Upcoming Scoring Assignments

Jay

• 3 months later...

Randy Newman has scored the upcoming Noah Baumbach film The Meyerowitz Stories.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/05/09/randy-newman-scoring-noah-baumbachs-the-meyerowitz-stories/

The movie is based on Brian Selznick’s novel of the same title and revolves around two adult siblings contending with the influence of their aging father. 

This may not be notable for most people, but as a huge R. Newman fan I'm pretty interested.  It's the first non-animated film he's scored in many many years.  Doesn't sound like the kind of film that will have a lot in the way of score, but hopefully there's a nice end credits suite or something.

It's funny, just yesterday I watched a 2014 interview with Newman on Youtube with this exchange:

Interviewer: Any upcoming projects? ...... a film score?

Newman: I don't know, I just hope it's not another cartoon, you know, I'm tired [of them]

:D 

5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Can't wait for Cars 3!

Here's exactly what he said.  I love the part about wanting to score "Meryl Streep looking up for two minutes" or "someone floating around in space."

As always, most everything Randy says comes through about 5 layers of irony.

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, Jay said:

According to this FSM poster, Christopher Young will not be scoring The Monkey King 3

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=113918&forumID=1&archive=0

That sucks, I bet they'll hire Djawadi in his stead (jeepers :()

• 3 months later...
On 23/10/2017 at 4:27 PM, Jay said:

According to this FSM poster, Christopher Young will not be scoring The Monkey King 3

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=113918&forumID=1&archive=0

This ended up being true. The Monkey King 3 is getting a score by Yu Kobayashi.

Shame (yet again today). I really liked his two scores (especially the second one).

Karol

• 2 months later...

M. Night Shyamalan has confirmed on Twitter that West Dylan Thordson is currently scoring the upcoming superhero thriller Glass

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2018/04/04/west-dylan-thordson-scoring-m-night-shyamalans-glass/

If he wanted to do it and M. Night had budget issues, he'd likely lower his fee for a friend - loads of composers have done that.

He's got The Nutcracker and Fantastic Beasts 2 on his plate right now. As with Snicket, I'm still going with him not having the schedule for it.

But I'm just looking for nice reasons why he hasn't done these projects :) Maybe he did just not want to do them...

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

That's... disappointing.

Karol

This was confirmed a long time ago. Howard is supposedly contributing a theme, but he liked what Thordson did with Split, so passed the baton on to him. 

Well damn...

I have heard it from JNH himself that he is working on Glass. He said, West is scoring it, but he will be doing something on the film. So there's still hope JNH will perhaps write a suite of his themes for West to use.

Screenshot_20180405-092938.png

That's quite disappointing, but @leeallen01 you might be right and maybe JNH is composing some themes and West is making the rest. Although it would be strange not to mention JHN involvement in the movie at this point in postproduction.

On 5/13/2017 at 3:56 AM, Disco Stu said:

Here's exactly what he said.  I love the part about wanting to score "Meryl Streep looking up for two minutes" or "someone floating around in space."

As always, most everything Randy says comes through about 5 layers of irony.

How strange that discussion and rumors are circulating of Meryl Streep replacing Carrie Fisher in the next Star Wars film! Randy missed his opportunity!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Clint Mansell Scoring Ben Wheatley’s ‘Colin You Anus’

Colin You Anus

Colin You Anus

Err... interesting title.  Anyway, that collaboration gave us High-Rise, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

• 2 months later...

Somehow the detail that John Carpenter himself is scoring the new Halloween movie slipped by me before now.

Very cool!  His first Halloween score since Season of the Witch and his first without Alan Howarth since the first movie.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Somehow the detail that John Carpenter himself is scoring the new Halloween movie slipped by me before now.

Very cool!  His first Halloween score since Season of the Witch and his first without Alan Howarth since the first movie.

I could have sworn I saw somewhere that he was co-composing with someone but can’t find it now. It’ll be interesting to see if he does more than just regurgitate the theme. 

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It’ll be interesting to see if he does more than just regurgitate the theme. 

Oh im expecting it to be that pretty much.  But there could be a cool new version.  Or maybe an update of Laurie’s classic theme to reflect who she is now.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think he should just let the cat write the score. I mean, cats can write some bad-ass sad-death music when they feel truly inspired:

• 3 weeks later...

Press release and tease for John Carpenter’s Halloween score.  Not much of a tease but what the hey

The new soundtrack pays homage to the classic Halloween score that Carpenter composed and recorded in 1978, when he forever changed the course of horror cinema and synthesizer music with his low-budget masterpiece. Several new versions of the iconic main theme serve as the pulse of Green's film, its familiar 5/4 refrain stabbing through the soundtrack like the Shape's knife. The rest of the soundtrack is just as enthralling, incorporating everything from atmospheric synth whooshes to eerie piano-driven pieces to skittering electronic percussion. While the new score was made with a few more resources than Carpenter's famously shoestring original, its musical spirit was preserved."

The original is the only soundtrack I love that includes film audio.  I think because the music is so simplistic it just works better with the dialogue included

I was looking for a thread about the Mulan remake, but can't seem to find it.

Does it really not exist? Oh well, I'll misuse this one then...

The composer for the new version was announced:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2018/08/22/harry-gregson-williams-to-score-disneys-mulan-live-action-movie/

Consider me excited! HGW is no Jerry Goldsmith, but at his best, he can be pretty darn good.

I hope he brings out his Sinbad level of inspiration.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had no idea Chris Bacon composed Age of Ultron cues!!  Does anybody know which ones are his?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I had no idea Chris Bacon composed Age of Ultron cues!!  Does anybody know which ones are his?

Paul Mounsey also wrote Ultron cues IIRC

• 5 weeks later...