• Announcements

• Jay

PLEASE DONATE to JWFAN if you can!   08/16/16

Hello JWFan members,   The team behind JWFan needs your help!   We need annual donations to keep our community running   This is for the domain name, IPBoard license, and server space.   We hope you can help use with a donation of any size.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage. Thank you!   The Administration team
TownerFan

John Williams and the Boston Pops - "Hooray For Hollywood" - May 25-28, 2011

177 posts in this topic

I was at the May 15th show!! :o

Did anyone record the broadcast??

I do have it :o) ... I will try to upload it soon as it'll be possible ;)

Thanks!!!

---

I'm going to tonight's show!!!! John Williams on Star Wars' 34th birthday, can't get more epic than that! :D

I'm also going tomorrow night. My girlfriend and I will be eating dinner at that noodle place nearby for dinner before the show, then waiting outside to hopefully get JW's autograph after the show

This should explain it:

symphony.jpg

There'll be a whole crowd there

yep. You literally just wait outside after exiting. Last year I stood there with my then-GF for 45 minutes in the rain with a group of ~20-30 other people

I dunno about that. It's where the arrow points in the pic I posted. You won't miss the crowd of people standing there

Basically it's not on the side of the building with Betty's Wok and Uno's.... and its not on the side with the main entrance that everyone will be exiting at.... its on the OTHER side. Not much going on over there, but you'll see a security guard by an exit and a group of people waiting.

Also - if you guys want to PM me your cell #s, I can text/call you at the show, we can meet up for a drink if you want, etc.

Heh, sounds like you guys are planning some triangulated ambush for the Maestro, maps and all. :lol:

Haha, it's really not as complicated as Trent and ET think it might be :)

I wish you good luck and I really hope you get to meet Williams and get his autograph! :)

Man I would love to hear the Oboe concerto, not to mention the rest of the programme.

Well in '08, he got right alongside me while signing and taking photos and then security rushed him into his car.

I kinda want the Blue Box signed. But I'm wondering if silver sharpie will show up on it. If I fail tonight, I'll try Saturday.

Well, he did come out about 45 minutes after the concert ended. Sadly, there were several people who didn't even go to the concert (wearing old t-shirts and ratty pants) with literally dozens of CD's bombarding Williams, who are then probably going to just sell them on eBay. He did sign many of them, and the security told them to leave, but they just went to a place Williams hadn't been yet... when he got there, he saw them again, got upset, and got into the BSO1 car and left. So no picture with him this year. Just the attached photo while he was signing autographs.

post-1271-0-82451000-1306385066_thumb.jp

Yeah, that was really unfortunate. They didn't seem to be concert-goers. I was actually embarrassed. People were assaulting me from behind and I realized it was the same guys who'd been on the other side of the tape getting Star Wars junk and photos of Williams signed. I thought he wasn't going to sign for me but one of the security guards told him I'd been waiting.

supes.jpg

The third movement of the oboe concerto sounded like the Meet the Press theme.

It was a GREAT TIME!!! Setlist was the same as in the program (I think it was posted earlier in the thread), except during the "Villains" part, he replaced one cue with the "Jaws" theme. Encores were:

"Luke and Leia", which is one of my favorites and was INCREDIBLE to hear live properly (Star Wars in Concert was hardly adequate, but still fun), and I almost cried. Such a beautiful theme.

"Superman Theme", same as usual.

"Stars and Stripes Forever", also the same as usual but still great fun, American flag and all. No dropping balloons this year though.

Afterwards by the stage door was a pleasure as always. Williams seemed to be in GREAT spirits, very happy and talkable. I just got home 25 minutes ago or so, and it's 2:30 AM, so I'll post a much more details recap in the next couple days. However, I leave you with this:

100_0721.jpg

:D

Well, he did come out about 45 minutes after the concert ended. Sadly, there were several people who didn't even go to the concert (wearing old t-shirts and ratty pants) with literally dozens of CD's bombarding Williams, who are then probably going to just sell them on eBay. He did sign many of them, and the security told them to leave, but they just went to a place Williams hadn't been yet... when he got there, he saw them again, got upset, and got into the BSO1 car and left. So no picture with him this year. Just the attached photo while he was signing autographs.

Greetings. I can use the picture on my blog?.

Andres Valverde

(John Williams Composer Blog)

JWC BLOG

I was slightly disappointed they replaced Witches of Eastwick with Jaws.

Night Journeys was awesome. That was an alternate choir-less version. Can't wait to hear it again.

Luke and Leia was a shortened version. I noticed right away parts were missing. Never heard it like that before.

Luke and Leia was a shortened version. I noticed right away parts were missing. Never heard it like that before.

I guess it's the same shortened version that appears also in Star Wars In Concert suite. It has some really abrupt edit points. I don't know why Williams removed bars here and there.

Williams is getting 'old man's skin', it seems. Very natural, but also a sad reminder that no one is immune to ageing.

Found this one on youtube:

But what did you mean by "shortend version"? I know the concert version of Luke and Leia but not the shortend version. Any clips to compare?

It appears Williams removed several bars from the usual concert version as heard on the ROTJ OST album and on several Boston Pops compilations. I heard it for the first time during the Star Wars in Concert.

So . . . any recordings?

Oboe concerto sounds great from reviews. Apparantly it's just scored for oboe and strings.

I'm looking forward to hearing it tonight :)

Oh wow I woud LOVE to hear that live!!

Yeah, that was really unfortunate. They didn't seem to be concert-goers. I was actually embarrassed. People were assaulting me from behind and I realized it was the same guys who'd been on the other side of the tape getting Star Wars junk and photos of Williams signed. I thought he wasn't going to sign for me but one of the security guards told him I'd been waiting.

supes.jpg

The third movement of the oboe concerto sounded like the Meet the Press theme.

Can you elaborate on the oboe concerto at all? How did it compare with his other concerti? More or less accessible and tonal? How long was it approximately?

Lehman's review is so glowing and descriptive I am now positively anxious to hear the Oboe Concerto. Looks like it was a terrific night all around. :)

that's nice, but what we really want to hear is the Oboe concerto

that's nice, but what we really want to hear is the Oboe concerto

Me too. Oboe concert not be recorded. Saturday passed but with a change of program. It removes the oboe concerto. Instead, memories of a geisha.

Yeah... those hoodlums with stacks of LPs were certainly embarrassing. I hope they don't show up again tonight and ruin the other fans' chances. If I were John I would have been tempted to sign something other than my name...

I did manage to get a word in and say that I was looking forward to "War Horse" and "Tintin", to which Williams replied "Oh.. War Horse is great."

As for the playing, I would say "1941" was probably the highlight of the evening. Comes across so much better live than on a recording... unfortunately the Finale from "Far and Away" was the opposite... both times I heard it they've been unable to match the energy and epic-ness of the OST at the end of the piece. The trumpets also screwed up big-time during the Spielberg/Lucas tribute when they forgot the all-important B-flat note when transitioning between "Jaws" and "Star Wars - Main Title".

Personally I thought the Oboe Concerto had a few similarities to Born on the 4th/JFK (1st movement), Geisha (2nd movement), and Adventures of Mutt (3rd movement). If I had recorded it I maybe could have provided some more in depth analysis but that's all I remember.