The Official Tadlow Thread

Ollie

A sneak peek at Tadlow's upcoming recording of Taras Bulba - Franz Waxman with Nic Raine and the City of Prague Philharmonic

I can't wait.

After the wonderful re-recordings of The Private Lives of Sherlock Holmes, True Grit, The Alamo, The Guns of Navarone, Lawrence of Arabia and Conan the Barbarian, Tadlow Music has recorded the complete score of Taras Bulba, the great Franz Waxman's score for the (not-so-great) 1962 film directed by J. Lee Thompson starring Tony Curtis and Yul Brinner.

The complete score has already been recorded, with Nic Raine conducting the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. No release date has been announced yet.

Here's a tasty, exihilarating preview that James Fitzpatrick shared today on YouTube: the adrenaline-pumping piéce de resistance "Ride to Dubno".

You forgot to mention my favorite, El Cid! ;)

I'm really excited for this recording, I own all their recordings except for Navarone and True Grit (this one being especially surprising, considering how much I love Bernstein) - maybe I should pick those up to help the wait for this one!

I wish I were interested, but after buying Kritzerland's release last year....

Just fyi, the Kritzerland's is a straight reissue of the OST album (with a couple of bonus tracks), which was a re-recording done by Waxman with a smaller orchestra.

It never fails for me to get excited for a Tadlow release. I love every recording of theirs that I own. James Fitzpatrick has some great taste in film music!

I posted a link in the upcoming soundtracks thread last night as well.

I wouldn't mind having a Tadlow thread but because of the time it takes to record and release it would get buried.

I wouldn't put any stock into over-analyzing a YouTube video for acoustic fidelity. Let the experts at FSM rip this a new one when it debuts.

But that was exhilirating! I may have to re-evaluate buying this. I do really enjoy the score, though I've never seen the film, and the Tadlow folks know what they're doing.

Hmmm...has anyone investigated a Wave file of this new recording? How is the cut-off?

:lol:

A separate thread for each Tadlow release is fine by me. They only do 1-2 a year

James Fitzpatrick has hinted that the next Tadlow re-recording would be the "less subtle score ever written". Lack of subtlety always reminds somehow of Tiomkin, and bearing in mind Tadlow has already recored two Tiomkin scores, could we we expect next something like The Fall of the Roman Empire? I know James is not particularly fond of that score, but it might be a popular release.

I know things are all tangled up with the Roza estate, but Quo Vadis is crying for the Tadlow treatment.

Part of me wonders, and I know joey225 has suggested it first, if Varese isn't doing a recording of Quo Vadis with Joel McNeely.

They really excel with these reconstructions under Nic Raine. I don't know if they give it more effort, if they have more rehearsal time or what, but their work with Raine and Fitzpatrick on these recordings is just pure magic.

I am surprised how acceptable the orchestra sounds despite of this untalented, ridiculous "conductor".

:blink:

What are you expecting from him? He conducts for a living, and he's not conducting a concert here! He is providing a VERY CLEAR pattern to keep the orchestra in line with a specific tempo that they try not to deviate from. This isn't the kind of recording for "expressive" conducting, this is for precise delineation of the beats and tempo. You watch him and you can clearly see what beat he is on what the tempo is. That is what he's going for. So don't throw words like that around, he knows what he's doing and he does it well.

• 3 months later...

Never heard any of these titles. Are they really that great?

I've brought everything Tadlow released last year, by the way.

So if they are as good as El Cid or Lawrence of Arabia, I will buy they without hesitate.

Hmmm. I really enjoy the Kritzerland album. I'm torn between just keeping that and buying this one.

I'm still waiting for Steiner's Don Juan to be released...and I'm really bad. I was waiting for Lawrence of Arabia to come out for so long, and I haven't touched it yet. It's been a frikkin year almost.

I am surprised how acceptable the orchestra sounds despite of this untalented, ridiculous "conductor".

:blink:

Raine's technique is alright, but the often sloppy performances he gets from his orchestra, weak acoustics of the hall, lazy production, along with several inaccurate arrangements, results in him and the COPP to getting a lot of flack from some film score collectors/enthusiasts.

• 1 month later...

Ooh, I forgot that they were going to make an announcement today.

Unless LaLaLand is behind this recording we'll have two versions of Empire. I'll buy both. One of my grails. Great news on Quo Vadis!

Oh yeah, it will be nice to hear Conan The Destroyer done properly with a good performance.

Weird that they would re-record FOTRE when LLL is releasing the original tracks this year

Conan The Destroyer makes sense since they did Barbarian. I wonder if they will adapt the written score back to a full size orchestra, since Poledouris condensed it for the orchestra he had to use

It's possible that LLL had no knowledge of Tadlow's plans to record the complete score. No matter though, I'll buy both anyway, they'll be nice complementary albums.

I'm really happy for Conan the Destroyer - I had assumed they would record it as it was in even more dire need of that than the first score was.

And Quo Vadis? I'm just beyond words with that one. I love that score, and James Fitzpatrick must have gone through hell and back with the rights to record this and obtaining the music. Really with this score being rerecorded and FotRE all my grails have been fulfilled. All I really want now is a complete Hook and whatever FSM may be working on for Ben-Hur.

the theme is the highlight but yes the rest of the score holds up. I think most here would find it too golden age sounding for them but I like it.

I caught part of the film when AMC aired it in widescreen (following the DVD release), and The High and the Mighty would be a must buy for me.

Oh yeah, it will be nice to hear Conan The Destroyer done properly with a good performance.

looking forward. But i hope they will make a new recording of Crystal Palace instead of using the one on their Conan Re-recording.

Weird that they would re-record FOTRE when LLL is releasing the original tracks this year

Wait - what? We're getting two versions of this this year?

Nice!

Tadlow's new recording of Waxman's complete Taras Bulba finally available to order!

http://www.tadlowmus...06/taras-bulba/

The preview clips sound amazingly good.

It's available from all the usual American retailers too:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/15551/TARAS-BULBA-2-CD-PRE-ORDER/

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7200/.f

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M08010/tarasbulba-tadlow/

Wow, what great news! I've been greatly enjoying Taras Bulba, but Quo Vadis might be the iconic score most in need of a complete re-recording. What wonderful news

From James Fitzpatrick:

"Yes it is confirmed next release with the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus will be on Prometheus Records, produced for them by Tadlow Music:

The complete 140 epic score to FALL OF THE ROMAN. Every bit of the score has been recorded from the original scores and parts used 1964 including music not used in the film. Olivia Tiomkin Douglas and Volta music were gracious enough to make this music available and grant first recording rights for the music that did not appear on the OST LP.

This production has probably been the biggest and most expensive in the history of re-recordings of classic film scores as the main title alone features an orchestra of 130 musicians including 80 strings,6 horns, 6 trumpets, 6 trombones etc...

While still not having a great liking for the film, once I had recorded all the music without reference to the images, I realised it is one of the greatest, and certainly the most difficult to play and record, of all film scores and certainly stands by itself as a massive piece of virtuoso composition.

Then next on the Prometheus/Tadlow agenda is the complete CONAN THE DESTROYER. This fulfils Basil's wish, and that of his family who lent their support to this project, that a good recording is made of this score as the composer is on record as saying how appalling the original recording and performance were. The original orchestra could not even play his main title music ... so the version in the film is an edit of various other cues.

And yes, plans are in final stages to record the complete QUO VADIS with the permission of EMI Music ...the publishers of the score"

Many thanks

James

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

• 2 months later...