Don't you think this a litte too much praise?

Romão

Some good points have been raised. I agree that its a misleading to compare Star Wars and LOTR too literally because they are different in many respects, including the realism factor. If Williams had done LOTR, I think his music would have reflected the differences in the movies. And Williams certainly hasn't had trouble with more "realistic" movies.

And its not so much a matter of themes as it is capturing the potential of a particular scene which can be done thematically if necessary but often not. Much of the emotion of Empire of the Sun, to take one example, is captured through nonthematic material.

Its also true that JW and Shore have different approaches. I'm arguing that Shore's approach (which I don't necessarily see as less thematic) is less successful in terms of maximizing the drama onscreen. Its not like audiences aren't enjoying the films immensely and I regard Shore's score as basically very successful, so we're talking a matter of degree here.

As far as Morn's points go, it would take too long to address all of your points. You named some great film composers but can you honestly say that North, Goldsmith or Hermann would do a better job scoring the Star Wars Triology, ET, Jaws, Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, etc., etc.? These scores are remarkable in part because of his "matching every scene in the film thematically and emotionally". I would say the same about JW's lesser known scores as well.

-Adam

There are VERY few movies that I see that are not scored by Williams where I say to myself "Williams could not have scored that one any better". It is VERY rare... and one of the biggest ways I look at it is the fact that when I see a Williams scored film and say "Naaa... another composer would have done it better!"...

Both cases are rare-to-never. After seeing these LOTR movies, I am betting I will say the same thing...

-Chris, Who although does like some of the music Williams composed for Harry Potter, wishes that he did the LOTR series instead...

Its also true that JW and Shore have different approaches. I'm arguing that Shore's approach (which I don't necessarily see as less thematic) is less successful in terms of maximizing the drama onscreen. Its not like audiences aren't enjoying the films immensely and I regard Shore's score as basically very successful, so we're talking a matter of degree here.

Well let me put it this way, Shore's score have more intensity in the film than Williams almost always has. But Williams has more accuracy and scores each scene well. I believe this means that Shore ends up supporting LOTR as good if not better than Williams would have.

As far as Morn's points go, it would take too long to address all of your points. You named some great film composers but can you honestly say that North, Goldsmith or Hermann would do a better job scoring the Star Wars Triology, ET, Jaws, Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, etc., etc.? These scores are remarkable in part because of his "matching every scene in the film thematically and emotionally". I would say the same about JW's lesser known scores as well

Well there is an issue of quality of music here. Yes, they might have better scoring methods, but they also find it harder to do music that has as much plain quality. Or they lack the range needed or the right style for those sorts of films. Like wise, can you honestly say that Williams would do a better job of scoring Psycho, Patton and Cleopatra? Little own the fact that I think those composers could maybe do better at some of those films you listed in terms of supporting the film. In other words, it's difficult to say how the other composers would have done with those films, not because Williams method is as good but because the films matched his style perfectly.

Anytime a score is successful with a movie and well known its going to be hard to imagine something different for the movie. With that said, though, I think JW would do a better job scoring North, Goldsmith, Hermann films although I'll admit to less familiarity with their works. But from what I've seen and heard I would have at least as many complaints as I do with Shore.

JW has scored movies in just about any style and if there is a type of movie he can't do extremely well, I've yet to see it. So I don't think its a matter of the style of the movies. After all, what could be more different than Schinder's List and Star Wars? In fact, his versatility is one of the things that sets him apart, in particular as compared to Hermann and North.

-Adam

No, Williams isn't as good at the sort of horror music that Psycho would need. Although versatility is one of Herrmann's problems.

North has at least as much versatility, yet he tries to be unique and tries to have a very distinctive style. And believe me, if he did Schindler's List it would have been just as good as Williams work. Because only he can match the emotional depth that Williams has. But for Star Wars, I don't see him doing english and 19th century fanfares. Yet he would do a theme for the empire, a theme for vader and a theme for vader and luke, he uses more themes than Williams. For Star Wars I think you'll find there would be aspects in which both will be better than each other. As North pretty much excells at everything and has an amazing ablity to find the right emotion for a scene.

Williams wouldn't be able to show all the aspects of patton's character as good as Goldsmith did.

