Official JWFan mock ups and fan-made recordings thread!

Jay

OK finally had a chance to check out your 3 recent mockups Joe!

Willie In The Fryer beginning - Sounds great. This has made me VERY interested in hearing the entire cue!

Typewriter Chord - LOL. Yup, its a chord! Sounds fine, though. Did I hear added "noise" in this cue? Are you sure its supposed to be 20 seconds long? It's been ages since I've seen the movie, but I didn't think it took him that long to type "SHARK" into the typewriter...

The Rescue - Holy cow! The strings and some of the horns sound INCREDIBLE! I think the weakest parts are 0:12-0:13 (little descending melody) and 0:34-0:36 (woodwinds?), and 0:46-0:53 - those parts just don't seem as "real" as the rest. The rest sounds amazing, especially 0:23=0:34, 0:36-0:46. Wow!! Well done, sir. Honestly some of the best mocking up I've heard!

Willie In The Fryer beginning - Sounds great. This has made me VERY interested in hearing the entire cue!

Thanks! I still haven't gotten around to doing the end, but it'll happen sooner or later, I'm sure. :P

Typewriter Chord - LOL. Yup, its a chord! Sounds fine, though. Did I hear added "noise" in this cue?

That's the synth part - it's supposed to fade from a strings sound to more of a buzzing sort of white noise, so that's what you're hearing. :)

Are you sure its supposed to be 20 seconds long? It's been ages since I've seen the movie, but I didn't think it took him that long to type "SHARK" into the typewriter...

Well, the part where he actually types "SHARK" is only about 8 seconds long, based on the timing written in the score, but after that, there's just a fermata, which means that the chord is supposed to be held for an indefinite length of time, and it's marked as a diminuendo, which means to get steadily quieter and quieter. When Williams ends a cue this way, it usually dwindles away for a while. In the case of this particular cue, the chord would have died away over the beginning of the next scene, whatever that is. I did try some shorter fermatas, but this one sounded the best. Ultimately just a guess, though. :)

The Rescue - Holy cow! The strings and some of the horns sound INCREDIBLE! I think the weakest parts are 0:12-0:13 (little descending melody) and 0:34-0:36 (woodwinds?), and 0:46-0:53 - those parts just don't seem as "real" as the rest. The rest sounds amazing, especially 0:23=0:34, 0:36-0:46. Wow!! Well done, sir. Honestly some of the best mocking up I've heard!

Thank you very much! :D Yeah, the woodwinds can be problematic...those are all EWQL, and while they're certainly passable, they just don't have that sense of uncanny realism that, say, LASS can have for the strings in certain contexts. I think I might look into VSL to supplement EWQL. It just sucks that there's no one library out there that can handle everything orchestral...you really have to mix-and-match to get decent results.

For the purposes of making Williams mockups, what would be REALLY awesome was if someone put together a sample library with the LSO at Abbey Road, with the actual goal being to create a great Williams sound. :P Not gonna happen, and I'm sure it wouldn't be perfect anyway, but it'd help.

Haha - if you're going to assembled the LSO to record all those notes for a sample library, might as well just give them the sheet music and have them record all the full cues instead :)

In fact, I wish someone would spend the money to do that. How cool would it be to get 2011 recordings by the LSO of the original Star Wars trilogy, in perfect sound, meant to sound as close to the original film recordings as possible?

Haha - if you're going to assembled the LSO to record all those notes for a sample library, might as well just give them the sheet music and have them record all the full cues instead :)

Well, that too, haha...but it'd be fun for creating new music, as well, not just mockups of Williams' work. And there wouldn't be legal hoops to jump through if they're just recording notes.

How cool would it be to get 2011 recordings by the LSO of the original Star Wars trilogy, in perfect sound, meant to sound as close to the original film recordings as possible?

I dunno...I mean, I'm so attached to the original performances that I don't know if I'd be interested. The musicians these days seem better suited to Williams' modern styles, anyhow...like Williams' music itself, they've lost some of that visceral "punch" while improving their technical precision and mastery. I'd honestly rather have the original recordings, but totally remastered from the original elements, as the small film score labels tend to do for their releases. They often get some really spectacular results, and I think the OT would benefit enormously from that sort of treatment. Granted, there's always the Anthology set, but that has its own issues with the edits and missing music and different takes and whatnot, of course.

