Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

Hahahaha...I think my only moment of true ingenuity was when I figured out a way to sorta fake a stopped horn sound, since I don't yet have a patch that can do that. Wouldn't sound that convincing on its own, but it's close enough for the beginning of this mockup, I think.

Can I just tell you how awesome EWQL's Bass Clarinet sounds??? I love it!

Yes the staccato was the one I was using... it just sounds so fun to me! Reminds me of that unused Rabbit cue from TTT

That's a request you don't hear too often around these parts! If size is the concern, it's a pretty small file...less than 30 seconds long and compressed to FLAC....

That's a request you don't hear too often around these parts! If size is the concern, it's a pretty small file...less than 30 seconds long and compressed to FLAC....

I just can't be arsed to convert it. I don't have any players that can recognise lossless formats.

I just can't be arsed to convert it. I don't have any players that can recognise lossless formats.

But that's the beauty of FLAC or other lossless formats - no conversion necessary! You just play them as they are. I personally use winamp along with the official flac plugin(downloading that also gives you the official flac frontend which I use to convert flacs to wav as wella as make flacs).

But that's just one player; Others like VLC player or Media Monkey, etc. are popular too

I know its annoying that iTunes doesn't play them, but hey - that's apple for ya!

Foobar, VLC, Media Player Classic, Winamp... I think the only thing that WON'T play FLAC is iTunes, and since that's a bloated piece of crap, I don't worry about it that much.

yea, I only use iTunes to manage podcasts and control what I put on my iPhone; I do all my actual listening when I'm at my computer in WinAmp

I initially resisted using FLAC because I hadn't heard much about it and I was exclusively using iTunes, which of course doesn't support it. But it really is a useful way to share audio, Prometheus, since there's no reduction in quality but the file size is a lot smaller than, say, WAV files. My main listening library is still on iTunes, but for FLAC, I use foobar2000, which is super lightweight and easy to use and stable and everything. I'd recommend it if you just need a simple, free, easy tool for using FLAC. Otherwise, I may get a chance to upload the original WAV in a little while.

Hahahaha...I think my only moment of true ingenuity was when I figured out a way to sorta fake a stopped horn sound, since I don't yet have a patch that can do that. Wouldn't sound that convincing on its own, but it's close enough for the beginning of this mockup, I think.

Stopped horn is the most annoying thing in the world to play... :angry:

I only use FLAC to have an archived copy of everything on a hard drive outside the RAID array. Most of it is also backed up on an external drive, but I don't keep that connected all the time so it's not always up to date.

Even at my computer, I mostly just listen to the MP3 collection (via WinAmp) out of convenience, and those are usually 320 for putting onto the iPod. If I want to burn an MP3 disc, fo then I compress the FLAC down to 128 to get about 12 CDs' worth onto a single data disc.

But aren't 320 and FLAC mostly interchangeable? Yea, probably, so my redundancy is pointless. Oh well, I haven't loaded my iPod past 50% yet so I'm not worried. And between FLAC Frontend, Format Factory, freearc, and foobar2000, there is no shortage of converters available.

Data, I haven't been able to get around to listening to your mock-ups yet (although I'm sure they're great), but just wanted to share a suggestion for this. I'm not familiar with your sample library, but with my setup (Vienna Symphonic Library, MOTU's "Symphonic Instruments," and a smattering of ones from the Garritan set), I've had pretty decent luck by combining a muted trombone patch with a standard F Horn patch at only 33% volume. The combination gives it the stopped horn "bite," but the F Horn patch helps it maintain a little of the F Horn character.

Data, I haven't been able to get around to listening to your mock-ups yet (although I'm sure they're great), but just wanted to share a suggestion for this. I'm not familiar with your sample library, but with my setup (Vienna Symphonic Library, MOTU's "Symphonic Instruments," and a smattering of ones from the Garritan set), I've had pretty decent luck by combining a muted trombone patch with a standard F Horn patch at only 33% volume. The combination gives it the stopped horn "bite," but the F Horn patch helps it maintain a little of the F Horn character.

Thanks very much for the tip! That does sound like a very good approach, and I'll bet with some EQing, the results could be pretty convincing. I'll have to give it a shot!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm trying WinAmp, but I'm having a few problems with it. For one it won't recognise track numbers from some imported folders, won't allow me to model my own EQ (I can only find presets), can only work on one track at a time (so no shift > select all, mass edits) and can't scroll back and forward between each contiguous track when editing its file info.