And even though I am not a fan of AOTC the score, I find nothing in FOTR as powerful as the Confrontation with Count Dooku, and End Titles in that score.

Who cares?

Stefancos- who's starting 2003 by not sugarcoating his opinion anymore.

Who cares what you care?

Joe, who hasn't reached 2003 yet and is baffled at how he can respond to something that hasn't happened yet. LOL

Well, we're dealing with subjects that are worthy of extended essays. It would be hard to characterize these composers in a few lines. North is somebody I would be interested in paying more attention to, based on what you have said. You advise me to believe you when you say North could have done Schindler's List as well and I don't, I'm afraid to say. But, like I say, I'll pay more attention to him.

Hermann wrote a great score for Psycho but I think JW could do an even more effective job (though I don't claim to be able to hear the alternate soundtrack in my head). Williams works fine in the "horror" genre. We don't have a lot of horror film scores by JW to listen to and observe but Dracula, The Fury were great scores for inferior movies (compared to Psycho). Jaws 1 and 2 had elements of a horror film as did some scenes in Close Encounters. The point being : JW is perfectly capable in that genre, creating chills, suspense, fright, etc. and his music is more closely wedded to the movie than Hermann's in my view.

Goldsmith is somewhat erratic. I can't really speak to Patton, but a lot of his action music is banal and repetitive, with very little attention to the subtleties of the film. He is better at capturing the "big picture" and less likely to nail the individual scenes dead on. He has moments of brilliance and ingenuity and is definitely a fun one to pay attention to.

No doubt, the art of film music has advanced since Hermann and North were working, like in any sport or craft. Its a little bit like comparing Jerry West and Michael Jordan or something. JW benefits from the fact that he comes after North and Hermann so he has a better idea of what works and build upon prior contributions, refine them, etc. This is something he has done with his Hermanesqe quotes in AOTC and Minority Report.

-Adam

Hermann wrote a great score for Psycho but I think JW could do an even more effective job (though I don't claim to be able to hear the alternate soundtrack in my head). Williams works fine in the "horror" genre. We don't have a lot of horror film scores by JW to listen to and observe but Dracula, The Fury were great scores for inferior movies (compared to Psycho). Jaws 1 and 2 had elements of a horror film as did some scenes in Close Encounters. The point being : JW is perfectly capable in that genre, creating chills, suspense, fright, etc. and his music is more closely wedded to the movie than Hermann's in my view.

The Fury and Dracula would be great support I think for why Williams couldn't do better than herrmann's great effort. ROTFLMAO To be perfectly honest I think Williams trying to do Herrmann sounds sort of like a cheap version of Herrmann, err with the exception of AOTC. And do you really think that Jaws would be as good as it is without the influence of herrmann's knife music? :)

Jaws 1 and 2 are a totally difference horror film though and it's difficult to compare them to Psycho. In other words, I acknowledge that Williams can do great horror music. I don't seem him wedding the music to the film as well as Herrmann did with Psycho, which infact is usually considered the textbook example of how a film score should be! Yet I also don't see Herrmann wedding music to Jaws as well as Williams did.

Goldsmith is somewhat erratic. I can't really speak to Patton, but a lot of his action music is banal and repetitive, with very little attention to the subtleties of the film. He is better at capturing the "big picture" and less likely to nail the individual scenes dead on. He has moments of brilliance and ingenuity and is definitely a fun one to pay attention to.

I sort of agree, but his action music tends to be rhythmically brilliant. And he sometimes captures the big picture much better than Williams. But note he tends to score many films by the numbers which usually has the effect that you are talking about.

No doubt, the art of film music has advanced since Hermann and North were working, like in any sport or craft. Its a little bit like comparing Jerry West and Michael Jordan or something. JW benefits from the fact that he comes after North and Hermann so he has a better idea of what works and build upon prior contributions, refine them, etc. This is something he has done with his Hermanesqe quotes in AOTC and Minority Report.

West, Jordan? Eh? :thumbup: I wouldn't exactly say film music has advanced since Herrmann and North. Rather than Williams has the access to the advances that they made, with Goldsmith and Williams taking it a bit further in the direction that they took it.

And about Williams being able to do better because he knows what worked when they tried stuff... Williams still has to do what works for him.

