The Official Tadlow Thread

Ollie

• 5 months later...

The samples don't make me too excited - it's naturally well performed and recorded, but when compared to the original recording, it's missing a whole lot of oomph, scale and grit that gave it its character and likeability.

• 6 months later...

So, Taras Bulba... the back cover marks the majority of the cues as previously unrecorded/includes previously unrecorded music, while obviously most of them are in the film (per the booklet, not planning to see it). Is this a legal technicality referring to the fact that they could only work from the faded composer sketches, rerecorded OST and the reduced orchestra suite, so technically these are all-new never-before-recorded arrangements? How come the actual unrecorded song (Fox and the Hen, "This is the song's premiere recording") isn't marked as such then?

Am I the only guy waiting for the KING OF KINGS Rerecording? Its expected to be announced around Easter holidays but because of the pandemic it just might get even more delayed. 

I too am a backer, but with everything going on and a ton of new music I still haven't listened to, I'm happy to wait for this.

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm a Kickstarter backer (basic level, just the CD), so I've been waiting for it for a while. But James Fitzpatrick's health comes first, and I'm not in too much of a hurry.

James recently updated that its coming out very soon. 

• 3 years later...

Quick question, sorry for the potential excitement caused by the thread bump: I'm looking at getting El Cid and there's a 3CD Tadlow (TADLOW005) and a 2CD Silva version (SILCD1299) with different art and of course missing content from the latter, but the actual score seems to be the same. Never seen this before with any other release, what's the deal? Any actual difference or just the same master issued differently between two labels? Did one sell out and the other is a reissue? Both are in stock at intermezzo but the 2CD Silva is much more expensive.

https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/1579/El+Cid

El_cid_Tadlow005.jpg

Tadlow Music TADLOW005  
Format: CD 
Release Date: 1-Sep-2008 
UPN: 8-2791-20800-6-3 

The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus, conducted by Nic Raine.
3 Disc set with the complete 140 minute score plus bonus tracks and 5 videos from the recording sessions
Including an 28 page full colour booklet.

Also contains music from: Double Indemnity

El_Cid_SILCD1299.jpg

Silva Screen SILCD1299  
Format: CD 
Release Date: 2009 
UPN: 7-3857-21299-2-7 

2CD release of the Tadlow album. The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Nic Raine.

TL;DR: The 2CD Silva is a reissue of the Tadlow without the bonus disc. Get the Tadlow.

(The Tadlow is labelled "Special Limited Collectors Edition", but it doesn't seem to have been very limited. Even when I picked it up in a Tadlow sale years ago it had been around for a long time and was still readily available through their own web shop)

Now that it's brought up, I've long had my eyes on that EL CID set from Tadlow, but was always worried that I couldn't playlist it to the original, rerecorded album. Anyone know if that's possible?

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Anyone know if that's possible?

Yes and no.

If you wanted a 1:1 you would have to do some editing.

I have the 3 CD set. Disk 3 is just about 30 minutes long and has some nice alternates. Still a lot of repetition over the whole 3-disk length. But the Double Indemnity suite is great, for me the best part of disk 3. I am happy with the set.

Apparently (see link above), there's also a CD DATA section with recording session videos and an interview, but I don't think I was even aware of that until now.

26 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Apparently (see link above), there's also a CD DATA section with recording session videos and an interview, but I don't think I was even aware of that until now.

Right. Me neither.