Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life

TownerFan

Never been a Desplat fan, and the clips did nothing for me.

BUT....I'm very excited about the film itself! Malick always delivers.

The best thing about Polanski's The Ghost Writer is Alexander Desplat so I have faith the music of The Three Of Life won't disappoint. However, I bet the best moments of the film will be Malick using classical music, you'll see.

Alex

The best thing about Polanski's The Ghost Writer is Alexander Desplat so I have faith the music of The Three Of Life won't disappoint. However, I bet the best moments of the film will be Malick using classical music, you'll see.

THE GHOST WRITER is one of Desplat's efforts I have LEAST issue with, but that's mostly because there's not a lot of music. It's well-spotted, and that's really the best part of the music. I love that film, but the music is really the last thing I would mention as the reason for its excellence.

Sounds interesting. Very restrained, even for Desplat, but that can be a good thing. Being great fan of TRL (the score) I am certainly going to check this one out.

Started out interesting, but it lost me when it changed to primarily piano. Classically flavoured music often does little for me because it lacks emotional direction that you get with repeated motifs.

I will give a listen sure. But it might end up being way to elusive for my tastes.

Karol - who didn't this film marks a return a big of Douglas Trumbull

Started out interesting, but it lost me when it changed to primarily piano. Classically flavoured music often does little for me because it lacks emotional direction and you get with repeated motifs.

I'll match your generalisation about classical with another: emotion is generally implicit in classical. It's there, you've just gotta be in the right head space to feel it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the full source music listing used in Tree of Life--I guess it's taken from the film's end credits or from the pressbook:

“Funeral Canticle”

Written by John Tavener and Mother Thekla

Performed by George Mosley, Paul Goodwin

and the Academy of Ancient Music

Courtesy of Harmonia Mundi USA

“Cosmic Beam Take 5”

Written and Performed by Francesco Lupica

Courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation

“Symphony No. 1”

Written by Gustav Mahler

Performed by the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Michael Halász

Courtesy of Naxos

By arrangement with Source/Q

“Morning Prayers”

Written by Giya Kancheli

Courtesy of ECM Records

“Faunophonia Balkanica”

Written, Performed and Produced by Arsenije Jovanovic

Courtesy of Arsenije Jovanovic

“Wind Pipes”

Written and Performed by Michael Baird

Courtesy of Sharp Wood Records

“Approaching”

“Ta Há 1”

Written and Performed by Klaus Wiese

Courtesy of Aquamarin Verlag GmbH, Germany

“Snapshot from the Island”

Written and Performed by Tibor Szemzo

Courtesy of Leo Records

“Lacrimosa 2”

Composed by Zbigniew Preisner

Performed by Elzbieta Towarnicka (soprano) and the Sinfonia Varsovia

and the Varsov Chamber Choir, conducted by Jacek Kaspszyk

Courtesy of New Music B.V.

“Ascending and Descending”

Written by David Hykes

Performed by David Hykes and The Harmonic Choir

Courtesy of Harmonic Presence Foundation

“Resurrection in Hades”

Written by John Tavener and Mother Thekla

Performed by Joseph Jennings and the Chanticleer Choir and Chorus

Courtesy of Warner Classics

By arrangement with Warner Music Group Film & TV Licensing

“Berlioz: 7. Domine Jesu Christe [Requiem Op. 5 (Grande Messe des Morts)]”

Performed by Wandsworth School Boys Choir, London Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis

Courtesy of Decca Music Group Ltd.

Under license from Universal Music Enterprises

“Siciliana Da Antiche Danze Ed Arie Suite III”

Written by Ottorino Respighi

Performed by the National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland Conducted by Rico Saccani

Courtesy of Naxos

By Arrangement with Source/Q

“Hymn to Dionysus”

Composed by Gustav Holst

Performed by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus

Courtesy of Unicorn-Kanchana Records

“My Country –Vltava (The Moldau)”

Composed by Bedrich Smetana

Performed by Vaclav Smetacek and

The Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

Courtesy of SUPRAPHON

“Brahms: 2. Andante moderato [symphony No. 4 in E minor, Op. 98]”

Performed by Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan

Courtesy of Deutsche Grammophon GmbH, Hamburg

“Symphony No. 3”

Written by Henryk Górecki

Performed by the Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Antoni Wit

Courtesy of Naxos

By Arrangement with Source/Q

“Pièces de clavecin, Book II 6e Ordre N5:Les Barricades Mistérieuses

Written by Francois Couperin (1668-1733)

Performed by Angela Hewitt

Courtesy of Hyperion Records Ltd.

“J.S Bach: Fugue [Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565]”

Performed by Helmut Walcha

Courtesy of Deutsche Grammophon, GmbH, Hamburg

“The Well-Tempered Clavier”

Written by Johann Sebastian Bach

Performed by Jenő Jandó

Courtesy of Naxos

By arrangement with Source/Q

“Pièces de clavecin, Book II 6e Ordre N5:

Les Barricades Mistérieuses

Written by Francois Couperin

Performed by Hanan Townshend

Courtesy of Hanan Townshend

“Hymn 87: Welcome Happy Morning”

"Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition - Promenade - The Tuileries - Bydio (Piano Version)"

Performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy

“Schumann: 1. Allegro affettuoso [Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 54]”

Performed by Martha Argerich, Gewandhausorchester, Leipzig, Riccardo Chailly

Under license from Univesral Music Enterprises

“Klangschalen 2”

Written and Performed by Klaus Wiese

Courtesy of Akasha, Germany

“Eternal Pulse”

Written and Performed by Hanan Townshend

“After the Rain: Antiphon”

