Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

Apologies in advance for bumping this thread. I just happened to find through this thread (thank you, Jay):

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25024

I hope the others don't mind, but I think I'm going to be taking over the requests for this thread for the foreseeable future. I've been having a good run so far with my prototype miniature render project and the constructive feedback I've been getting with it. Plus, it'll be an excellent set of exercises in increasing my efficiency to create realistic mockups. The only catch is that I'm going to need the either the handwritten or "engraved" score for the cue in question (it'll make my producing these digitally-rendered mockups much faster), so if anyone has the scores (I'm looking at you, Sharky), send them my way through a PM.

So... based on the list from the beginning, are there any requests at this current time?

Would you be willing to do some Superman cues?

Would you be willing to do some Superman cues?

Which cues? And do you by chance have the scores for those cues? It'll make my work go a lot faster.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask (I decided to try here first before starting a thread), but how do those of you working on mockups handle aleatoric sections? In the past when working on demos, I've manually entered "possiblities" as hidden notes (I use Sibelius), but that really gets to be a pain for larger works, especially considering I don't have a MIDI keyboard.

Do you mean how would one handle notating it in notation software, or actually achieving the effect in a DAW?

The latter. I've got a notation method that works pretty well (a modified version of Corigliano's box notation).

Yeah. Exactly as you said. When emulating aleatorism, I just try and physically play it, especially with percussion, piano or woodwind parts, but it's a lot harder to do with strings because they all come in section patches. And I can't stand using those aleatoric VST patches...just takes away all the fun from writing aleatory.

Thanks.

But knowing you, there's always something about my mockups that need improvement. This isn't an insult; I wholly expect it.

So where it could be better?

The flute got like all of two notes to play.

But yes, I can bring out the horns... I just don't want their presence to be too overpowering in that measure. I want to maintain that mellow sound.

So no one who does mockups has the Omni Publishing of Batman? Would love to have a couple of cues for that...

I have the Omni Publishing score for Batman. What cues did you have in mind?

So no one who does mockups has the Omni Publishing of Batman? Would love to have a couple of cues for that...

I have the Omni Publishing score for Batman. What cues did you have in mind?

These cues if possible...

5m4 Morning After

6m1 Board Meeting

9m2 Vicki Hioes(?)

11m1a ...Or Their Sons

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is technically not the title of the thread, but anybody know any good free strings samples? Preferably in sf2 format, for Synthfont. I have a lot of strings samples but none leave me satisfied. I end up dividing the midi file into three or four string sections and assinging violin, cello and bass to them, but there's gotta be something that has a good range both for legato and stacatto mode. Anybody know?

As always, thanks in advance fellas.

I know this is technically not the title of the thread, but anybody know any good free strings samples? Preferably in sf2 format, for Synthfont.

Check PMs

• 1 month later...

I've mentioned my cousin a few times on here. He's 9 years younger than me and is almost entirely self-taught musically, but I'm consistently astonished by what he shares with me. Today he sent me a couple of what he called "layers of uncoordinated improvisation" - the point wasn't the music he said, but he wanted to know how convincingly "old" the recording quality was, as in, mono/some funky EQ'ing/close non-decca tree miking in a small space....

Well, yeah, that all sounds good, I think it's spot on in that aim. But I'll be damned if what he wrote off as meaningless noise just to test virtual production methods isn't shockingly good. It's positively Northian. This is off the top of his head. What the hell is he coming up with when actually thinking about what he's doing?

http://picosong.com/SFWv/

http://picosong.com/SFWU/

To hell with my own Hollywood ambitions haha. I've gotta find someone to put him in touch with who'll get him where he deserves to be.

I've mentioned my cousin a few times on here. He's 9 years younger than me and is almost entirely self-taught musically, but I'm consistently astonished by what he shares with me. Today he sent me a couple of what he called "layers of uncoordinated improvisation" - the point wasn't the music he said, but he wanted to know how convincingly "old" the recording quality was, as in, mono/some funky EQ'ing/close non-decca tree miking in a small space....