I know but the mix from TESB and the sound quality from ROTJ is messed up on the current releases and Lucasfilm seems to have no interest in releasing better versions despite the fact we know they exist from what has popped up in video games and the ROTS bonus DVD. And even those don't sound as good as a modern digital recording would. But I digress.

Is no one going to do that final note from Incident At Isla Nublar? :)

Hmmm, maybe I'll give that last note a shot. I probably wouldn't want to use it for my own edit, but maybe someone else will if I can do it well enough...

EDIT: All righty, here it is. I tried to match the length, timbre, decay, and whatnot pretty closely. That ended up requiring the layering of five different patches from three different sample libraries (plus two more patches for the timpani and strings, which are barely audible in the attack), as well as some automation with the volume faders and EQ, but I think the results are decently close. The volume should be about right for editing into the OST track.

http://www.multiupload.com/PIAN0WVLED

Just FYI, I should have the end of "Willy in the Fryer" finished tonight or tomorrow morning. :D

EDIT: Well, that was quick. :P Here's the end of "Willy in the Fryer", starting with the last passage that's initially rather usable in the DVD rip, so that you've got room to crossfade.

http://www.multiupload.com/FJFBRN62NU

And for the sake of convenience, here's the link for the beginning of the cue again.

http://www.multiupload.com/USPE3GYQEP

Thanks! :D I haven't heard anything directly from Jack about his "Get 'Em R2!" mockup, but I hear through the grapevine that he's still planning on finishing it...and I sure hope he does...

Good Mock ups for Willy !! :up:

You make a beginn and a ending... please create the middle part too. ( without the Lego file... ) :)

Thank you! :D I dunno about the middle part that's heard on the DVD...I might do a mockup of it at some point, but we'll have to see. There's a LOT of stuff in a LOT of scores that I need to redo now, haha.

Ah, yeah, they upgraded to that PLAY thing at some point, and they've evidently added some more instruments. Seems to happen with a lot of sample libraries.

EDIT: By the way, here's a discussion about adding noise back into mockups for the sake of realism. They start talking about chair squeaks and coughs and farts and whatnot, which I don't really have any interest in, but adding a little bit of a noise floor really does help.

Did you ever hear a fart in a film score cue?

I don't think so, no. They were mostly being facetious about that. The point was that they were talking about adding (normally) unwanted noises made by the performers, not just a noise floor, which is what I've been doing.

EDIT: Hmmm, I think I might redo the unused second half of TLW's "Up in a Basket (Part I)".

I don't think so, no. They were mostly being facetious about that. The point was that they were talking about adding (normally) unwanted noises made by the performers, not just a noise floor, which is what I've been doing.

EDIT: Hmmm, I think I might redo the unused second half of TLW's "Up in a Basket (Part I)".

If I may be so bold to request a TLW mockup REDUX.... I would request either Rialto Ripples, or the end of Ludlow's Speech.

Well, my eventual goal is to replace just about every mockup I've ever done. So those are on the list, although "Rialto Ripples" will be an interesting challenge, because I REALLY like the reconstructive sort of approach I took with that cue. I wish I could just replace the elements I created in Finale, but sadly, I didn't save the rest of it separately, so I'd have to pretty much redo it from scratch. So it'll probably be a while before I do that.

I also gave up pretty quickly on "Up in a Basket" when I looked at the sheet music and remembered all those roiling string dissonances. I don't really want to spend my time trying to perform those right now. :P I'm glad you mentioned "Ludlow's Speech", though, because THAT one would be a lot easier, and the results would probably be more rewarding. Maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow or something.

Has anybody tackled the alternate "Baby lifts lorry" from Superman: The Movie yet? (and Sunday Meeting?)

here is a list of unreleased/unrecorded superman cues I would like mockup'ed from most wanted to least

Baby Lifts Lorry (Unused)

Sunday Meeting

To Earth (Unused)

Fortress of Solitude (new start) [unused]

To The Lair (Original)

and Racing the Train (unused)

Has anybody attempted to mockup the missing Love Theme statement from Attack of the Clones 6M5 Padme Falls, or the missing bits from 5m1B Anakin Changes?

