The Official Tadlow Thread

Ollie

Did Intrada ever give a time frame for the Conan scores?

They did not, but they did say they will release Barbarian first and Destroyer later on. I get the impression Barbarian could be done by X-Mas, but there's all kinds of factors that could delay a release

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like James Fitzpatrick is quitting his magnificent re-recordings for Tadlow Music. On the FSM boards, replying to a request to re-record Alfred Newman's Captain from Castile, he wrote:

Having already recorded Conquest for Silva I would love to record more...but that will not happen in my lifetime as I would think Quo Vadis will be my last..... as these recordings just do not sell enough anymore to warrant the huge expense ! If I had saved all the money I had spent on these CDs I could have been quite well off......

http://www.filmscore...=1&r=674#bottom

:(

I think that a lot of the scores we bought on CD limited to 3,000 copies or whatever will soon be popping up on iTunes and the like available to everyone as compressed mp3s.

It's been stated several times than the studios "let" the independant labels re-release scores and give them access to their vaults because the independent labels do the work of remastering the music to today's standards, and the labels get to profit from CD sales, but then the studios themselves own that remastered master for future digital use. I suspect the studios are just waiting for the golden era of CD soundtrack re-releases to end

That sucks.

Yep, and Morgan & Stromberg also aren't planning anything new (even though they have a few in the can already recorded that should be released).

Whatever happened to Don Juan? I've been waiting for an announcement on that for months...

Bad news. I just wish they would have rerecorded one of the many bad-sounding Williams scores. Perhaps that would also have put a bit of money in the pocket?

Doug Fake has nice things to say about Tadlow's FOTRE re-recording

10/13/11

"The Rise Of The Roman Empire!" Ok, The Fall of it! Whatever. Producer James Fitzpatrick nails it down, sets it ablaze, then stomps on the ashes! Here's the Tiomkin recording to beat.

Much has been said about Tiomkin's favorite musical devices, the abundance of notes, the colorful orchestrations, the sheer volume of music. So true, so true, so true. But MY favorite device is his incredibly complex harmonic vocabulary.

Not to be confused with atonality and dissonance, areas Tiomkin rarely dwelled upon, I speak of his non-stop, rapid-fire machine gun-paced change of chords within his cues. Relying mostly on tried and true major and minor chords, Tiomkin uniquely raced through an abundance of those chords within mere beats, often moving around chromatically from one harmony to another with the same ferocity Jerry Goldsmith applied rhythms to action music. No small feat! But enough of harmony. Let's visit THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE as in this brand new Prometheus 2-CD set. And once you visit it, you'll be back. I've been there twice now, all two plus hours of it, and after a brief respite I'll go visit it again.

Yes, it's that good. This is surely one of the best re-recordings I've heard. Being such an ambitious score only adds to the good vibes!

What Fitzpatrick's crew does is capture the sheer energy of this weighted score, finding all the right colors again and again. Here an imposing solo organ, there a tender violin line, here a flutter-tongue trumpet figure, there a sturdy unison cello section... and before you know it, all the sweep and majesty of a full-blooded procession through Rome, right there in your living room, or your car, or your earbuds or whatever. However you carry sound from the CD player to your ear, Nic Raine conducts it, the City of Prague musicians play it, Prometheus presents it... and you're the beneficiary.

Hail Commodus! Hail Caesar! Maybe even hail Livius if you desire! But mostly, all hail Dimitri Tiomkin and his score of a lifetime!

• 5 months later...

Nic Raine has just posted this update on his facebook page regarding the Quo Vadis re-recording:

"Nic Raine: My 'complete' comment related to Quo Vadis. Another company is issuing all the 10 Commandments recordings soon so no need for us to duplicate that."

"Nic Raine: My 'complete' comment related to Quo Vadis. Another company is issuing all the 10 Commandments recordings soon so no need for us to duplicate that."

All the recordings? As in, full score plus alternates plus suites ala FSM's Ben-Hur? I'm not familiar with the score's recording history.

Also:

x-all-the-things-template.jpg

I've been saying for a while I am sure it's one of FSM's final releases. Hopefully they get it finished and shipping by Easter

If you like the Conan the Barbarian score enough, there is no reason to have simply one album in your collection.

The Milan/Varese/(inevitable Intrada release) presentation of the original album is important for its nostalgic and archival merit.

The Tadlow re-recording is noteworthy for being a faithful recreation of the complete score as intended by Mr. Poledouris, and includes music that was either unused in the film or was never recorded for the film. People complain about it not sounding exactly like the original score, by subduing or emphasizing specific instrument lines, or varying the tempo. To that I ask, so what? A rerecording never needs to be held to the same rigorous drumbeat and sound levels as a piece of music that must be synchronized to action on screen. As for the clipping, well...I don't think it's something to whine or issue death threats about. You might read differently at FSM.

And there are live recordings available of what Mr. Poledouris conducted at Ubeda shortly before his death, if you like live performances of film score music.

It's one of my most absolutely favorite scores of all time, and I listen to the Tadlow all the time. Far more than the Varese.

What are there conan re-recordings like coz i`m thinking of getting them?

Got the first one this week and I'm absolutely loving it. Get it!

The second one will arrive later next week.

Karol

• 3 months later...

Oh wow....I've been waiting for this one for a while now, didn't think it would happen so soon!!! The thought of Tadlow doing Quo Vadis makes my mouth water. I can't wait!

• 2 years later...

Mr. James Fitzpatrick from Tadlow has been discussing some upcoming releases he's working on

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS:

3 years ago I was going to do a new complete recording of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS but was put of doing so by Intrada as they were going to issue "the ultimate" Ten Commandments set. Wish I had gone ahead with the recording now.

THE BLUE MAX:

Still have to to a new recording of BLU MAX sometime as had all the score and pats done and a recording date set when LaLa then announce their edition...

OBSESSION

And the Herrmann score I will be re-recording in just a few weeks will now also have a re-release just about the same time I wanted to release my recording... a case of bad timing?
Well I'm not doing NNW ... but OBSESSION complete.... while another label will be issuing the original tracks. However, I might well do both a stereo and surround sound mix as this would really be good for the organ and choir bits...
Hopefully people will like the new recording as I will be using slightly larger forces than Herrmann used...rather than 4 hours...which Herrmann was not too happy with, apparently .. I will be using 8 horns stereo split 4 and 4 as well as stereo violins, stereo harps etc...

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=106229&forumID=1&archive=0

OBSESSION

And the Herrmann score I will be re-recording in just a few weeks will now also have a re-release just about the same time I wanted to release my recording... a case of bad timing?
Well I'm not doing NNW ... but OBSESSION complete.... while another label will be issuing the original tracks. However, I might well do both a stereo and surround sound mix as this would really be good for the organ and choir bits...
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=106229&forumID=1&archive=0

HrG5DHm.gif

And Tadlow's next Herrmann re-recording will be Obsession, while the original tracks should be released at roughly the same time by another label.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=5&threadID=106229&archive=0

If Tadlow is recording this soon, then when do you think we could expect a release? Early 2015?

So for Rio Conchos you wish you had not bought the rerecording that came out just before the reissue of the original tracks... But now for Sodam and Gomorrah you are pondering if you should not buy the original tracks to wait for the rerecording? Make up your mind Koko!

My brother bough the first release, so I have mp3s of the original recording. I just wanted to physically own it in my collection, but it would probably be best to wait and have both, right? Especially if the reissue isn't remastered.

The sound on that digimovies double cd set of Sodom and Gomorrah is pretty dismal, though. The sound on the 40 minute cd is reasonable. But if you don't have neither, I would most definitely recommend for you to wait for the re-recording