• Announcements

• Andreas

Migration complete   11/26/16

Hi JWFAN.COM members,   FINAL UPDATE:   The migration is complete. - Switch to the new webserver - Install the latest wordpress and invisionboard updates - You can use https to use this website.
      (Warning: You will see a error message that some elements are not secure.
      This is normal. The most links/pictures use a normal http connection. And this elements are un-secure. But when you use a website like this: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/login/ Without any external links the website is 100% secure and https This is optinal, you can use http without any problems!   Please use this topic for any new bugs, performance problems or other comments:  
      Andreas (Admin)   ----   UPDATA 2: Server migration in the next few hours.     Update: The migration need more time.   5-11. Dec. 2016.   The server is ready, a dedicated system:   Intel Xeon® E3-1225v3 Quad-Core 32 GB DDR3 RAM 2x 512 GB SSD   New os: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Plesk Onyx Management system
      Server backup 250 GB, not the same datacenter. External backup   Server location: DataDock in Strasbourg
      Fully redundant MPLS ring structure with a total capacity of 550 Gbit/s Core backbone Frankfurt-Strasbourg: 100 Gbit, Deutsche Telekom: 17x 10Gbit,
      Level(3): 10x 10Gbit, TeliaSonera: 8x 10Gbit, Cogent: 5x 10Gbit, Telefónica: 3x 10Gbit,
      DE-CIX: 6 x 10Gbit, ECIX: 6 x 10 Gbit Uptime 99.99%  (Network)     server migration next weekend.
      3 or 4. Dec. 2016.   I post a update when I start the migration.
      JWFAN.COM is offline for 3-4 hours.   Andreas  
BloodBoal

SCORE: BBC Robin Hood - Andy Price

44 posts in this topic

I actually thought the OST was a very nice listening experience. I definitely appreciated some of the smaller, less important cues being included.

Your review really highlights that despite the little time TV composers often have, their work is incredibly detailed. You clearly have a passion for this score :)

And I too was bummed that there were no further releases. I would guess that maybe the declining ratings dissuaded them from bothering to release more.

I did a few rips myself (ages ago, I need to redo them - yours have much better clarity), of the closing cues for all 3 seasons, and particularly the final few cues from Season 3 are spectacular.

A very good analysis Bloodboal. And not too long at all. And it is in the right section of the MB as well as the Reviews contains analysis and reviews alike. Sadly I have never had the chance to see the show outside the pilot but I have heard the original soundtrack which is incredibly good TV scoring. Your thematic analysis will be most enlightening when I listen to it next time. :)

P.S. Looking forward to the rest of the analysis.

:music: Journey Home

Robin Hood TV music at its finest!

Corrected. ;)

It's good, considering, but I don't see how it compares to Korngold, Barry or even Kamen's contributions.

I'm not familiar with this music, but an interesting read nontheless. :)

Karol

I actually thought the OST was a very nice listening experience. I definitely appreciated some of the smaller, less important cues being included.

Well, I admit it, I like the smaller cues, but if I called them "dull", it is in comparison to what was left out of the album. It's one of those CDs where you think "Yeah, it's good, but the unreleased stuff is (way) better". Give me Escape From The Castle over Scaling The Walls any time!

I did a few rips myself (ages ago, I need to redo them - yours have much better clarity), of the closing cues for all 3 seasons, and particularly the final few cues from Season 3 are spectacular.

:thumbup:

A very good analysis Bloodboal. And not too long at all. And it is in the right section of the MB as well as the Reviews contains analysis and reviews alike. Sadly I have never had the chance to see the show outside the pilot but I have heard the original soundtrack which is incredibly good TV scoring. Your thematic analysis will be most enlightening when I listen to it next time. :)

P.S. Looking forward to the rest of the analysis.

Well, I don't consider it a review, because all I'm saying through my original post is "that score is great" or "amazing" or "mindblowing". That's no real analysis, is it?;)

You should try to watch the show sometimes. It's pretty good. I find the first part of the first season to be horrendous (the pilot in particular. I'm glad it wasn't the first episode I saw, else I would have given up on the show and would have missed all that music!), but it does get better: the second part of season one is decent, and the second season is quite a fun ride. Season 3 finale is worth seeing, too.