Well, yeah, that all sounds good, I think it's spot on in that aim. But I'll be damned if what he wrote off as meaningless noise just to test virtual production methods isn't shockingly good. It's positively Northian. This is off the top of his head. What the hell is he coming up with when actually thinking about what he's doing?

To hell with my own Hollywood ambitions haha. I've gotta find someone to put him in touch with who'll get him where he deserves to be.

The Force is strong with this one. Some nice and original ideas and I do hear the North. Is he going to use the $99 orchestra for this?

Been messing around a bit with a brief Shore passage, thought I'd share it. Only have the string/choral/horns/contrabassoon parts done so far, but I'm pleased already.

http://picosong.com/uzyT/

One of my favourite film music passages. Nicely done! Strings lean more to the synthy side in the beginning but it all shapes up wonderfully by the end.

Very promising indeed! Definitely hear the North influence.

Been messing around a bit with a brief Shore passage, thought I'd share it. Only have the string/choral/horns/contrabassoon parts done so far, but I'm pleased already.

http://picosong.com/uzyT/

One of my favourite film music passages. Nicely done! Strings lean more to the synthy side in the beginning but it all shapes up wonderfully by the end.

It's a magical bit of music isn't it? There's something really interesting harmonically about the way that the harp/celesta combines with the low fifths in the strings and that rising line towards the end, very craftily orchestrated.

Is he going to use the $99 orchestra for this?

I think that was a fleeting idea. Not worth it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Over the last week I mocked up the opening sequence of TOD. I did this mainly because I read TGP's advice that when you make an orchestral mockup, you should play the parts in in real time. Since I've never done so before, I decided to try it out with an "interesting" piece of music.

You can listen to it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18637418/indytod.flac

I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, although since I've been doing virtually nothing but replaying portions over and over again over the past week my opinion can hardly be called objective... Are there any obvious improvements I can make to the overall mix? Any feedback at all would be much appreciated! :)

• 2 weeks later...

As a continuation of the TOD theme I made an arrangement of "Mine Car Chase" for piano four hands:

You can find sheet music in the information section.

Enjoy!

Wow, wow, wow, these two TODs pieces are amazing! Do you have any more? I've been a long time super fan of the TOD score, I can appreciate any queue from it. Something about it has made it one of my all time favorites for many many years now. This Mine Car Chase arrangement is great. A couple questions:

1. Did you actually play this in real time? do you have a video? It sounds really hard to play, and would love to see someone (actually two people) play it!

2. How did you arrange it? did you have the sheet music, or do it by ear? The notes seem spot on, and I've listened to this probably thousands of times.

Great job! More TOD please!

Ooh, nice. This thread is alive again.

Just so everyone here knows, I have completed the missing cues from JP. It's all on this thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25012

And now (thanks to a donor who shall remain annonymous) I am ready to move on the missing/unused cues from TLW:JP.

Rialto Ripples, anyone? ^_^

On 16/12/2015 at 3:13 AM, russds said:
On 15/12/2015 at 10:40 PM, loert423 said:

As a continuation of the TOD theme I made an arrangement of "Mine Car Chase" for piano four hands:

Enjoy!

Wow, wow, wow, these two TODs pieces are amazing! Do you have any more? I've been a long time super fan of the TOD score, I can appreciate any queue from it. Something about it has made it one of my all time favorites for many many years now. This Mine Car Chase arrangement is great. A couple questions:

1. Did you actually play this in real time? do you have a video? It sounds really hard to play, and would love to see someone (actually two people) play it!

2. How did you arrange it? did you have the sheet music, or do it by ear? The notes seem spot on, and I've listened to this probably thousands of times.

Thank you! :) Regarding your questions:

1. No, I don't have anyone else to play this with at the moment. Although in some sections, where you have tremolos and cluster chords, I played those in myself to give the piece a more human tone. Other than that it's all MIDI generated from Finale. It is certainly playable, though, and I would love to see it performed as well!

2. I had the original sheet music to help. I did change a few things around to make it more pianistic (e.g. when there was a cymbal crash, I sometimes added a little flourish in Piano I). And I also composed an alternate ending to make the finish more "final".