Hey Jason, any chance you could list everything in the main post? No worries if you don't find the time to take on this thread, too!

Yes, I was planning on doing that eventually, along with the list of requests :)

So, legally speaking. What is the difference to posting a synth/sample mock-up in this thread and a bootleg recording of a concert?

Based on your contributions here, you're probably the most important member in the history of JWFan ;)

With all due respect to Airman, I would give that position to Ricard L. Befan, before even considering anyone else.

Nothing. It's kind of silly to worry about copyrights at all when it comes to this sort of thing, since the mock-ups and even sheet music downloads are all the exact same copyright violation as bootlegs would be. If you're not going to worry about it in one instance, why bother with the other?

:up: interesting read Jeremy, and I applaud you for making this recordings and presenting them for us!

Interesting, but not exactly accurate when it comes to the Fair Use explanation. Unless the law has changed since I was in practicing as an attorney, even the government is bound by copyright. There's no exception for them and Fair Use doesn't apply just because you're not making money. In fact, one of the key elements of Fair Use is that only a portion of the work may be used, not the entire thing, so only a small percentage of the 'Anything Goes' cue, for example, could be arranged/performed for Fair Use to apply. The concept is primarily designed for educators and critics to be able to use portions of copyrighted works royalty-free for pedagogical and/or critical review purposes.

Jeremy was correct, however, in that suing the government can be a tricky proposition and one most people wouldn't bother trying.

Why are you and Stefan coming in here and trying to ruin our fun?

The OWNER OF THIS SITE has authorized the thread. CASE CLOSED.

Well some of these cues were NEVER RECORDED, so we are probably never going see them outside of mockups.

I'm wondering if most of the leaked scores are scans of photocopies, and it's the quality of the photocopies that's poor in the older manuscripts.

I have a hunch a lot of them might be microfilmed. It's not unheard for manuscripts kept in a poor condition (especially likely, since John Williams doesn't have an archive of his scores - except his personal collection which is probably engraved) to degrade, much like film stock.

Why I don't believe these are scanned, is that it's practically always the Spencer-orchestrated scores that are faint. Courage's suffer slightly, but not Neufield's, Morton's, or Pope's.

Yes, they look an awful lot like the microfisched ALIEN score on file at the Library of Congress. The microfiche printouts I have of that are pretty similar to those Spencer scores.

JURASSIC PARK - End of incident at Isla Nublar (literally one sustained note), The Encased Mosquito, Meeting with Mr. Hammond, Cartoon Demonstration, You Bred Raptors, The History Lesson, (last few seconds of) An Ailing Monster, The Coming Storm, The Trouble With Dennis, The T-Rex Chase etc...)

THE LOST WORLD - (Datameister, did you a great job with the Finale files - but I demand higher quality!) Tonnes of unreleased stuff here. Some track into the film but most of it unused.

The first three Indy scores

OBSESSION

VERTIGO

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK

CAPE FEAR

IT'S ALIVE!

THE OMEN

You could use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab to on the rips (PM me if you want the bootleg score in 320 kbps mp3s)

Here's a version I did of the Cartoon Demonstration from JP. It's not very sophisticated. Just uses the instruments that come standard with Finale, with no tweaking (since I have no idea how to do that stuff). Certainly nothing on the level of what Jack is producing, which would scare the crap out of me if I were a professional musician, because that sounds good enough to replace an orchestra completely.

Anyway, here it is, for what it's worth.

http://www.multiupload.com/23GHY947KC

I'm afraid I'm not interested, but maybe someone else will be!

Here's the profoundly exciting (;)) "Typewriter Chord" from Jaws:

http://www.multiupload.com/OIBR070N8P

Okay, I must have missed something. What's the Typewriter Chord? I gather it's from Jaws, but from where and why all the interest?

I think there's at least one sample library (Symphobia 2, maybe?) that actually contains some stage noise like that, but that's not really necessary.

As I understand it, you are using EWQLSO, and that one includes a "hall noise" instrument (under Percussions -> Metal).