:music: Journey Home

You're only at the second track?! Come on, faster! Give me some Outlaws or Gisborne's Trap

Corrected. ;)

Well, there isn't much competition, is it? The only other Robin Hood TV shows I can think of right now are "Robin Of Sherwood" and "The New Adventures Of Robin Hood", and from what I've heard, these scores have not much to offer.

It's good, considering, but I don't see how it compares to Korngold, Barry or even Kamen's contributions.

Are you saying this only based on the OST, or also the unreleased cues?

If it is based on the OST, then I can understand your point, and I would kind of agree.

If it is based on the OST AND the unreleased cues, then I disagree. I'll rate the complete score above Kamen's score (which I absolutely love, by the way), and Barry's one (need to re-listen to that one, though, don't remember it much). I have yet to listen to Korngold's score.:o

If you haven't listened to the unreleased cues, do so! Like I say in my original post, The Return Of The Nightwatchman ,damnit!

I'm not familiar with this music, but an interesting read nontheless. :)

Karol

Did you listen to the OST?

Corrected. ;)

Well, there isn't much competition, is it? The only other Robin Hood TV shows I can think of right now are "Robin Of Sherwood" and "The New Adventures Of Robin Hood", and from what I've heard, this score have not much to offer.

But this does, I'd agree. Though I'd restrain from overselling just yet. I've listened to many tracks, and I'm only mildly impressed.

Are you saying this only based on the OST, or also the unreleased cues?

If it is based on the OST, then I can understand your point, and I would kind of agree.

If it is based on the OST AND the unreleased cues, then I disagree. I'll rate the complete score above Kamen's score (which I absolutely love, by the way), and Barry's one (need to re-listen to that one, though, don't remember it much). I have yet to listen to Korngold's score.:o

If you haven't listened to the unreleased cues, do so! Like I say in my original post, The Return Of The Nightwatchman ,damnit!

I love your enthusiasm, but I'm not as bowled as you are. 'The Return Of The Nightwatchmen' often struck me as a terrific approximation of John Williams and several others (Henry Mancini's LIFEFORCE came to mind), mostly within those idiomatic chord progressions and use of orchestral colours. I dig the return of the main theme as well - great "F yeah, bring in on bitches!" moment, that's so often missing in modern film and television scores.

It's growing on me, but I think I'll find very hard to put this voiceless Andy Price guy's score up there with iconic, soul stirring works of Eric Wolfgang Korngold, Michael Kamen and the late John Barry (this one's got to be my favourite, and I think it's mix of romantic melancholy, angular brutality, and wistful nostalgia is what does. One of the finest films and scores on that often neglected part of the human experience - old age).

In fact, I think putting this score above any Barry work is an insult (Ok, maybe I'll accept one or two - but still). Even this series's splendid main theme - owes a hell of a lot to John Barry (and John Williams's SUPERMAN too).

Well, there isn't much competition, is it? The only other Robin Hood TV shows I can think of right now are "Robin Of Sherwood" and "The New Adventures Of Robin Hood", and from what I've heard, these scores have not much to offer.

But this does, I'd agree. Though I'd restrain from overselling just yet. I've listened to many tracks, and I'm only mildly impressed.

Well, "mildly impressed" is better that "not impressed at all", I guess...;)

I love your enthusiasm, but I'm not as bowled as you are. 'The Return Of The Nightwatchmen' often struck me as a terrific approximation of John Williams and several others (Henry Mancini's LIFEFORCE came to mind), mostly within those idiomatic chord progressions and use of orchestral colours. I dig the return of the main theme as well - great "F yeah, bring in on bitches!" moment, that's so often missing in modern film and television scores.

