policy - that we have enough information to fully assess in a policy-compliant way, and that the end result is compliant with how our policy is written and interpreted.

To some extent - there are several levels of quality review, levels of appeal, etc - so we need to make sure the final determ makes sense.

But mainly it's just recognizing documentation requirements in a rigid program.  If you are a treating primary care physician, you can reasonably say (as a very basic example), "oh, I hear your complaint and see that you're having trouble walking/bending your knee.  You have knee arthritis" and give the patient appropriate treatment such as a brace, meds, physical therapy - without necessarily sending them for an X-ray or an MRI.

But in a program where the deciding doctor doesn't examine a patient in person, everything must come with associated test finding (such as an X-ray) to document a diagnosis.  And if the treating PCP has chicken scratch notes, or doesn't examine the knee fully and then fully document that examination, then there isn't enough evidence - the doctor needs to recognize that and send out for more information.

In some ways, it's a matter of unlearning what you've learned in med school and practice (i.e. there's a lot of following your gut instinct on things) and relearning it in the frame of assessing somebody's functional ability.

On 3/22/2017 at 7:45 AM, BloodBoal said:

You have to devote your life to your job. It defines you. It is who you are. If you refuse to accept that, then you do not belong in the company!

Unfortunately this is the viewpoint of many companies. 

On 3/22/2017 at 7:41 AM, Stefancos said:

The perfect employee is politically neutral, white, heterosexual but unmarried and has no kids, is about 19 years old so he's cheap to employ, but has about 25 years work experience.

And doesnt have a 9-5 mentality.

Nope. Married and with kids is a double bonus. He doesn't want to get fired then. 

A 19 year old has nothing to lose. 

On 3/22/2017 at 7:45 AM, BloodBoal said:

You have to devote your life to your job. It defines you. It is who you are. If you refuse to accept that, then you do not belong in the company!

Depends on the company. My company lets us work from home during morning hours. And no one sits around watching a clock to make sure you're there. Though most everyone is salaried so it doesn't matter does it?

Now that said, when crunch time comes, crunch time comes and you're expected to do what's necessary to you know...have a company so you can have a job. But that's the exception not the rule. 

Just now, Richard said:

Hi, guys, I just thought that I'd share some good news, that I received, today, to wit: I've been offered a job! Yeah, me!

No start-date, yet, but I'm looking forward to earning an honest crust, again, and not needing to go cap-in-hand to the government.

I'm not sure if anyone can appreciate this, but it feels like I have a future, again, I have something to look forward to, I feel...validated, and wanted, again.

Congratulations.

I hope everything turns out great!

31 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hi, guys, I just thought that I'd share some good news, that I received, today, to wit: I've been offered a job! Yeah, me!

No start-date, yet, but I'm looking forward to earning an honest crust, again, and not needing to go cap-in-hand to the government.

I'm not sure if anyone can appreciate this, but it feels like I have a future, again, I have something to look forward to, I feel...validated, and wanted, again.

Great news Richard! I am very happy for you! :) 

That's great Richard! And just in time before May completely consolidates power and has all the welfare "scroungers" rounded up for organ harvesting, to ease the financial burden on the NHS!

Recently gotten a promotion/lateral move at work, that does come with a nice pay raise.  I'm really taking most of my current job with me, but with the added bonus of no longer working for a man who thinks Obama was a secretly evil Muslim trying to undermine America from within with Sharia law.

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Wtf you worked for Drax? 

I never thought Ovana was a Muslim. Secretly an atheist maybe, rather like Trumq.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Now I work for a woman.  All of my most positive job experiences have been with female bosses.  Hopefully that continues to be the case.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Same here. Generally it's a more positive environment.

Good luck.

I've worked for both men and women and I've hated most of my bosses. My former editors, male and female, have been some of the most anal-retentive, pedantic and indecisive nightmare cases, and my publishers have all been know-nothing morons.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Now I work for a woman.  All of my most positive job experiences have been with female bosses.  Hopefully that continues to be the case.

I've had a woman on top of me, several times, and it's been good :)

BTW, the new job is going well. I've had to relearn certain skills that I hadn't used for several years, and I've made a few mistakes, but I enjoy the work. Bought the SGT. PEPPER box, as a "well done, me" pressie!

16 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Any insight into those new studies in trying to reduce allergy severity with minimal daily exposure?

That sounds a lot like Immunotherapy, which is what I do. Most call them allergy shots. What you are doing is injection, in small diluted doses, of what you are allergic to. The goal is to give your body the chance to build up a resistance to those allergens. It is a lengthy, but very successful, procedure. There have been studies in the same kind of treatment to those with peanut allergies, but those are not yet approved by the FDA, covered by insurances, and run a high risk of anaphylaxis. Immunotherapy has been around for 100+ years, started in the military. I've been on the treatment now for 4 years and I can honestly say that it really turned a lot of my symptoms to minimal and non-existent.

Reading some Facebook comments about fair work rules and laws is a big laugh. Many of them claim they're employers and boast about how they fire people for the most insignificant and pettiest of reasons.

This leads me to a question - are American employers generally like this? They sound like they get off on making their employees' lives a living hell. Is it something unique to the culture over there? Who'd want to work for someone like that anyway?

They seem to be irrationally paranoid that their employees are out to drain their resources by doing as little work as possible, and must be monitored like a hawk. They'll even outsource this monitoring to third party companies at great expense "just to catch 'em in the act". By that, it sounds like they thrive on conflict.

One guy on Facebook bragged that he fired someone for asking how his weekend was because "muh company ain't got time for yor tears!"

I don't necessarily believe that this one was fair dinkum, but that among others reveals a deeply ingrained aggressive and adversarial attitude toward employees and subordinates.

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

What was your allergy? My girlfriend is deathly allergic to fish and it'd be cool if one day she didn't have to worry about it whenever she eats out. 

You have't put a ring on it  yet?  What are you waiting for?

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

What was your allergy? My girlfriend is deathly allergic to fish and it'd be cool if one day she didn't have to worry about it whenever she eats out. 

I don't have food allergies. Mine are environmental. Sorry to hear about your girl, for now there is nothing she can do for a fish allergy. The only food allergy immunotherapy currently is for peanuts but it is not covered or FDA approved.