Horn or Trombone?

Muad'Dib

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these two should I choose?

• French Horn
    • Trombone

Hi, everyone.

You probably don't know this but I have been playing Piano and Trumpet for some time now and now I'd like to try a new instrument. As I love brasses I think it's quite logical that I can't decide between these two... So, could anybody suggest me which should I choose?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Trombone all the way! In addition to being my personal preference of the two (I play trombone), trombone is a really helpful instrument. It trains your ear like nothing else could, since you are basically playing a giant tuning slide. Also, I think a trombone may be better if you're coming off a trumpet...I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the ambature of a trumpet/trombone and a horn is radically different.

And for those who think horn is more beautiful than trombone...take a listen to

The horn in my experience: the horn players at the University of Massachusetts are almost uniformly awful. There are plenty of them, and the horn professor seems wonderful. It leads me to believe that the horn is just a very difficult instrument to play.

Yeah, trombone does seem easier to master than horn, in terms of getting that really wonderful tone that makes the instrument such a strong contender for mankind's greatest invention. ;)

Horn is considered to be the most difficult brass instrument, perhaps the most difficult wind instrument even, to master.

It all really has to do with the overtone series and the range that the instrument sits in. It causes the pitches to fall very "close together" so that even the slightest changes in air stream or embouchure have GREAT effect on the pitch that is produced. You can play practically any pitch with any fingering/hand combo, and the standard fingerings for pitches above the staff are actually the same as each other, which very often causes inaccuracy in those pitches (F is open, G is open, A is open, Bb works on open, B natural works on open, C works on open, etc.)

Hand position in the bell greatly affects your tuning.

The instrument is notoriously inaccurate - an old saying is that "man blows into the horn, but only god knows what will come out," this is the god's honest truth!

Horn is a beautiful instrument when played well, and sounds like a dying elephant when played badly. If you were to undertake learning the instrument it would require EXTREME dedication.

Also, you're a trumpet player. Not to be biased, but as a music education rule and as a horn player myself, it is generally advised that trumpets don't switch to horn. The embouchure from trumpet doesn't transfer well at all and affects your tone quality in a very negative way. Instead of producing the warm, velvety tone expected from the horn trumpet converts generally produce a brassy sound that is much too bright and harsh. It takes a lot of work to knock that type of tone out of the trumpet player and make them sound like a horn player (likewise horn players make terrible trumpet players, we try to make it sound like the horn!). Now the advantage that you will have if you try horn is that your high range on it will be very strong. Your low range will suffer for it though, the instrument reaches down into usually one ledger line below the bass clef, not really standard playing range, but horn ensemble and quartet music as well as solo rep will certainly reach down there on occasion.

My vote would be for you to take on trombone, I'm not calling trombone easy, but it is a much better match for a trumpet player to switch to. And I'll justify that if I need to. :)

Euphonium!

That's my choice. More mature than a french horn, but less harsh than a trombone.

Underrated instrument really.

Euphonium is just a sax horn. Unless you wanted to play in a military band, brass band, or wind ensemble there's no reason to play the instrument.

If you want to play some serious orchestra repertoire it's wise to avoid - (that being said, trumpet players very often switch to euphonium/baritone).

Euphonium!

That's my choice. More mature than a french horn, but less harsh than a trombone.

No offense to euphonium players, but I'm not much of a fan. It's got its uses, but there's a good reason it's not a standard part of the orchestra - it's simply not needed. I don't hear anything in its tone that makes it "more mature" than a horn...just sounds like a tuba with a higher range to me. Bands use 'em, but they use saxophones in a non-jazzy context, too, so there's precedent for bizarre instrumentation choices. ;) For the most part, I only enjoy its contributions when it's intentionally used to create a "different" brass tone (e.g. some statements of the carnivores' theme in Jurassic Park).

To be fair, saxophones were developed as a bridge between woodwinds and brass in wind bands, jazz popularized them. But yeah...euphonium/baritone is kinda useless if you're into orchestral playing and that sorta stuff.

To be fair, saxophones were developed as a bridge between woodwinds and brass in wind bands, jazz popularized them.

Still, they rarely work for me outside of jazz. The tone is just too harsh and...well, jazzy.

Oh, I used to agree 100%.

Then I played for the Cyberbird Concerto and it changed my view forever.

Mvt 2

It's an amazing piece of music, and the second movement is one of the most beautiful works I've ever heard and had the privilege of playing.

The other movements can be found through that member.

I love the sound of a euphonium, actually more than I like a horn sound. Actually I don't know. It's hard to pick between brass instruments, because they all sound awesome.

Trombone is definitely me favorite to play, behind horn. It feels great on the lips after playing on a such a small mouthpiece, I get a kickass range out of it too. Trumpet I can get a nice jazz sort of tone out of, but my range sucks, I can only comfortably reach a G above the staff. I had to play 3rd trumpet for the musical Sweet Charity last year and it was a real struggle.

There are many, many excellent trombone players, but Frnech Horn (and I make no apology for calling it such) seems to be a bit of a dying art.....become an excellent French Horn player - especially one who works well in a section - and you'll be gold-dust....

(Joey - check out HL Clarke's study book for trumpet - it will extend your range by about an octave in a couple of months - maybe a month if you work hard - great book!)

The French Horn is one of the most difficult instruments in the orchestra to play, but also one of the most rewarding. If you're up for a challenge, go with that. ;)

The Trombone is much easier to learn, and is more versatile (i.e. jazz ensembles and numerous mutes), but not as beautiful as the Horn.

For mouthpiece size you would prob be better trying horn has you play trumpet,horn has small mouthpiece!but i play trombone or rather try playing,so i`d say trombone,you`ve more versions !alto ,tenor,bass,and contra bass!,but both intruments are superb can`t go wrong with either really,they are both hard to play,trombone is better learning in bass clef but can be learn`t in treble an tenor clef,so that might be easier for you,or thou you state that you play piano an as you know thats both.Hope this helps.

I`d agree that horn is prob harder to play but,be under no illusion trombone not easy,people seem to think its all about slide glissandos ,but they are hard to master properly partic with the music,but they do sound great thou!also trombone is very easy to get flat or sharp on,you really have to to judge by ear more like a violin.low notes are easier to get than high but thats same on most spose.But natual abillity does make some difference,but thats same on most instuments.I prefer sound of trombones more even more lower notes,and love the sometimes harsher more metallic sound they make,partic bass and contra bass,love to have a bash on one of those.

(Joey - check out HL Clarke's study book for trumpet - it will extend your range by about an octave in a couple of months - maybe a month if you work hard - great book!)

I'll give it a look, thanks for the tip!

I can't decide yet... They both sound fantastic and challenging to play, which is a good thing because I like to play instruments that are challenging. So I guess I'll go down to the music store and try out which one I'm more comfortable with... Thanks everyone, you've been all very helpful!

But feel free to keep discussing! This thread got really interesting :)

When played well, French horn is my favorite sound in the orchestra. If played badly, it is an atrocity. It is much easier to make a good sound on the trombone, but just as difficult to master.

The "euphonium" "sounds good." And I think that's an understatement. It's too bad it's not used more often. It's so mellow and warm - it's very easy to convey emotion through euphonium.

Euphonium!

If by 'mature' you mean fat, then I agree. ;)

I have to say though, the euphonium is much less versatile than the horn, in terms of dynamic range and dexterity.

Depends entriely on the player - especially the dexterity! Nothing wrong with Euphonium at all.....ask Lyndon Baglin, Steve Mead or Rob Childs for a demonstration ;)