It's growing on me, but I think I'll find very hard to put this voiceless Andy Price guy's score up there with iconic, soul stirring works of Eric Wolfgang Korngold, Michael Kamen and the late John Barry (this one's got to be my favourite, and I think it's mix of romantic melancholy, angular brutality, and wistful nostalgia is what does. One of the finest films and scores on that often neglected part of the human experience - old age).

In fact, I think putting this score above any Barry work is an insult (Ok, maybe I'll accept one or two - but still). Even this series's splendid main theme - owes a hell of a lot to John Barry (and John Williams's SUPERMAN too).

I'll admit that I can get a bit overenthusiastic with this score. This is my "favourite" Robin Hood score, if you prefer me to put it that way. BUT, even though "best" and "favourite" can be dissociated (for example, you can prefer a score to another, and still admit that the other is the better one), in a way, you'll always consider your favourites scores to be the "bests" you've heard because, well, you love them the most. Know what I mean?:eh:

Do you know which order the released and unreleased tracks go in if you'd want to put them all into a complete(-ish) edition?

Do you know which order the released and unreleased tracks go in if you'd want to put them all into a complete(-ish) edition?

In blue are OST tracks, in red are unreleased tracks:

1. Encounter In The Forest
  2. Robin Hood Theme
  3. Run, Master! Run!
  4. Journey Home
  5. Battling With The Farmer
  6. Locksley
  7. Earl Of Huntington
  8. Marian's Theme
  9. Your Eyes
  10. Two Mothers
  11. Rescue
  12. The Sheriff's Ride
  13. A Legend Is Born
  14. The Sheriff Gets His Man
  15. Little Little John
  16. Scaling The Walls
  17. Outlaws
  18. Escape From The Castle
  19. From The Rich To The Poor
  20. Chasing The Nightwatchman
  21. Flush Him Out
  22. Proving His Innocence
  23. Setting The Trap
  24. A Noble Deed
  25. Gisborne's Trap
  26. Shooting Pies
  27. Chase In The Forest
  28. Robin And Marian
  29. Marian's Punishment
  30. Where Is She?
  31. Him I Liked
  32. Different Directions
  33. Silver Arrow
  34. Gisborne Woos Marian
  35. The Sheriff's Trap
  36. Robin Rowan
  37. The Tax Collector
  38. Marian's Helpful Hand
  39. Battle In The Courtyard
  40. Dirty Money
  41. Lucky George
  42. Trickster
  43. Robin And His Maid
  44. The Nightwatchman
  45. A Simple Cart
  46. He Is My Brother
  47. He Is My Brother II
  48. Plan/Knocking Down The Guards/The Sheriff's Fanfare
  49. The Hanging
  50. The Lost Necklace
  51. No Way Out
  52. A Love That Cannot Be
  53. I Never Told Her I Loved Her
  54. Robin Hood End Credits

Brilliant; thanks very much! I'm looking forward to listening to this at some point. :D

In blue are OST tracks, in red are unreleased tracks:

1. Encounter In The Forest
  2. Robin Hood Theme
  3. Run, Master! Run!
  4. Journey Home
  5. Battling With The Farmer
  6. Locksley
  7. Earl Of Huntington
  8. Marian's Theme
  9. Your Eyes
  10. Two Mothers
  11. Rescue
  12. The Sheriff's Ride
  13. A Legend Is Born
  14. The Sheriff Gets His Man
  15. Little Little John
  16. Scaling The Walls
  17. Outlaws
  18. Escape From The Castle
  19. From The Rich To The Poor
  20. Chasing The Nightwatchman
  21. Flush Him Out
  22. Proving His Innocence
  23. Setting The Trap
  24. A Noble Deed
  25. Gisborne's Trap
  26. Shooting Pies
  27. Chase In The Forest
  28. Robin And Marian
  29. Marian's Punishment
  30. Where Is She?
  31. Him I Liked
  32. Different Directions
  33. Silver Arrow
  34. Gisborne Woos Marian
  35. The Sheriff's Trap
  36. Robin Rowan
  37. The Tax Collector
  38. Marian's Helpful Hand
  39. Battle In The Courtyard
  40. Dirty Money
  41. Lucky George
  42. Trickster
  43. Robin And His Maid
  44. The Nightwatchman
  45. A Simple Cart
  46. He Is My Brother
  47. He Is My Brother II
  48. Plan/Knocking Down The Guards/The Sheriff's Fanfare
  49. The Hanging
  50. The Lost Necklace
  51. No Way Out
  52. A Love That Cannot Be
  53. I Never Told Her I Loved Her
  54. Robin Hood End Credits