Damn, this is tough.

Sigh...here's the WAV...

http://www.multiupload.com/3WGG85E1VR

Get foobar2000, though! =P No need to import your whole library...you can just use it for FLAC-specific operations like I do. It'll only help in the long run, since most stuff that gets uploaded is in either FLAC or mp3, and it's nice to work from lossless originals when possible.

And now for something completely different! Here's my mockup of the beginning of "Willy in the Fryer" as it currently stands. I might do a little tweaking at some point, but I'll probably just move on to the ending for now. If you want to use this for editing purposes, you'll want the tense string tremolo chord heard in TD_PANKOTSECRETS_C_QUI to start right as the trumpets cut out and the suspended cymbal roll reaches its climax. (That chord does need to be lengthened, however - they only used the last part in that file.)

http://www.multiupload.com/USPE3GYQEP

Feedback always welcome!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm trying WinAmp, but I'm having a few problems with it. For one it won't recognise track numbers from some imported folders, won't allow me to model my own EQ (I can only find presets), can only work on one track at a time (so no shift > select all, mass edits) and can't scroll back and forward between each contiguous track when editing its file info.

Damn, this is tough.

There are >> and << buttons in the WinAmp tag editing window that does indeed bring you to the next or previous track

However - WinAmp is for playing! For tagging, the absolute very best program to use is mp3tag

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

It will change your life!

I'd like to try out making a mockup of the missing bits of I Am the Senate, but I don't know which pages to start from for the missing bits.

I have an awesome request to make, but I don't know if anyone who can do this will be interested. In the X-Files episode "Triangle", they tracked in "Hot Liquorice" by Dick Walter, but Mark Snow did some great synth overlays which made the piece practically his own.

Would anyone be up to replicating those overlays?

It sounds a bit different than your other ones....

and where does this go in context of the anniversary edition?

It sounds a bit different than your other ones....

Are you including the ones I've posted recently in that statement? Because I've been using totally different software lately, so they should be sounding a lot better.

and where does this go in context of the anniversary edition?

Between "Remains on the Beach" and "The Empty Raft." :)

Yep, that's a twenty second chord alright. Sounds great, DM!

Haha, pretty much. Doesn't surprise me that this was never released, if it was indeed recorded in the first place. Thanks!

Haha, pretty much. Doesn't surprise me that this was never released, if it was indeed recorded in the first place. Thanks!

Yeah, it's really got no place on any album presentation, unless whoever was compiling the release used it to bridge between two other cues. Or, I suppose, you could open or close another cue with it, if it fit well enough. But yeah, it's unreleasedness isn't a huge shock.

That said, your mockup certainly sounds realistic enough for the more anal retentive among us to include the cue in our edits. So yay!

Data I completely forgot that I was going to do a mock up of this one...oh well! Perhaps I should do one anyway and we could see who's chord is longer?? (ha!)

However - WinAmp is for playing! For tagging, the absolute very best program to use is mp3tag

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

It will change your life!

It certainly changed mine. For tagging files yourself, MP3Tag has no equals.

But if you had folders of unorganized songs, named only as Track 01 or Untitled or Unknown or just plain wrong, the only way to sort them is to use the TuneUp plugin with iTunes. (It says it also works with WMP, but I don't believe them.) Its only drawback is that it is not free.

Isn't that the same bitonal chord from "Sacre"? (well maybe transposed)

Isn't that the same bitonal chord from "Sacre"? (well maybe transposed)

Sort of, though half complete. From what is now, you could say it's an Eb7 b9, in first inversion. Also known as the 'Hendrix Chord.' It's kind of harmony that's heard through Le Sacre, and can be derived from the octatonic scale (E-F#-G-A-Bb-C-Db-Eb).