More TOD, eh? Well, it is one of my favourite JW score so I relish the opportunity, if I'm honest! What I particularly love about it is the combination of that big, orchestral sound with tribal and Oriental elements (not to mention I'm a sucker for fast, orchestral action music). TOD is one of those soundtracks which, while I'm listening to it, I actually get frightened sometimes by just how good it is!

Anyway, if I have time I think I might arrange the trek music. Stay tuned. ;)

Enjoy!

The Temple of Doom score is one of my favourites :) You have done a incredible job! Hopefully one day when I'm a bit older I will take up piano and be able to replicate these amazing scores :)

Enjoy!

Thank you! :) Regarding your questions:

1. No, I don't have anyone else to play this with at the moment. Although in some sections, where you have tremolos and cluster chords, I played those in myself to give the piece a more human tone. Other than that it's all MIDI generated from Finale. It is certainly playable, though, and I would love to see it performed as well!

2. I had the original sheet music to help. I did change a few things around to make it more pianistic (e.g. when there was a cymbal crash, I sometimes added a little flourish in Piano I). And I also composed an alternate ending to make the finish more "final".

More TOD, eh? Well, it is my favourite JW score so I relish the opportunity, if I'm honest! I just love the combination of that big, orchestral sound with those tribal elements (not to mention I'm a sucker for fast, orchestral action music). TOD is one of those soundtracks which, while I'm listening to it, I actually get frightened sometimes by just how good it is!

Anyway, I might arrange the trek music at some point. ;)

Interesting. Yeah, it would be awesome to see two professional players play it. I could totally see two real pros going at it, especially when it really gets going (like 0:39). I really like what you did at 2:08, it almost sounds like someone is banging the keys to give it a drum like rhythm. The care you put into to translating it to sound like a piano piece (using the pedal at certain places, adding soft and loud parts, like 2:33 - 2:53, etc) really make it sound like a real piano piece. I really like your ending too! Listening to it as an authentic sounding piano piece really emphases the great work and composition that it is. Something that always bugged me about the movie/score right here was the amount of work put into this composition and playing it as an orchestra, and yet, you can barely hear it during the movie!! :) and listening to it like this emphasis that even more.

Again, great job! How long did it take?

One 'section' I always really wanted to hear more of was this. I just love how the main Slave March melody plays, but then the twinkling upper strings and WWs buzz around in the upper register, and the low end has a nice down and upbeat rhythm thing going on. I wonder if you had ever considered looking at that section. In my younger years (when I could still play piano) I could never figure out what the strings and WWs in the upper register were playing right there exactly, and always wanted to figure out so I could play it and emphasis it more. :)

OMG, that's one of my favourite sections as well! You know, what really works in there is the fact that the first time round, the 'twinkling' is due to the WW alone (in particular the flutes + clarinets) and the violins double the trumpets with the melody, but the second time round the violins actually leave the melody and join the 'twinkling' in the WW. Therefore you get a sort of crescendo in the upper register, which combined with the "shift up" of the main march melody in the brass makes that moment really quite exciting!

Give me a moment and I'll notate the runs for you. :D

EDIT: Here it is:

nqNm8tj.png?1

The second time round the last bar is dropped and everybody comes in on the last few notes of the march.

Gosh, I feel like arranging the entire end credits now...

EDIT2: Whoops, 3rd bar 2nd time round (when the strings play) is a bit different, let me fix it...

EDIT3: Here we go:

38HsC3Q.png

Man, this is so awesome. I wish though I could listen to it somehow, even just this single line, midi piano. Is there somewhere online I can plug this in somehow and listen to it? Stranger, you should know, this is satisfying a 30-ish year old itch I've had. :)

"The second time round the last bar is dropped and everybody comes in on the last few notes of the march."

This has long since been one of my most satisfying musical feelings. One reason I love that "twinkling" so much, is just how enormously satisfying it is when all the instruments unite for those resolve chords. awww, sweet bliss. Which actually is even more emphasized the way the brass joins in on the upper octave here AND the way that 'twinkle' stops just enough for the main melody to hit hits second measure downbeat here. Ugh, don't get me started...:)