You mean Orchestral Percussion > F Various Metals? I'm not hearing it in there...just bell trees, mark trees, and triangles...anyway, I don't doubt that there are numerous sample libraries with this sort of noise in them, but I checked, and Symphobia 2 was indeed the one I was thinking of. :)

I always thought the mark tree was just another name for a bell tree-- just named for its inventor, Mark Stevens. Didn't know they were two separate instruments. Huh.

In fact, I wish someone would spend the money to do that. How cool would it be to get 2011 recordings by the LSO of the original Star Wars trilogy, in perfect sound, meant to sound as close to the original film recordings as possible?

If they were going to do that, I'd prefer the Chicago Symphony. The power of their brass section is unrivaled. ;)

Why are you and Stefan coming in here and trying to ruin our fun?

The OWNER OF THIS SITE has authorized the thread. CASE CLOSED.

Dude, I just answered someone's question. Sorry if that harshed your buzz or something. Not anything to get twisted up over.

I always thought the mark tree was just another name for a bell tree-- just named for its inventor, Mark Stevens. Didn't know they were two separate instruments. Huh.

Well, as with many percussion instruments, there's some variation in what terms get used, but generally, those terms are supposed to refer to two different instruments. The mark tree resembles a set of many thin metal wind chimes, arranged so they hang in order from largest to smallest. You sweep across them gently with a metal beater, and that's where you get that tinkling "magical" sound from. The bell tree is a little less well-known...it's a set of bells nested vertically within each other, with the largest at the top. You scrape it more vigorously with a metal beater, often in a downward motion ("with the grain", to create pitches that travel upward), which gives you a rather different sound. Williams uses bell trees a lot more than mark trees, which have more of a stereotypical, commercial sort of sound.

Here's a version I did of the Cartoon Demonstration from JP. It's not very sophisticated. Just uses the instruments that come standard with Finale, with no tweaking (since I have no idea how to do that stuff). Certainly nothing on the level of what Jack is producing, which would scare the crap out of me if I were a professional musician, because that sounds good enough to replace an orchestra completely.

BTR, that was terrific! I think I actually prefer it over any dvd rips I've ever heard, just because there is SO much sound effects and dialogue over that scene, the sound gets so distorted trying to erase them.

I can only imagine how good it will sound if your midi/mus is passed onto on of our members with huge sample libraries!

BTR, that was terrific! I think I actually prefer it over any dvd rips I've ever heard, just because there is SO much sound effects and dialogue over that scene, the sound gets so distorted trying to erase them.

I can only imagine how good it will sound if your midi/mus is passed onto on of our members with huge sample libraries!

Anyone who wants my file to give it a try is welcome to it. Just ask here or drop me a PM message.

One caveat-- all non-pitched percussion will have to be tweaked by hand-- maybe even re-entered entirely. Since I still can't figure out how to make that percussion stuff work properly in Finale, I've come up with a kludge system of my own which produces decent printed output, but doesn't play back properly at all. Since my focus has been mainly on the engraving, I never really cared all that much if the playback suffered. It only affects things like drums and cymbals and tam-tams. Anything with a discrete pitch (timpani, xylo, glock, etc.) is fine.

Personally, I would love it if Jack or Datameister ran it through whatever they're using and made it sound as good as some of the other cues they've been doing here. Only one condition: if I provide my data file, whoever mocks it up has to post the result as a WAV or mp3 file. None of this FLAC nonsense that my computer has no idea what to do with. ;)

If I were to do "Cartoon Demonstration", I'd want to do it from scratch. Nothing against what you've done - your file sounds very accurate, but I'd still redo it even if I'd been the one who'd entered it in Finale. With the exception of really difficult passages, I try to record myself playing everything these days.

As for the percussion issue, Finale definitely would benefit from a serious overhaul in that department. You basically have to tweak the percussion maps on a staff-by-staff basis if you want them to look AND sound right, which typically requires constantly referencing the MIDI percussion map in the help document. If that's something you ever decide you want to work on, I'd be happy to help you out via PM. :) (And on a side note, might I recommend using the Garritan patches for the strings and piano? You also might want to add a little reverb in there.)