In no small coincidence, Williams uses it throughout JAWS too! :)

Hey, something that just occurred to me, and might be of use to other mocker-uppers...obviously, noise and hiss aren't really desirable in a real recording, but some low-level noise is inevitable. So it can actually help the realism of a mockup to add some of that noise back in, in a subtle but noticeable way, at least for quieter passages. I think there's at least one sample library (Symphobia 2, maybe?) that actually contains some stage noise like that, but that's not really necessary. You can just open up a recording with some "good" noise at the beginning or end and loop that noise quietly over your mockups. Kind of ironic to be intentionally decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio of a sound file, but it really does help with believability. I'm doing E.T.'s "The Rescue" right now as an exercise in improving the realism of my mockups, and I added some noise from AOTC (albeit EQ'd to reduce the high-end hiss), and it really helps sell the quiet beginning. When the music gets louder, it obviously becomes a lot less noticeable, but it still helps.

I think there's at least one sample library (Symphobia 2, maybe?) that actually contains some stage noise like that, but that's not really necessary.

As I understand it, you are using EWQLSO, and that one includes a "hall noise" instrument (under Percussions -> Metal).

I think there's at least one sample library (Symphobia 2, maybe?) that actually contains some stage noise like that, but that's not really necessary.

As I understand it, you are using EWQLSO, and that one includes a "hall noise" instrument (under Percussions -> Metal).

You mean Orchestral Percussion > F Various Metals? I'm not hearing it in there...just bell trees, mark trees, and triangles...anyway, I don't doubt that there are numerous sample libraries with this sort of noise in them, but I checked, and Symphobia 2 was indeed the one I was thinking of. :)

Are there different versions of EWQLSO out there?

Yes. There are four different sets, each with different instruments: Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Platinum Plus. Myself, I have Silver. At one time there was a very limited Free version too (contained about six instruments)

You mean Orchestral Percussion > F Various Metals? I'm not hearing it in there...just bell trees, mark trees, and triangles...anyway, I don't doubt that there are numerous sample libraries with this sort of noise in them, but I checked, and Symphobia 2 was indeed the one I was thinking of. :)

See here:

68509575.jpg

What ggctuk said. ;) If you go to Purchase / Upgrade on this page and select the first option, it'll show the differences. I'm using Gold, which has more instruments and articulations than Silver, but it lacks the additional mic positions and 24-bit samples in the Platinum versions. Kind of wishing I had Platinum now, because the close mic position would be better for using the same reverb I use on my other libraries. But the stage position samples sound pretty decent with little or no reverb, so whatever. :P

EDIT: Oh, I must be using an older version of EWQLSO, JanBing. That'd explain it.

What ggctuk said. ;) If you go to Purchase / Upgrade on this page and select the first option, it'll show the differences. I'm using Gold, which has more instruments and articulations than Silver, but it lacks the additional mic positions and 24-bit samples in the Platinum versions. Kind of wishing I had Platinum now, because the close mic position would be better for using the same reverb I use on my other libraries. But the stage position samples sound pretty decent with little or no reverb, so whatever. :P

EDIT: Oh, I must be using an older version of EWQLSO, JanBing. That'd explain it.

I don't know if it's possible to use the old EWQLSO version with the so called "Play"-interface... you can download it HERE, so might be worth a shot. Also it's possible to purchase the "Close Mic"-positions separately as an add-on right HERE (under "Purchase/Upgrade"), although you might have to upgrade to the newer EWQLSO Gold ("PLAY Edition") for them to work.

Yes, I knew about the Gold, Platinum, etc variations, I was asking about older/newer versions, as Datameister discovered :)

Ah, yeah, they upgraded to that PLAY thing at some point, and they've evidently added some more instruments. Seems to happen with a lot of sample libraries.

EDIT: By the way, here's a discussion about adding noise back into mockups for the sake of realism. They start talking about chair squeaks and coughs and farts and whatnot, which I don't really have any interest in, but adding a little bit of a noise floor really does help.

Meh, just for the fun of it, here's the first minute of that mockup of "The Rescue" from E.T. I'm actually really happy with how this is turning out...LASS seems to handle these staccato passages really well, which helps a lot. I think I'm gonna keep going with the louder music, which will probably be somewhat less effective because I'm not especially satisfied with the trumpet patches I have, but hopefully this'll help me learn ways to finagle them into sounding more like the real thing. I'm learning a lot from comparing to the real thing as I go - I've been mapping the tempo of the mockup so it matches up perfectly with the actual recording, so I can always unmute/solo it and hear the same passage as played by a real orchestra.

http://www.multiupload.com/C9HETZ2I01

Anyway, I don't blame y'all if you don't bother with this download, since it's something we obviously already have. But I'm pretty proud of it, so I decided to share. :D