Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

This is really amazing @Pando. Very very impressive. Would love to hear more about the libraries you use and what reverb/effects you have going there.

Me too! You did a really great job @Pando!

14 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

This is really amazing @Pando. Very very impressive. Would love to hear more about the libraries you use and what reverb/effects you have going there.

Thank you, I used Spitfire Orchestra Complete (which includes Harp and Percussion), and few other very minor elements (like Rhodes, Gamelan, 8dio choirs, and Deckard's Dream for the ARP part). I did not use much reverb at all since the hall is built into the samples, but I did use a small bit of Valhalla Vintageverb at the master stage to blend it together a bit more. No other effects.

19 minutes ago, Pando said:

Thank you, I used Spitfire Orchestra Complete (which includes Harp and Percussion), and few other very minor elements (like Rhodes, Gamelan, 8dio choirs, and Deckard's Dream for the ARP part). I did not use much reverb at all since the hall is built into the samples, but I did use a small bit of Valhalla Vintageverb at the master stage to blend it together a bit more. No other effects.

Thanks for the info! You're a very talented individual!

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, aj_vader said:

The Empire Strikes Back - 'This is no Cave' Mock Up [In Progress]

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BDX3MW7SHxmMacL0Nv6j74gOqJC4N5PP

Just wanted to see what you guys think. 

Thanks in advance. 

Sounds cool, great job! Which libraries/VSTs are you using?

On 10/29/2019 at 4:07 AM, Pando said:

Happy Spooky Season everyone. Here is my Map Room: Dawn mockup from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Enjoy! 

That sounds incredible, thank you for sharing.

Any possibility that you might consider mocking up an unreleased cue? I'm thinking of one in particular: "Smoking Telegram", the last cue in The X-Files Movie (Fight the Future), which wasn't found when they released the expanded CD some years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 9:38 PM, Loert said:

Here's my mockup of JW's arrangement of "Anything Goes", from the opening sequence of Temple of Doom; always wanted to hear what was going on behind all that tap dancing! :D

Enjoy!

Great sound! This is really nice to hear.
What instruments did you use?

2 minutes ago, redishere said:

Great sound! This is really nice to hear.
What instruments did you use?

Thanks!

Pretty much all the orchestral stuff is Orchestral Tools. The drums are Abbey Road Modern Drums.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, Loert said:

Here's my mockup of JW's arrangement of "Anything Goes", from the opening sequence of Temple of Doom; always wanted to hear what was going on behind all that tap dancing! :D

Enjoy!

Sweet.  Fantastic work indeed!

2 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

That's impressive - how long did it take you?  I can think of a number of composers who would pay to have someone put a demo like this together for them including myself.

Wow, thank you for the compliment!

I did the first third of the mockup some time in March, the rest took perhaps 20 hours or so to play in. The drum track was done separately and took me an evening because I had to transcribe it from the original recording. Cleaning up and smoothing out MIDI blemishes for the whole thing took up another evening as well.

I say again, impressive - getting an accurate transcription of the drums in one evening in particular.  I believe there is a strong demand for these skills as demo requirements become more demanding and composer's schedules tighter.  For those like me who have largely broken with thr technology it's invaluable that the next generation is so adept with this. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Loert

As I posted in Hedji's thread, here is my edit of an Entr'e Acte for ESB, with a mockup opening using Yoda's Theme

Found and revisited some old "Overture"/"Intermezzo"/"Entr'e Acte" style edits of the concert suites/end credits from the original Star Wars trilogy I made a long time ago:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all I have a request, can someone please make a mockup of a segment from The Langoliers score that I've attached please?

Vladimir told me that the sequence in question was editorially created. I however, can not find it in the score. The second half of the cue I was able to locate but this first half I just can't.

I would greatly appreciate the help since I want the score complete as possible.

Leaving_LAX_DVD.wav

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Holko said:

A-HA! Finally these two bits click into place.