Looks familliar ;)

:lol:

That was completely unintentional! Seriously, I didn't know what you were referring to when I first read your post. But then I did some research and stumbled upon your Back To The Future - Part II review. I did read it once, but I had completely forgotten it when doing the chronological list in my previous post. That is the truth!

Its ok, I believe you, I almost forgot I made a review myself!

I've updated the main post with a new "upgraded" analysis of the original soundtrack. I've also added themes analyses as well as time stamps for those themes.

Finally, I added a link to a PDF version of this analysis, which makes for a more comfortable read. You'll find the link around the beginning of the main post (or if you're too lazy to look for it, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/view/3s9npzeg7fh93p0/The_Music_Of_Robin_Hood.pdf. Beware! It contains spoilers on the first season of the show!)

To be honest, most of them are actually motives rather than themes, and for the most part, they appear in only one episode. The reason is that during the first season, the show works with a "character of the day" routine. Each episode introduces a new character (which gave Price the opportunity to write a theme for each and everyone of them) who is related to the main plot of the episode, but at the end of the episode, when the plot is wrapped up, that character generally disappears, never to be seen again (so, unfortunately, it prevented Price from developing those themes/motives outside of that particular episode).

There are only seven major musical ideas (which appear in multiple episodes), really: Robin's theme, Marian's theme, Gisborne's theme, the Sheriff's theme, the Outlaws' motif, Locksley's theme and Nottingham's motif.

Once again corrected the main post: what I thought was a separate theme (Gisborne's seduction theme) is actually just the first phrase of Gisborne's theme.

I also had missed a statement of Marian's secondary theme.

Finally finished my analysis of Season One Complete score. I originally wanted to post it in the main post, but it ended up being a lot longer than expected, so I just posted a short presentation of that score and the themes introduced in each episodes in the Season One Complete Score section, as well as links to all the music from Season One available on Andy Price website.

If you're too lazy to search the link, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/view/ct6222i5scvz75y/The_Music_Of_Robin_Hood_-_Season_One.pdf

It includes:

- About The Composer: a few info about Andy Price.
- About The Score: a few words by Andy Price about the score.
- About Season One Complete Score: a brief presentation of the score (how much material was recorded, a few words about the themes, etc.).
- The Themes Of Robin Hood: a presentation of all the themes from Season One, with a list of all the statements of each theme.
- Track-By-Track Analysis: a brief description of the scenes during which each track is playing, with a thematic breakdown for each track. Also included are links to every available unreleased cue.
- Tracklist: pretty self-explanatory.
- Credits: same.

In case one of the Copyright Nazi's see this, what is in his main post is a PDF, not a rar or anything.

Hey I usually investigate before I castigate!

Updated the main post with my analysis of Season Two complete score. Like for Season One, I just posted a short presentation of that score and the themes introduced in each episodes in the Season Two Complete Score section, as well as links to all the music from Season Two available on Andy Price website.

If you're too lazy to search the link, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/view/2onz255zkzzqede/The%20Music%20Of%20Robin%20Hood%20-%20Season%20Two.pdf

It includes:

- About Season Two Complete Score: a brief presentation of the score (how much material was recorded, a few words about the themes, etc.).
- The Themes Of Robin Hood: a presentation of all the themes from Season Two, with a list of all the statements of each theme.
- Track-By-Track Analysis: a brief description of the scenes during which each track is playing, with a thematic breakdown for each track. Also included are links to every available unreleased cue.
- Credits: same.