Just download foobar2000 or something and hop on the FLAC bandwagon! :P I resisted at first, but then I realized that they're much easier to upload and download and whatnot. Same sound quality as WAV, but a lot smaller.

Last but not least...Jason, there's no sound effects or dialogue in the rear channels for this cue. The music is just mixed really low, which means you get a low signal-to-noise ratio that persists when you turn up the volume. Still vastly better sound quality than stuff like the Hook or TLC boots, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. SFX and dialogue only become an issue at the end of the cue, when the rear channels start to fade out, and you have to switch to the front channels by the end.

Just download foobar2000 or something and hop on the FLAC bandwagon!

I just checked out that foobar2000 and it appears to be a Windoze-only app. I'm a Mac guy.

Ah, my condolences. ;) Regardless, I'm sure there are Mac-compatible applications that handle FLAC files just fine. It's an issue that's definitely worth resolving for yourself, since it's such a great format for online sharing.

Hey BTR, I wouldn't mind having a go at it if you don't mind sharing the finale file. I haven't had an opportunity to actually contribute much lately since I've been busy getting ready to move the family to San Antonio...(sorry guys!) I have a little extra time in my schedule at work though and would be happy to run it through the VSL and MOTU sample libraries.

Hey BTR, I wouldn't mind having a go at it if you don't mind sharing the finale file. I haven't had an opportunity to actually contribute much lately since I've been busy getting ready to move the family to San Antonio...(sorry guys!) I have a little extra time in my schedule at work though and would be happy to run it through the VSL and MOTU sample libraries.

Sure, just PM me and let me know where to send it.

Here's my conversion take on BTR1701's "Cartoon Demonstration" from JP, using EWQLSO Gold:

http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/temp/JP_Cartoon_Demo.mp3

Sounds fantastic. Only one little nit (and it's my fault for not using the right tools in the score)-- the trumpets are muted through the whole cue. Rather than use the "mute" expression in Finale, which actually affects the playback, I just notated it on the first page of the score with a text label "mute throughout". Fine for engraving. Not so fine for making it sound right.

Hey BTR, I've been playing around with it but haven't had enough time at work to really produce anything. One suggestion for getting the best playback, be sure you use ties instead of slurs. Sometimes the "slur" looks a little better on the page, although it's better now than Finale of years past. But, the playback does change a bit.

Great work though, looks fantastic! I'll post a WAV (as you requested) hopefully tomorrow.

So, legally speaking. What is the difference to posting a synth/sample mock-up in this thread and a bootleg recording of a concert?

Based on your contributions here, you're probably the most important member in the history of JWFan ;)

With all due respect to Airman, I would give that position to Ricard L. Befan, before even considering anyone else.

Nothing. It's kind of silly to worry about copyrights at all when it comes to this sort of thing, since the mock-ups and even sheet music downloads are all the exact same copyright violation as bootlegs would be. If you're not going to worry about it in one instance, why bother with the other?

:up: interesting read Jeremy, and I applaud you for making this recordings and presenting them for us!

Interesting, but not exactly accurate when it comes to the Fair Use explanation. Unless the law has changed since I was in practicing as an attorney, even the government is bound by copyright. There's no exception for them and Fair Use doesn't apply just because you're not making money. In fact, one of the key elements of Fair Use is that only a portion of the work may be used, not the entire thing, so only a small percentage of the 'Anything Goes' cue, for example, could be arranged/performed for Fair Use to apply. The concept is primarily designed for educators and critics to be able to use portions of copyrighted works royalty-free for pedagogical and/or critical review purposes.

Jeremy was correct, however, in that suing the government can be a tricky proposition and one most people wouldn't bother trying.

NERD ALERT! :znaika:

Sorry for the confusion there BTR...completely my fault, but I wasn't actually referring to the Fair Use policy itself. (Even though I said "fair use," I meant it in a general sense, so my apologies.) I'm sure you know much more about copyright laws than I do, I just know how it pertains to my profession, and we've definitely dealt with this one for quite some time. Where it pertains to us is that Copyright Code (Title 17) makes it possible to use material under copyright, so long as the government's use "does not conflict with the normal exploitation of the work and does not unreasonably prejudice the legitimate interests of the author." I meant that to imply that it would be used fairly, not justified under the Fair Use policy.