It's funny that one of the records (1:56-2:20), apparently, was made later and in a modified form. I had to cut and edit this record myself a bit :)

I decided to make a mockup with the old sound of Time-Turner (in Prisoner of Azkaban). In the score, the sounds of the clock were written in notes. Apparently, the sound of time-turner changed several times during production. I don’t know what kind of sound was supposed to be, so I myself chose the synth sound :) In fact, the sound of the clock is partially duplicated by the marimba.

The biggest difference is on 2:00-2:12 - the violins play a different note and the sound of the clock does not stop. I cut out the second half of the music, since there already clock completely duplicate marimba... 

Again mockup from the Prisoner of Azkaban. This is the earliest version (which was in the score) of 4M3+4 cue. The second half is no different from the final version, so I cut it out. If possible, I will continue to make mockups from POA :)

The next POA mockup. A second version of the 4M3+4 cue, but was still replaced in the final version of the soundtrack. 

The second half is cut out - it does not differ from the final version.

Made a mockup of old version of 4M14 cue (POA) - Summoning the Patronus (1:40-end) on LLL. 
The first part (0:05-0:34) - it sounds very dramatic, very different from the final version. There is no WttP theme. At an early stage of production, to all scenes with a Patronus, Williams wrote music in this “style” (cut-out ending of Apparition On The Train, old version of Watching the Past).

The transitional part (0:33-0:53) is similar to the final version, but sounds different. It's funny that before the next part in this version there is a slight pause.
The third part (0:53-end) is an old alternative version of WttP. In the score there are only two cues in which this theme sounds - 3M10 "Remembering Mother" and this cue. The theme is played by a penny whistle (but in my mockup, a recorder sounds, sorry). The ending (1:21) has not changed much, but in the final version it is accelerated and some elements (celeste tremolo, glock, more pizzicatos) are removed.

The beginning of cue is no different from the final version, so I cut it out.

Mockup of the 4M14 cue insert ("Insert for Patronus Light" in the score). In fact, this is the second version of the first part of 4M14 cue, but still not the final one. This version doesn't sound as dramatic as the previous one, but there is still no WttP theme. However, a choir (women) has already been added here.

Mockup of old version of cue 6M4 (track Sirius and Harry, Prisoner of Azkaban). In the final version, only the first third of the cue is left (in addition, the time signature of the first third were changed from 4/4 to 6/8). The second and third thirds were replaced by the WttP theme. In the old version, the development of the theme that is heard in the first third continues (the same theme later sounds in Lupin's Transformation (7M2 "My dad conjured the Patronus"). I cut the first third.

New POA mini-mockup. The earliest version of the ending of 7M1A cue (track Saving Buckbeak). Later, "Bats Extension" (7M1B) was written, which, in turn, had two versions. The extension replaced this original "dark" ending. It is also possible that "Bats Extension" was originally planned to be inserted AFTER this ending (the scene could have been longer), but then this piece was decided to be cut.

Old version of 7M7 cue "Ext. Whomping Willow"/"Whomping Willow Revisited". More optimistic, there is no hedwig theme, that is present in "revised" version.

Old version of 3ME cue (The Great Hall Ceiling). There are few differences from the final version - this version is longer and has a different ending. There is also a recurring hedwig theme, which was completely "removed" in this scene in the film.

POA: Old version of 7M11 cue "A New Broomstick" ("The Firebolt" on LLL-disc). According to the old screenplay, this scene should have been a little longer. Harry first had to troll the students, and pretend the broom wasn’t working. In addition, after the scene, apparently, the credits should have started immediately.

The second half is already combined orchestral recordings.

Old version of 7M9 cue "Lupin's Departure". This is a combination of my mockup, the LLL-version and the version that sounds in the film instead of ending of 4M10 "Brief Snow Scene".

Anyone ever thought of redoing the Rarities Gondor Theme with more modern and real libraries so it sounds less like it's from a LotR fanmod for Age of Empires 1? The approach is very interesting in hindsight but it could fit better at the end of a CR playlist if it sounded better.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:42 PM, bollemanneke said:

On page one of this thread, Jay included 'Quidditch and the Great Gryfindor Victory' from HP1 in the request list. What is this exactly?

It's old version of "Quidditch" from Children's Suite.