Written by Barry Guy

Performed by Richard Hickox and the City of London Sinfonia

Courtesy of NMC Recordings

“Harold in Italy”

Written by Hector Berlioz

Performed by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra conducted by Yoav Talmi

Courtesy of Naxos

By Arrangement with Source/Q 42

“Piano Sonata No.16 in C Major K. 545”

Composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Performed by Jim Lynch

“Siciliana Da Antiche Danze Ed Arie Suite III”

Written by Ottorino Respighi

Courtesy of Hanan Towhnshend

“Lacrimosa 2”

Written by Zbigniew Preisner

“Berlioz: 10. Agnus Dei [Requiem, Op. 5 (Grande Messe des Morts)]”

Performed by Wandsworth School Boys Choir, London Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis

“Sound Testament of Mount Athos”

“Ma Maison”

--------

Looks like a history of classical music, from Bach to Tavener while going through Brahms and Mahler. Cool. I wonder how much of Desplat's original score survived the final cut.

I've seen the film yesterday (it opened on Wednesday here in Italy).

Visually gorgeous and incredibly powerful on many levels, but somehow scattered and cold in places. Looks like Malick wanted to make a Philosophy class through the language of the visual poem.

On the music side, there's a great use of classical music. It looks like Malick completely scrapped almost all of Desplat's original score, however. I only recognized a couple of brief cues of him and nothing more.

It'll probably be the next 2001 in terms of dialogue to running time.

In a word: no. While there are several influences from 2001, Malick's film imho doesn't achieve the same status. It surely strikes some deep chord in the same vein, but Malick seems interested in a different path. Kubrick's film is a journey toward the boundaries of human knowledge, but it's constructed as a Myth's tale (like the movie's title itself says). Malick's film instead wants to explore the turmoils and struggles of the human journey through the lens of a very hard-edged spiritual/religious credo (very Calvinist-like, I'd say). It's a very heavy movie in this sense.

Keep in mind that 2001 is my own all-time favourite movie, so I'm probably partial to it.

In a word: no. While there are several influences from 2001, Malick's film imho doesn't achieve the same status. It surely strikes some deep chord in the same vein, but Malick seems interested in a different path. Kubrick's film is a journey toward the boundaries of human knowledge, but it's constructed as a Myth's tale (like the movie's title itself says). Malick's film instead wants to explore the turmoils and struggles of the human journey through the lens of a very hard-edged spiritual/religious credo (very Calvinist-like, I'd say). It's a very heavy movie in this sense.

Keep in mind that 2001 is my own all-time favourite movie, so I'm probably partial to it.

I doubt there's anything revelatory on this film. Its philosophy is very simple, from what I can remember from the script. It got me thinking on the role of cooperation in the evolution of life.

Jeez, Koray.

Anyway, The Tree Of Life won first price (Palme D'or) at the Cannes Film Festival. Second price (Grand Prix) went to the Belgian Darnenne brothers for Le Gamin Au Vélo which makes them the most awarded filmmakers at Cannes.

I don't expect revelatory message from this film. All I want is an intoxicating orgy of image and sound.

Karol

What happened to your need for a balanced movie where story, characters and images are equally responsible for driving or making up the movie?

Oh I so want to see it. :( They don't make good films despicting seriously the deep geological past very often.

It's out here in Belgium but I'm waiting for the extended cut on Blu-ray. ;)

What happened to your need for a balanced movie where story, characters and images are equally responsible for driving the movie?

Let's just say I want that mainly from blockbusters and films that generally need that sort of thing. I never said cinema is all that.

Karol

I see. I never got that from all the times we spoke about this subject. Normally, I talk about film in general. It sounds a bit formulaic to me that a movie, a genre or even a blockbuster should always have the same driving force or should each time use the same building blocks.

BTW, Koray, a lot of people compared Enter The Void to A Space Odyssey as well.

I don't expect revelatory message from this film. All I want is an intoxicating orgy of image and sound.

You'll get that, don't worry. The first part of the film is a truly remarkable piece in this sense and probably the closest thing to 2001's "Ultimate Trip" you can get.

Thinking more about this film is making me appreciate it more and more. It truly lasts inside yourself well after the vision.

I see. I never got that from all the times we spoke about this subject.

Yes, but notice I never complained about plot in something like Blade Runner. It's the least intersting and important part of that film. And, to be honest, the story is... just there. I wouldn't go over the moon just by reading script.

The first part of the film is a truly remarkable piece in this sense and probably the closest thing to 2001's "Ultimate Trip" you can get.

Can't wait. I've never head a chance to experience a film like this on big screen. I know 2001 only from my DVD.

This wasn't in my radar till very recently. Must find out when it comes out here.

What's the release date for UK btw?

Karol

Yes, but notice I never complained about plot in something like Blade Runner. It's the least intersting and important part of that film. And, to be honest, the story is... just there. I wouldn't go over the moon just by reading script.

In that case, I take it that you don't want it from blockbusters (successful or not) either. ;)

The first part of the film is a truly remarkable piece in this sense and probably the closest thing to 2001's "Ultimate Trip" you can get.

Can't wait. I've never head a chance to experience a film like this on big screen. I know 2001 only from my DVD.

Being able to simply experience Malick in a theater is a rare treat.

Which is why Alex no longer has any desire to see it, of course.

Oh no, like I said, I'm waiting for the Blu-ray which I will buy as soon as it's available. I can't watch it in theaters because watching half of the audience leave would be a distraction.

robduvall.jpg

I hate the smell of popcorn in the cinemas.