Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto -> Han Solo and the Princess

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it's obvious Conti was forced to follow the temp track for The Right Stuff more, I hear how Williams may have been influenced.

Supposedly, but has that ever been proven?

I believe Conti has even admitted to being forced to follow a temp track and was just as shocked when he won the Oscar.

take some random piece of classical music that vaguely reminds you of a Williams theme, and that's enough to start a "Williams is a hack" theread

There's a little motif in Tchaikovsky's The Swan Lake that reminds me of the Imperial March. It's just a brief moment, though...

(At 4:30, its a recurring motif during all of it)

I'm chalking this one up to the old there-are-only-so-many-combinations-of-notes and Williams-has-absorbed-a-lot-of-music-over-the-years-and-some-minor-influences-will-inevitably-manifest-occasionally arguments. It's not a direct lift by any stretch of the imagination. The orchestration and harmonic structure aren't even remotely similar; the only parallels are in the contour and rhythm of the melody.

And yes, "The Right Stuff" is very similar.

take some random piece of classical music that vaguely reminds you of a Williams theme, and that's enough to start a "Williams is a hack" theread

It's time to face the obvious. The maestro is not receiving a direct stream of ideas from God himself. ;)

Karol

There's a little motif in Tchaikovsky's The Swan Lake that reminds me of the Imperial March. It's just a brief moment, though...

(At 4:30, its a recurring motif during all of it)

Yes, was probably temp tracked.

Look this is more stunning:

It seems glaringly obvious Williams was influenced by this, see 7:25:

Interesting, that's a striking similarity. And another bit in ESB, the Bespin approach, lifts its theme from Sibelius' violin concerto. :)

I only heard a vague momentary sort-of similarity, while listening intently for it.

ESB love theme was inspired by Susan and Doug from Towering Inferno, or at least whatever part of Williams' brain composed that.

Does it sound like the ESB love theme? For a brief second, yes. Do I think it influenced Williams to write that, consciously or sub-consciously? No, not even a little.

I have no clue if this influenced Williams or not (or National Treasure 2)...but here's an interesting similarity between Bernstein's "Make Our Garden Grow" and "Luke and Leia." (Skip to 0:16).

"Han Solo and the Princess" (as almost any of Williams' love themes) is written unabashedly in the style of late 19th century Romantic music, so it's natural it could remind of Tchaikovsky, or other Romantic composers.

If you want to hear a more direct influence to Williams' love themes, check out the 2nd movement of Thcaikovsky's Symphony No.5 (Andante cantabile), which opens with a very Williams-esque horn solo and develops not unlike "Princess Leia's Theme":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsZgx7zEFRI

While it's obvious Conti was forced to follow the temp track for The Right Stuff more, I hear how Williams may have been influenced.

Supposedly, but has that ever been proven?

I believe Conti has even admitted to being forced to follow a temp track and was just as shocked when he won the Oscar.

I was just as shocked when Conti did a little lift from "Star Wars" for "Rocky II" !!!!!

Look it up!