Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life

TownerFan

I know exactly what you mean. Unless it's a throwaway entertainment flick like Thor, I HATE having to share the cinema with the chav scum and their noises.

Mind you, I'd have thought the sort of folk who go to see Tree of Life will be like-minded, so I'll take my chances.

Only the chosen one can endure this!

I am never distracted in cinema. And even if I was I don't want to miss this one.

Karol

I'll watch this film in a 4 days at the cinema and really can't wait.

One question to those who have seen it:

Does it use a lot of classical music as in other Mallick films?

Or is it only the Desplat score?

Edit: Oh, never mind. I just saw the first page..

Although, if it uses all those pieces, what is left for Desplat? anyway..

In the final cut, almost nothing of Desplat's original score survives. The film is scored completely with pre-existing music. I recognized only a couple of brief cues and nothing more. I'm very curious to hear the OST album now.

I am never distracted in cinema.

Sure, because you're the distractor ... with your plate of nachos and that bucket of popcorn! You think you own the theater!

In the final cut, almost nothing of Desplat's original score survives. The film is scored completely with pre-existing music. I recognized only a couple of brief cues and nothing more. I'm very curious to hear the OST album now.

OMG! poor Desplat! I wouldn't like something like this to happen to me..

i wonder why on earth Mallick hires them since he's gonna stick to his classical music pieces after all...

Money for nothing...

OMG! poor Desplat! I wouldn't like something like this to happen to me..

i wonder why on earth Mallick hires them since he's gonna stick to his classical music pieces after all...

Money for nothing...

Not at all. Malick is very particular about his marriage of music and sound. He uses classical music to edit to, and that's why he mostly keeps those pieces in the the final cut. Maurizio, have you not heard the album? If no, then how can you be sure there were only two pieces by Desplat in the film?

I know it is far from being the main focus of the film, but how did Mallick handle the Creation and Dinosaur scenes? CGI? I'm bursting with curiosity how he handles elements he can't film physically

Sure, because you're the distractor ... with your plate of nachos and that bucket of popcorn! You think you own the theater!

Crunch, munch, munch, om nom nom, gulp-gulp.... burp!

Karol

I know it is far from being the main focus of the film, but how did Mallick handle the Creation and Dinosaur scenes? CGI? I'm bursting with curiosity how he handles elements he can't film physically

The script states "CGI" when it jumps to these.

You think you own the theater!

We kinda do, I mean, we pay for the tickets [EDIT:] and concessions [END EDIT], which I am sure plays a part in keeping the theatre open

Almost all of the ticket money goes right back to the studis. Theaters make almost all their money from concession sales

Yes, and the poor underpaid concession peeps are the ones who gets all the shit from the customer.

I'll take a bag of Twizzlers.

$4.50

What?! This is absolutely ridiculous! How can you do this?

No one's forcing you to buy it fuck tard, but you'll complain and then buy it anyway and thus feed the thing you hate. Prices wouldn't be so high if people didn't cave in.

Sorry, had a little flashback there :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have no desire to see the dullish looking film about a person with no self worth trying to find his reason for his pitiful existance. Make him fat and put him on the show the Biggest Loser.

I knew there would be an extended cut, but not this extended!

I still want to read the script so I can understand the ending better.

Even though I haven't seen it I think this would be too extended.

I saw this film a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it, however there is no need for a 6 hour version. The film is fine the way it is and perfectly conveys itself within its current parameters.

Anything longer would be repetitious and unnecessary, unless there was some major plot point that was excised that would add to the overall theme or change the actual telling of the film.

Tim

Yes, six hours would be excessive. While I liked the film a lot, I would not even take the time to watch a cut that long. The film began to test my patience as a two hour film. Jeez, if it was six...

All of Malick's films usually start at around 6 hours in length. Takes him years to edit them down.

I don't think we'll see the version being discussed here, but I'm expecting something around 3 hours when the Blu comes out. There was, what looked liked, a great scene in the trailer, that was absent from the final cut. The brother's ear being burned was never clearly explained. I believe mini Sean Penn set fire to something (shown in the trailer) and burned his brother. In the final cut, the scene was cut down to literally a single frame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The film is out on Blu today. I watched it earlier tonight, and was completely entranced.

There was a wealth of information and detail that I picked up that went over my head upon my theatrical viewing. Unfortunately there are no special features aside from a 30-minute featurette, which has Nolan, Fincher, and most of the cast and crew discussing their experience. Even squeezed Desplat in at the end for a few words.

The Lacrimosa sequence is, simply put, one of the greatest things I've ever seen. The film opens with you to turn your volume all the way up just like with The Thin Red Line. Gotta love Malick.

A cinema here changed your ticket for a different film if you got out before half an hour.

The Lacrimosa sequence is, simply put, one of the greatest things I've ever seen. The film opens with you to turn your volume all the way up just like with The Thin Red Line. Gotta love Malick.

When we see for the first time planets casting shadows around the very young stars I was deeply moved.

I also liked the beginning of the sequence with the mother wondering where was God, and suddenly BLAM.

I highly recommend anyone who has seen the film to check out the making of featurette. The way they filmed some of those space sequences is mind-boggling. The kids never read the script and their wardrobe was whatever they happened to be wearing that day. Their audition tapes were pretty much just to talk to Jessica Chastain randomly while being filmed.

• 1 year later...

Tree of Life is going to be reedited into a longer version.

OMG wasn't it long enough the first time. as in too long.

I've never seen the film but I'll wait for this release. I hope it will be more than six hours.

I know you're being sarcastic but I can guarantee this new cut won't be that long.

I don't think there's any need. It's a marvelously looking film with some interesting ideas.

Karol

There's very little need, but the missing material was noticeable to me and I think its inclusion will flesh it out much better. Based on the description that Jay posted, it seems like he'll add in the fire scene, or what he refers to as the "loss of innocence." I said this back when the film came out, but the scene is in the trailer and in the theatrical cut it was cut down to a single shot.

Now if only PTA would but back those missing scenes in The Master. That one doesn't feel complete.