I also updated my analysis of Season One complete score because I recently found out that Dinner With Prince Malik (a cue from Episode 10) was actually taken from a score Price wrote for a documentary: David Starkey's Elizabeth. It is available on the third track of the OST called Family Portrait. You can listen to it here:

It's also available on Price's website here: http://www.movingima...th_portrait.mp3

Also, I now believe it's quite probable the other cue in that episode, Al Shu'jaan, also comes from another score, because I doubt they would have bothered recording just one source music cue for an episode (yes, they did only record one cue for Episode 12, but it was for an important scene. That's not the case here). I haven't found where it comes from yet, though.
And finally, I think it might also be the case with the other source music cues of this season (The Sheriff's Fair and Eleri's Wedding).

Updated the main post with my analysis of Season Three complete score. Like for the previous seasons, I just posted a short presentation of that score and the themes introduced in each episodes in the Season Three Complete Score section, as well as links to all the music from Season Three available on Andy Price website.

If you're too lazy to search the link, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/view/fbqt5j2wb1dtkc8/The_Music_Of_Robin_Hood_-_Season_Three.pdf

It includes:

- About Season Three Complete Score: a brief presentation of the score (how much material was recorded, a few words about the themes, etc.).
- The Themes Of Robin Hood: a presentation of all the themes from Season Three, with a list of all the statements of each theme.

- Last Words: Season Four And Beyond...: A few thoughts on how the score for the fourth season of the show could have turned out.
- Credits: pretty self-explanatory.

I also added links to videos containing the complete scores of all the episodes of the show (well, those that had music written for them). You'll find them in the About Season One/Two/Three Complete Score sections.

My work here is done!

Incanus likes this

Well I have to tip my pointy wizard hat to you for your work! I can't wait to delve into all this BB! Excellent work! :)

Gotta fill the void you left when you decided to take a year off and stopped posting reviews! I mean, your last review was posted in May 2013! WTF, man?

People are waiting for your The Chamber Of Secrets and An Unexpected Journey reviews!

Gotta fill the void you left when you decided to take a year off and stopped posting reviews! I mean, your last review was posted in May 2013! WTF, man?

People are waiting for your The Chamber Of Secrets and An Unexpected Journey reviews!

Blame my normal working life and a steady job and studies and... the list goes on! I finished my studies so I guess I have a bit more time. Hopefully I have enough time to finish AUJ review before Doug releases his book. Knowing that it is coming makes it a bit daunting to continue though. He'll blow me out of the water!

We've scared him off too many times now. I don't think he's ever coming back!

Fantastic review! I'm not ashamed to say that it was partly down to this score that I got into film music in the first place - for some reason it really stood out to my 13 year old self who had previously had little interest even in orchestral music in general. I'm incredibly surprised that Andy Price didn't get more work off the back of this; what producer/director could listen to this and not want him for their own project?

I'm incredibly surprised that Andy Price didn't get more work off the back of this; what producer/director could listen to this and not want him for their own project?

Yeah, it is a bit strange he seems to have some difficulties finding new assignments, when other composers who have written lesser scores have no problem finding a job.

I'm guessing it might have to do with the fact that the show wasn't hugely popular. It did OK, I guess, but it certainly was no big hit, so that didn't give Price that much exposure, I suppose. A shame, really.

I'm incredibly surprised that Andy Price didn't get more work off the back of this; what producer/director could listen to this and not want him for their own project?

Yeah, it is a bit strange he seems to have some difficulties finding new assignments, when other composers who have written lesser scores have no problem finding a job.

I'm guessing it might have to do with the fact that the show wasn't hugely popular. It did OK, I guess, but it certainly was no big hit, so that didn't give Price that much exposure, I suppose. A shame, really.

It is the people you know BB. Price must be terrible at making connections or something...

Oh and there is a bit of a competition out there in the film composer circuit I hear.

I would be glad to hear more from him.

Oh and there is a bit of a competition out there in the film composer circuit I hear.

Of course, I was referring to TV music rather than film music. I'm not sure if the competition is as ferocious in the TV music industry.