Re-reading that last long copyright-related post, I should point out also that there is no actual exemption of copyright for "Non Profit" organizations...if you think about it, school bands & orchestras are ALL non-profit, so if that were the case then they could do whatever they wanted, and that would be quite a scene (ha!). But, if a group were to make a profit off of that tune, they'd be much more likely to cause a stir. Interestingly, in the actual Fair Use policy, many people think there's a numerical value assigned that you are allowed to use - 5% of the work, or 30 seconds, etc. In reality there is no numerical value in there, it's all based on the Fair Use "checklist."

Much of our military band history has involved maintaining good copyright practice, and was even one of the first "exemptions" in copyright laws worldwide. Naturally the government must abide by copyright laws, but in 1988 the US adopted the Berne Convention of 1886. The US held out for a while to prevent/postpone drastic changes to US Copyright Law, but adopted them finally (it's in Appendix II, sec. 3 of Copyright Law/Title 17). The Berne Convention had been updated in 1948, and allowed military bands and several religious ceremonies certain exceptions "to the rights granted to authors of literary and artistic works...in certain special cases that do not conflict with the normal exploitation of the work and do not unreasonably prejudice the legitimate interests of the author." This military band exemption has to be of a non-commercial nature, which of course they are, since we are not permitted to charge admission to performances or sell the CDs we produce. Copyright Law does, however, make it clear that the Berne Convention does not affect the right of the author (composer/etc) to claim authorship of the work.

Wow, enough of THAT! :tmi: Copyright law reminds me of the Temporal Prime Directive...

Here's my conversion take on BTR1701's "Cartoon Demonstration" from JP, using EWQLSO Gold

If I sent you a few other cues from JP in Finale MIDI format, would you run them through your program, too?

I have no idea what's involved with all this. All I do is work on the engraving side of things. The playback/MIDI stuff is a complete mystery to me, so if it's a lot of work, just say so.

Also, as I mentioned before, my percussion notation is unconventional and doesn't produce decent playback so if you can do it, just mute those tracks and leave them out. I'd rather have a percussion-less version than no version at all.

One suggestion for getting the best playback, be sure you use ties instead of slurs. Sometimes the "slur" looks a little better on the page, although it's better now than Finale of years past. But, the playback does change a bit.

Yes, I realized well into my engraving pursuits that Finale treats ties and slurs differently. In all my years as a musician, I never knew they were *actually* different. Of course I realize the difference in concept, but I always thought the printed symbol was the same. That is: two notes of the same pitch connected by an arcing line = tie; two notes of different pitches connected by an arcing line = slur. I didn't realize there were actually two different types of arcing lines with very subtle distinctions as to where the lines touch the noteheads.

Unfortunately this realization didn't come to me until I'd literally put in hundreds of hours and many megabytes engraving various cues** and now it's just too much work to go back and fix them all, especially considering I never really cared all that much about playback until participating in this very thread.

**For example, I engraved the *entire* Jurassic Park score that way. You can imagine how much time it would take just to go back and fix just that much and it's only a small percentage of what I've done over the years.

Here's my from-scratch mockup of "Cartoon Demonstration" as it currently stands...

http://www.multiupload.com/DFDVRTPTZK

Forgive me, I decided not to cut off the extremely incomplete stuff at the end. :P The woodwinds are also mixed too wet. But it still demonstrates why I think it's worth the effort to manually play through and record as much of the material as possible via MIDI, even if it has to be heavily tweaked afterward.

Here's my from-scratch mockup of "Cartoon Demonstration" as it currently stands...

Forgive me, I decided not to cut off the extremely incomplete stuff at the end. :P The woodwinds are also mixed too wet. But it still demonstrates why I think it's worth the effort to manually play through and record as much of the material as possible via MIDI, even if it has to be heavily tweaked afterward.

Sounds great so far. Hope you finish it. It'd be great to have a nice realistic-sounding version for my JP album playlist.

Sounds great Joe! Honestly, its good enough for me to include in my set - I prefer it over the dvd rip!

Thanks, glad you guys like it! :D Unfortunately, I'm not gonna be able to work on it for the next week or two...could be as long as a month, though I certainly hope not.