Adam, you make some interesting points, but unlike you, I don't go through life listening to scores, thinking "What would the score sound like If Williams composed it."

I prefer to judge the score on it's own merits.

If you compare every other film composer to Williams then you are bound to be dissapointed, although it might save you a lot of money.

I do disagree with you regarding Goldsmith, he is VERY able to "nail" individual scenes.

If you have not done so, listen to "The Enterprise" from Star trek: The Motion Picture, or better yet, watch that scene in the film. Goldsmith captures that moment perfectly, and I doubt ANY other composer could have done better.

Stefancos- Wondering when the hell the Nemisis CD will be out here. :)

My point with Goldsmith is that he is less likely to nail the individual scenes. I can think of examples myself where he's done it so I agree he is able to. The example you site is one that I'll have to go back and watch. Whether Williams would do better is subjective enough that we might have different conclusions even if we had the benefit of hearing each composer score a particular scene.

My tendency to compare everything to JW stems from the fact that he seems so damn right all the time. And I've watched his films way too many times because I can't seem to get over this fact. And I do think I'm unusual in that I watch LOTR or any non-JW film and have to be distracted by part of my brain which is running a constant critique of the music, judging all of the ways it is not capturing appropriately a moment or whatever. It is a recipe for diappointment, I agree. At the same time, I try to give credit where credit is due, and Shore, Goldsmith, etc. deserve plenty.

It comes down to certain technique and craft that JW has, based on my obscenely fanatical observations of him, that I've yet to see duplicated. I don't mean duplicated in exact terms because everyone brings their own compositional style and ideas but just in terms of capturing the dynamics of the direction, dialog, rythem, etc. of a film and maximizing a film's potential. Once you get keyed into all of that its hard not to be disappointed with everyone else. So I don't recommend that anyone do it. :)

-Adam

It is always difficult to express a musical opinion when there is a "Morn" that permanently uses every post to advertise that Herrmann and Alex North are the best film composers that ever walked the face of Earth.

Or when when I say that music has to survive the 'test of time', the same "Morn" affirms that "test of time" is just a "popularity" test. Popular music is not necessary "timeless" music. We are so fortunate this is true, or else, if Morn was right, we should be listening today to very popular "hits" like Spice Girls, New Kids on the Block and Technotronics.

Music that survives the test of time, is music that is interesting in more than just one superficial level, music that is better appreciated the more you listen to it, the more you study it, the more you play it.

My very simple point is that in the many several hours of Shore's LOTR two movies, there are very few moments that are interesting in more than one level, while in Williams' music, there are plenty of them.

It is always difficult to express a musical opinion when there is a "Morn" that permanently uses every post to advertise that Herrmann and Alex North are the best film composers that ever walked the face of Earth.

That's a straw man. But I do get sick of people thinking that Williams is the only master.

Or when when I say that music has to survive the 'test of time', the same "Morn" affirms that "test of time" is just a "popularity" test. Popular music is not necessary "timeless" music. We are so fortunate this is true, or else, if Morn was right, we should be listening today to very popular "hits" like Spice Girls, New Kids on the Block and Technotronics.

No, I said that test of time is a test of popularity over time. I choose that wording to avoid directly saying that it's no better than normal popularity. All I meant is that test of time is not the flawless measure of quality that you seem to think it is. And one of the reasons for that is that it still involves popularity, but a more reliable form.

Music that survives the test of time, is music that is interesting in more than just one superficial level, music that is better appreciated the more you listen to it, the more you study it, the more you play it.

Most of the time. But test of time can forget what is most worthy and over rate other things.

My very simple point is that in the many several hours of Shore's LOTR two movies, there are very few moments that are interesting in more than one level, while in Williams' music, there are plenty of them.

Ok, while I don't totally agree with that. I will say that Shore's scores diserve to be remembers but not as a classic.

• 13 years later...
On 21/12/2002 at 4:48 AM, Guest said:

I'll confess to being less familiar with the LOTR scores - the TTT not at all until I see the movie soon. But my impression of FOTR as heard in the movie is that Shore wrote a highly competent, functional score which is no small thing for a film like this. Its a different enough movie from Star Wars that a straight comparison is misleading.

