Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - The Adventure Game

Romão

I don't know how many of you have played this game. It was released in 1989 and the interface was very similar to The Secret of Monkey Island.

The reason I'm creating this topic is because the sountrack of the game was totally based on Williams' music for the film. It was mostly MIDI based and some of it were almost direct adaptations of tracks from the original score. However, the game's soundtrack expands on several small motifs and melodic fragments that Williams used in the score, making them almost full fledged pieces.

Two particular tracks spring to mind. The first expands on the mandolin motif heard in Escape from Venice (jump to the 2:44 mark to hear the music):

The other expands on the Catacombs motif. This one is particularly effective, I think:

I just thought this was rather curious :)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a great game, but very very frustrating. And I wouldn't reccomend it to newcomers to the aventure gaming genre, but its a great play once you've accoustemed to the style of the games.

While I like it, I prefer much more Fate of Atlantis. I don't know if its maybe because of the new story, but it's one of my favorite adventure games from all times. And the music is superb too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGAtGxoqnzs

PS: I loved punching Hitler on Last Crusade :lol:

Ahh, suddenly I feel much much younger. Great times, great game. What bugs me even today: Was it really possible to get the plane in Berlin going, right next to the zeppelin? I tried for hours nearly every permutation, maybe I missed one! :) The intro with young Indy motif (or Duff's Circus) is great too, cannot get enough of it even today.

Yeah I bought this game on Steam a long time back, but the sound effects seem to be all messed up. I've heard versions that sound way better, are the different versions of this game?

Yeah I bought this game on Steam a long time back, but the sound effects seem to be all messed up. I've heard versions that sound way better, are the different versions of this game?

Several. There were versions for Amiga, Atari ST, 2x DOS (EGA & VGA), FM Towns, Macintosh and Windows. A C-64 release was planned, but ultimately the platform was already in decline and so that version got canned. The FM Towns version is the one with CD-audio music (which comes from some Disney park attraction - as brought up in some other thread - although the tracks are just re-recordings of the OST tracks... so nothing new there) and probably better sound effects as well.

Several. There were versions for Amiga, Atari ST, 2x DOS (EGA & VGA), FM Towns, Macintosh and Windows. A C-64 release was planned, but ultimately the platform was already in decline and so that version got canned. The FM Towns version is the one with CD-audio music (which comes from some Disney park attraction - as brought up in some other thread - although the tracks are just re-recordings of the OST tracks... so nothing new there) and probably better sound effects as well.

Hey thanks for the info. The version on Steam is absolute shit. I really need to track down that FM Towns version you speak of.

Wow, I used to play Fate of Atlantis all the time! This brings back some great mmemories :)

My favorite was the old SNES game that featured all 3 films.

I liked it, but I thought it was really difficult. The frustration factor was too high for me to really enjoy it in the end...

I also preferred FOA over LC, probably because you know how LC ends - you didn't know where FOA was going.

and, good lord, I actually thought that sounded good back when I made that FOA mp3 soundtrack:P

I also preferred FOA over LC, probably because you know how LC ends - you didn't know where FOA was going.

and, good lord, I actually thought that sounded good back when I made that FOA mp3 soundtrack:P

Oh, Kenneth, haven't heard from you in quite a while :)

BTW, I'm Laserschwert over at Mojo (and of course "LucasArts Soundracks") ;) And maybe you've heard my take on TIE Fighter? That's still an old version over there, which uses Garritan Personal Orchestra 4. I've switched to EWQLSO Gold now (still waiting for the package to arrive) and will try to do TIE justice once and for all :)

oh, hey:) I still lurk at Lucasforums now and then. EWQLSO is certainly a step up from GPO imo, and I applaud you for doing a TIE soundtrack - I stopped trying to make one, since it was a pain pieceing together all those small midi snippets, and they made my sequencer crash:/

@JanBing: I've "only" the silver edition, but I think I'll upgrade it in some time, because some articulations and instruments are missing:-)