New album out!

Marcus

Greetings everyone!

The soundtrack for my second feature score, for the Norwegian film "UMEA4ever", will be available shortly from Amazon, iTunes, etc.

Samples:

"UMEA4everSoundtrack": http://www.amazon.com/Ume%C3%A54ever/dp/B004VS527S/ref=sr_shvl_album_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302291173&sr=301-2

The score is highly unorthodox in its orchestration, as it is scored entirely for saxophone, accordion and double bass, with only a little additional help from percussion. It is performed by virtuoso contemporary music group POING, which consists of three of the foremost performers of their respective intruments, Rolf-Erik Nystrom (alto sax; currently nominated for the Nordic Council Music Prize 2011), Frode Haltli (accordion; prestige label ECM recording artist) and Hakon Thelin (Ensemble Modern etc.).

The soundtrack is released by MTG Music.

Although unusual in its timbral qualities, I think fans of Williams, and of an older school of film scoring in general, will find something to relate to, and I do hope you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,
Marcus

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it be available on the Dutch iTunes?

It should be available worldwide.

(Does the link work, btw?)

Will be buying this! Samples sound good.

Gave Upperdog another listen today, been a while. Very good album!

But I listen to tracks "Tarantella" "Per's Story" and "Vocalise" pretty regularly!

Thank you, everyone, for your kind attention (and thank you, Blume, for your friendly comments regarding my score for "Upperdog")!

The soundtrack to "UMEA4ever" is now available worldwide from all major downloading sites (for Amazon, see link provided in my initial post). I hope you'll enjoy checking out this score; I had a blast writing it, especially knowing what absolute world class virtuosos would be performing, and I think it's safe to say this album includes some of the niftier playing you are likely to hear on a soundtrack these days, completely transcending the size of the ensemble, and indeed at times the instruments themselves.

All best,

Marcus

• 1 year later...

I just had an epiphany listening to "Toy Soldiers" on Upperdog.

Marcus Shostakovich Paus!

It bugged me for a year. It was subtle enough to be unplaceable but strong enough to make me go "I know this... I know this so well..."

Why, thank you so much!

Goodness, what an unexpected thread ressurection!

Funny thing is that I was given the opportunity to revisit "Upperdog", and "Toy Soldiers" in particular, this Summer, as I was commissioned to write a saxophone concerto for Rolf-Erik Nystrom (whose incredible artistry is also featured on the soundtrack to "Umeå4ever") and the Arctic Philharmonic. In the concerto, that slightly saccharine march is coupled with, or rather pitted against, some of the more "Eastern" elements of that film score. The concerto premiered (and was broadcast live on Norwegian radio) this past August 9th, and I hope to feature it on a CD of my orchestral music due next year.

Wow...I just checked the date...I thought this was a new thread. Oh well, I'd love to check this score out regardless.

Thank you again for your interest! Yes, this is an old thread. For the sake of making it a little more up-to-date; here's a link to another CD that was released a few months back featuring a work for solo violin of mine -among 8 other works for solo violin (!), all performed by fantastically talented young performers. The piece is entitled "The Ladies on the Bridge" (borrowed from the title of the picture of Norwegian painter Edvard Munch I intended to depict in music), and is the third track on the album:

<a>http://www.musikkonline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=408472</a>

Hope you'll enjoy!