• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
El Jefe

The Official Tadlow Thread

294 posts in this topic

Why doesn't Tadlow make a list of possible candidates and send it to all competitors? it can't be so hard to reach out to 10 small companies to inquire about upcoming releases so that they don't run into these inconveniences all the time.

Sounds like a pretty good and simple idea. Perhaps too simple for them to think about it.

Probably because at the end of the day, they're all competitors? Each company is trying to run a profitable business and doesn't want to show their entire hand.

So if you're Mr. Varése or Mr. LLL, you deny answering a simple question with 'better don't do these 3 things right now, we're negotiating' because...? What disadvantage could stem from that?

Oh I had forgotten that Fitzpatrick planned the re-record The Blue Max but then LLL set came out so they didn't do it.

I have all three releases of the score and I'd pay premium price for a Tadlow recording.

James Fitzpatrick says, about their version of Obsession:

Final mixing of new recording next week in 5.1 etc...
All the sleeve notes are done....but I am on the lookout for some decent quality photos of Bernard Herrmann...if anyone has any please email me at tadlowmusic@hotmail.com

It seems worth mentioning that the long-rumored re-recording of Jerry Goldsmith's BLUE MAX is about to come upon us:

11169893_780341768728382_126142414885452

Here's a larger version of the pic that pub posted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/11157543_780341768728382_1261424148854526738_o.jpg

And here's the other pic that went up at the same time, kinda funny

11181946_780341765395049_680617387032789

https://www.facebook.com/tadlowmusic2/posts/660058984128100

I think The Blue Max will be the first Tadlow Recording I will buy!

James Fitzpatrick has revealed that they will also re-record Jerry Goldsmith's Inchon

https://www.facebook.com/tadlowmusic/videos/782124341883458/

That is awesome news! The score is really good, even if it seems like Patton and Tora! Tora! Tora! in one, The first time I heard, it was my wish to have it got a re-recording. It needs one badly!

Karol

Dracula! Give us John Williams' Dracula Mr. Fitzpatrick!

I'll absolutely buy Blue Max, of course. I'd been wishing (without much hope initially) for it ever since they started recording Goldsmith.

Yeah I relatively recently bought the LLL release but will certainly buy this as well. :)

I just hope the recording is just a wee bit less hot in the mastering department. INCHON would be great though if more Goldsmith, i'd prefer LIONHEART... :yes:

Yes, another one for the wish list. Lionheart!

I skipped the LLL Blue Max because the Intrada was enough for me, but I might get a Tadlow rerecording.

I just hope the recording is just a wee bit less hot in the mastering department. INCHON would be great though if more Goldsmith, i'd prefer LIONHEART... :yes:

And Rambo III.

I skipped the LLL Blue Max because the Intrada was enough for me, but I might get a Tadlow rerecording.

The LLL is a significant improvement where sound quality is concerned.

I really wonder if the orchestra can handle the intended fury of rambo III

TheGreyPilgrim will tell you which orchestra can :)

I'm glad, Marian, for those who wanted to double dip or just discovered it with the LLL. I couldn't.

I sold my (still sealed) Intrada The Blue Max off for a profit as soon as LLL announced their version. That was a freebie.

tumblr_lmz44e6q2I1ql19sko1_500.gif

I really wonder if the orchestra can handle the intended fury of rambo III

Surely better than the orchestra that performed the OST.

What I really think is one of Tadlow's strongest points is that their re-recordings are always (?) done at more or less exactly the same tempo as the original. The Morgan/Stromberg re-recordings, for example, whilst obviously well produced and neatly performed, never really synch up with the picture.

Some cues can benefit from a slightly slower or faster tempo, but in general, I'd prefer a re-recording to be done at the same tempo as the original.

Their Conan turned me into a fan of this score.

Karol

Ditto.

Their El Cid recording is one of the most beloved albums in my entire soundtrack collection.

A brilliant re-recording and also a cherished part of my collection as well.

What I really think is one of Tadlow's strongest points is that their re-recordings are always (?) done at more or less exactly the same tempo as the original. The Morgan/Stromberg re-recordings, for example, whilst obviously well produced and neatly performed, never really synch up with the picture.

I don't generally need that of a re-recording, though it's nice in those cases where the original recording is for some reason not available, or has sound or performance issues.

With The Blue Max, I'd love to have a full recordings with the tempi Goldsmith conducted at the 2001 LSO concert. My favourite performance of the score, but the Nerys recording obviously doesn't sound too good.

But I'm sure I'll be very happy with whatever they do, which is most likely the original film tempo.