Lapti Nek and other Source Music

Jilal

Lapti Nek

There are three versions of Lapti Nek:

The film version

The original English version

The album version

The English version is heard in two documentaries: From Star Wars to Jedi and Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi.

The film version is heard in the film and in From Star Wars to Jedi.

It seems that JW wrote the song, as the narrator in Classic Creatures says: "Composer John Williams wrote the music, his son Joseph wrote the lyrics".

Sadly the Huttese film version overdub and the original English version have never been commercially released. Some people say that when they used the master tapes for these two documentaries, they broke. This is not true however: Mike Mattessino himself said that they were out there, but George did not bother searching for them, because the songs were not used in the special edition.

The Palace Source Music and the Sail Barge Source Music

These two cues are composed by John Williams and play just before Chewie is taken to prison and on Jabba's Sail Barge. The latter has no sound effects in the rear channels. The first one is used in a documentary (FSWtJ), in the Soundboards and ofcourse in the film. These two tracks also have not been commercially released because of the same reason Lapti Nek wasn't commercially released.

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIq0IE8Svh0

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Here is a long article chronicling the different incarnations of Lapti Nek:

Lapti Nek theStar Wars Disco Hit that Never Was

Did anyone saved a copy of that article? I can't seem to find it on my collection of saved articles and the link isn't working anymore :(

John Williams composed the palace source music and the sail barge source music (AKA the "Max Rebo Band" music)?

I thought his son, Joseph, composed those two source cues.

I was not referring to Lapti Nek.

I was referring to the Max Rebo Band source music.

Did John Williams compose those two source cues, or did his son, Joseph, compose them?

I was not referring to Lapti Nek.

I was referring to the Max Rebo Band source music.

Did John Williams compose those two source cues, or did his son, Joseph, compose them?

Do you mean the music that plays on the sail barge as it travels towards the Sarlacc pit? As far as I know, it was composed by John Williams.

• 2 months later...

During an internet search, I found this on Ernie Fosselius' page on wikipedia:

Ben Burtt asked Fosselius to contribute unusual voices and vocal effects to several Lucasfilm productions, such as the two pilots in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. He wrote the lyrics to "Lapti Nek".

I never read this anywhere. Normally Joseph Williams is credited.

During an internet search, I found this on Ernie Fosselius' page on wikipedia:

Ben Burtt asked Fosselius to contribute unusual voices and vocal effects to several Lucasfilm productions, such as the two pilots in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. He wrote the lyrics to "Lapti Nek".

I never read this anywhere. Normally Joseph Williams is credited.

Ben Burtt did the Ewokese lyrics, while Annie Arbogast did the Huttese ones and Joseph Williams the English ones.