El Jefe

The Official Tadlow Thread

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

I will be getting this. But it sure doesn't contain one track I always wanted in modern digital recording (and primary reason why I always wanted this re-recording to happen)... The Christ Theme. But I can see that would require a third disc so it was never to happen. Shame. Still excited about the album.

Wouldn't be the first time though that Tadlow has a complete score recording on one album and a suite or a couple of concert pieces on another (paired with a programme that doesn't completely fill its CDs). Granted, those usually come first, before the full release. But I imagine they might prepare the sheet music as part of the same project, so perhaps there's a (small) chance that this will still show up in the future.

Well I finally got my copy of Ben-Hur today (only took more than 2 weeks for the package to travel from UK to Finland). Looking forward to delving fully into this one! The Overture already sounds fantastic, full-bodied and lush.:) 

I have to say that the original recording on the FSM set sounds very good, as good as it can for so old materials I suppose but I always wished for a re-recording to hear the score in all its  splendor in crisp modern sound. I have to take time to listen to this new one still but for me it was a no brainer to get this one as I was a massive fan of the previous Tadlow Rózsa re-recordings and I would say they do the composer justice with their interpretations from the Private Life of Sherlock Holmes right down to the Thief of Bagdad, this new recording included.

Whether this is better than the original it is difficult to say. The playing is of high caliber and captures the composer's style admirably down to the recording technique but it is of course a new interpretation. If you can accept that and have no trouble with possible minute differences in dynamic and interpretation and  appreciate the modern sonic upgrade this is definitely for you. E.g. the choral performance style in Star of Bethlehem/Adoration of the Magi is clearly modern compared to the cooing 1950's and 1960's performance on the original recording and someone might be terribly miffed that it is not that faithful of a re-creation of the music but I for one prefer this new one to the old. Something like the famous Parade of the Charioteers is shall we say raw sounding on the FSM version thanks to the old source materials but here it is wonderfully vibrant and festive in its fanfaric glory.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

I have to say that the original recording on the FSM set sounds very good, as good as it can for so old materials I suppose but I always wished for a re-recording to hear the score in all its  splendor in crisp modern sound. I have to take time to listen to this new one still but for me it was a no brainer to get this one as I was a massive fan of the previous Tadlow Rózsa re-recordings and I would say they do the composer justice with their interpretations from the Private Life of Sherlock Holmes right down to the Thief of Bagdad, this new recording included.

Whether this is better than the original it is difficult to say. The playing is of high caliber and captures the composer's style admirably down to the recording technique but it is of course a new interpretation. If you can accept that and have no trouble with possible minute differences in dynamic and interpretation and  appreciate the modern sonic upgrade this is definitely for you. E.g. the choral performance style in Star of Bethlehem/Adoration of the Magi is clearly modern compared to the cooing 1950's and 1960's performance on the original recording and someone might be terribly miffed that it is not that faithful of a re-creation of the music but I for one prefer this new one to the old. Something like the famous Parade of the Charioteers is shall we say raw sounding on the FSM version thanks to the old source materials but here it is wonderfully vibrant and festive in its fanfaric glory.

Lets not forget that sometimes changes were made on the podium etc. for the OST recording, that are returned to their original as-written versions, for example the less rolling take on the Judea theme, the additional percussion in Marcia Romana, and the choir in The Sermon

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

E.g. the choral performance style in Star of Bethlehem/Adoration of the Magi is clearly modern compared to the cooing 1950's and 1960's performance on the original recording 

Ironically the new version showcases the (literally) cooing of the woodwinds that represent the animals in the stable.

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Either way, we are being spoiled for choice. I don't there is any other score better covered than this one.

Karol

Pun intended? (Covered) ;)

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

Tadlow decided to press additional 500 copies of The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

Karol - who bought himself a copy

I already owned this disc but it was very sporting of Fitzpatrick to order a limited batch of this great score so that more fans can enjoy it. A wonderful recording.