John Barry Memorial Concert

Greg1138

Full story, as is often the case - courtesy of Auntie Beeb.

Looks like a good do....hope the tickets are not extortionate! Might have to take my daughter there as her birthday present.....erm.....ahem!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great concert, too bad I won't be able to attend. Though it was expected to some degree, it's nice to see that they decided to honour Barry this way.

I was going to say that they should have added it to the Proms schedule this year, but then again, those concert programs are probably planned at least a couple of years in advance.

Think I might try and make this concert...

• 2 months later...
It'd be nice it the beeb televised it.

It looked like the concert was being filmed, with several black-clad cameramen filming discreetly among the orchestra and soloists (hopefully not only for the purposes of the big screens inside the hall). I also noticed one of those large BBC Outside Broadcast lorries parked outside the Royal Albert Hall, so with a bit of luck anyone who wasn't lucky enough to attend will be able either to watch it or to listen to it at some later date.

It was a really fitting tribute to John Barry, with a number of wonderful star turns from the likes of David Arnold, Shirley Bassey, trumpeter Derek Watkins and even Wynne Evans of Go Compare fame (singing a beautiful rendition of Caccini's Ave Maria, apparently one of John Barry's favourite pieces of music) amongst others. There were also moving tributes from Michael Caine (via videolink), George Martin, Timothy Dalton, Don Black and Michael Parkinson. It was very touching when John Barry's wife and son came on stage at the end.

It would be great to read the thoughts of anyone else who went to the concert this evening. :)

A recording of this concert will be broadcast on BBC Radio 2's Friday Night Is Music Night on Friday 1st July at 20.00 BST. Click here for details.

Unexpectedly, this was one of the highlights for me - a track from Playing By Heart, performed superbly by Bond score veteran trumpeter Derek Watkins.

Darn, too late. Has anyone recorded this (in lossless?)?

You can still listen to it on the BBC iPlayer via the same link as above for the next six days. I notice that they corrected poor Rumer's blunder on We Have All The Time In The World (in the concert, she came in several bars too early for the second part of the song and had to be cued in by conductor Nicholas Dodd).