FotR - Functional. 

Lol.

Very interesting, cheers BB (about time you did something useful).

I suppose a question to certain veterans would be - has ROTK, the Complete Recordings, time, and perhaps even The Hobbit scores changed your view at all?

I had forgotten that we put a signature with a sentence of what we thought or were going to do....it sounds silly now but i liked it then.

I must say that my view has changed. I appreciate the LOTR scores (even Hobbit ones) and my initial view was due to the overpraise of all thing PJ's LOTR.

9 hours ago, Barnald said:

Very interesting, cheers BB (about time you did something useful).

I suppose a question to certain veterans would be - has ROTK, the Complete Recordings, time, and perhaps even The Hobbit scores changed your view at all?

I guess I do not exactly count, but, I tried for a LONG time to get into the LOTR scores, via the OSTs. I "knew" they were supposed to be excellent, "knew" they were supposed to be award-winning, "knew" they were supposed to be rich and deep - but try as I might I simply couldn't get past the awful clanging, banging, choral chaos that is most of FOTR. Not even some of the work on the other two OSTs held my interest too much - that was the time when I really only appreciated "Concerning Hobbits." Everything else was too long, boring, or loud. I remember trying to listen to FOTR CR on Grooveshark, but couldn't imagine why anybody would want to buy that - SO much music. Ugh.

And then I saw the films again - I don't know what it was, but from that point, I began to appreciate them more. Slowly I began to appreciate the "boring" pizzicato for Bilbo stumping around his house . . . I branched back into the Complete Recordings and just somehow got on the same wavelength as the music was. It wasn't a 2-hour flick; it was much deeper and broader than that, encapsulating thousands of years of history. The same with the score, but this time I recognized that's what was going on. (Before, I was expecting a fun soundtrack - and was accordingly disappointed.)

Now, these are simply the greatest musical works I've ever heard. I listen to them daily and have become a big of a dragon over every last bit of music I can find. Even the Hobbit ones, which don't come close to LOTR, have their moments - and I would by Hobbit CRs in a heartbeat. In August 2017 I hope to attend the performance of all three films at Ravinia, Wicki conducting. That's a dream come true for me.

Lol what a silly thread. Really goes to show a fundamental lack of understanding in different musical approaches at the time. And Steef was the most sensible poster on here!

Some of my favourite lines:

On 12/22/2002 at 9:22 AM, Melange said:

That was probably deliberate Ted, so that in 1 years time they can screw buyers over by releasing the "Deluxe" edition with all the best unreleased music complete with Plastic sword, Bow and Arrow, or Axe (depending on which edition of the special deluxe edition you have to choose from). I'm sure these releases wont be the end of the story. Commericalism has gots its beady eyes on the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Buyer beware..hehe

Accurate!

On 12/23/2002 at 0:43 PM, charlesk said:

Whoever compares Williams with Shore at the same level is a jerk.

l o l

On 12/27/2002 at 0:03 PM, charlesk said:

I will only appeal to the test of time. If Howard Shore wins ANY serious prize for his score, like Williams did several times, I'll check his music again.

1477640396908.jpg

If in 20 years we hear Howard Shore music performed in the concert hall for its value as a stand alone classic, then I'll give Shore another opportunity.

symphbg.jpg

But as far as musical value is concerned, Howard Shore hasn't done anything special... yet.

o-howard-shore-returning-to-score-the-ho

On 12/31/2002 at 4:47 AM, Chris ChrusherComix said:

More people in the world will instantly recognize the Star Wars theme, Darth Vader's Theme, The Force theme, and not know even ONE theme from any LOTR movie to date.

I listened to the FOTR OST in the car this morning and was as moved by the finale cue as ever before.  It might just be the best film score of all time.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I listened to the FOTR OST in the car this morning and was as moved by the finale cue as ever before.  It might just be the best film score of all time.

And certainly "The Breaking of the Fellowship" would be among the single tracks from the history of film music I'd put on a Voyager-style space probe to show aliens what humans are capable of.

10 minutes ago, Gollum Cat said:

And then I saw the films again - I don't know what it was, but from that point, I began to appreciate them more. Slowly I began to appreciate the "boring" pizzicato for Bilbo stumping around his house . . . I branched back into the Complete Recordings and just somehow got on the same wavelength as the music was. It wasn't a 2-hour flick; it was much deeper and broader than that, encapsulating thousands of years of history. The same with the score, but this time I recognized that's what was going on. (Before, I was expecting a fun soundtrack - and was accordingly disappointed.)

I think this had a lot to do with the anti-LOTR sentiment here then. At the time, the Williams sound was the classic, and expected sound to any fantasy epic. Anything other than that was considered invalid. And here comes Shore, channeling Bruckner, the Polish movement and a much more modal tone in harmony and colour, and suddenly it was "wrong". But again, as it was said on here, time has treated and validated Shore's approach very well.

There was never any exceptional negativity against Shore's scores or the films. 

The reaction was overwhelmingly positive.  You must have been like 7 at the time. Please don't talk about things you have no knowledge of.

Fair enough. I'm only speaking based on what I've seen! I still believe what I said above may apply to the detractors in general.

13 minutes ago, Gollum Cat said:

I guess I do not exactly count, but, I tried for a LONG time to get into the LOTR scores, via the OSTs. I "knew" they were supposed to be excellent, "knew" they were supposed to be award-winning, "knew" they were supposed to be rich and deep - but try as I might I simply couldn't get past the awful clanging, banging, choral chaos that is most of FOTR. Not even some of the work on the other two OSTs held my interest too much - that was the time when I really only appreciated "Concerning Hobbits." Everything else was too long, boring, or loud. I remember trying to listen to FOTR CR on Grooveshark, but couldn't imagine why anybody would want to buy that - SO much music. Ugh.

Now, these are simply the greatest musical works I've ever heard. I listen to them daily and have become a big of a dragon over every last bit of music I can find. Even the Hobbit ones, which don't come close to LOTR, have their moments - and I would by Hobbit CRs in a heartbeat. In August 2017 I hope to attend the performance of all three films at Ravinia, Wicki conducting. That's a dream come true for me.

I remember struggling with the FOTR OST, too. I had no expectations regarding how the score should sound or anything. I didn't hate it. It's just that most of it didn't quite grab me (The Prophecy, The Treason Of Isengard, the Nazgûl-centric tracks), only the more "obvious" stuff, so to speak (Concerning Hobbits, The Ring Goes South, The Breaking Of The Fellowship...). My love for the score as a whole came later, as I rewatched the film and the EE, noticed the unreleased material, started connecting the thematic dots, etc.

I can see that. It brought a more "subtle" touch to the films than these affairs were used to.

Being a kid at the time, I went into the films as a fan of the books, and even then, I used to hum the Fellowship theme or stamp the 5/4 Isengard rhythm without really being aware of it, so to speak. I didn't take an active interest in film music until many years after that. I didn't even know film music was something you could actually purchase! 

When I eventually got around to the OSTs, I was hooked from the start. But that owes a lot to my pre-existing enthusiasm, love and general fanboy-ism for the books and films.

I'll leave that work to the Boal!

But again, my comments were largely targeted at the arguments I've seen made against Shore anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

YOU DON'T KNOW MAN! YOU WEREN'T THERE!

The thousand LOTR Box set repeat viewing stare?

Melange - "Stefan, the last DVD of the set is finished. It's over. I'm sorry,  but........"

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I liked the OST, but not until i saw the film did the score really click

This was also my experience. I thought the music sounded promisingly "Middle-earth" after listening to the OST a few times but as I have said before seeing the prologue of the Fellowship of the Ring really started to convince me and everything that came after just strengthened that impression.

On 1. Dezember 2016 at 10:21 AM, BloodBoal said:

Just stumbled upon this old thread randomly, and thought it would be an interesting read for @SafeUnderHill, @Bilbo Skywalker, @Barnald, @gkgyver, @KK, @Incanus and co...

Why do you assume I didn't take notice of discussions back then? I'm not that young, you know.

I may not have been here, but the www doesn't begin or end with JWFan.

3 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Why do you assume I didn't take notice of discussions back then? I'm not that young, you know.

I may not have been here, but the www doesn't begin or end with JWFan.

I am glad you are here with us gkgyver at JWFan, here at the end of all things.