SCORE: The Lost World Jurassic Park (John Williams) - A Complete Score Analysis

Incanus

Yes, I too have played the unused music alone with the film to see how the original compositions would have worked.

Is there any chance that either you or Incanus could share how the cues link up with the scenes? I am very interested in seeing that.

I don't understand what you're asking. All I did was pop the DVD in and skipped around while playing the music and tried to line it up and see if it worked. I didn't take notes or anything.

And doesn't the main post of the very thread you're posting in contain Incanus's descriptions of how each cue would have worked in the film had it been used?

What I mean is that is there a way that either you or Incanus could put up a few videos showing some of the scenes accompanied with the original cues.

I am just curious to see the scenes with the original music.

Really? Is it available for viewing?

If not, then it does not matter. I was just interested in viewing the scenes with the unused music.

I would, but I have no experience in making videos. I rarely have time to learn how to do such things. Anyway, I was simply interested.

I think it's a great idea and I hope somebody does make videos for all the unused JW music - in this film and all others!

• 3 weeks later...

Incanus, you forgot to mention that a section of Corporate Choppers was unused (0:40-0:58).

A section of Big Feet was unused (0:42-1:02).

Also, the beginning of A Neighborhood Visitor was unused (0:00-0:22), as well as the first 41 seconds of Streets of San Diego.

Thanks! I updated the main post. Might make longer notes into the text about them in the future.

Also, with regard to Corporate Choppers, do you think the sequence was originally longer than what is in the film, hence why a section of the cue is unused?

Yes the edit in the music would suggest that given that in the film the scene runs shorter than the original cue.

Maybe there was a shot of the choppers landing on a designated point on the island, dropping the vehicles on the landing point and such.

If that is the case, the shot was probably cut due to time constraints.

I love how John Williams combines the old Carnivore motif from Jurassic Park and the Island's Voice motif in the cue

Up In a Basket (Part II).

I wonder why the middle portion of Rialto Ripples is slightly different in the film than how the Maestro wrote and recorded the cue

Is it a film alternate?

Incanus, is the middle portion of Rialto Ripples in the film an alternate? The portion in the film sounds slightly different than what the Maestro composed and conducted.

There are a few more people better versed in the film versions/recorded versions differences than I, like Datameister and GoodMusician, who know this stuff extremely well and are capable of checking the music against the written materials. I unfortunately had to go by ear alone as I can glean only limited amount of info from the written score itself as I am not a trained musician and can't read music.

Other than the alternate intro for the Lost World theme concert arrangement, there were NO alternates recorded for The Lost World. Whatever you hear in the middle of Rialto Ripples in the film was tracked from another cue.

On the whole Williams' modern scores seem to contain very little alternate versions. More subtle rewrites or changes on the podium yes but only a few actual page one rewrites where the entire cue was changed or another approach was taken. The Lost World sadly didn't seem to have time for pick-ups and we get that constant tracking of the main theme everywhere.

It is kind of interesting that neither of the Jurassic Park scores had any alternates at all. I mean, all the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter scores did, as well as ET, Superman, Close Encounters, WOTW, AI, etc. All his big summer blockbuster scores always have revised cues.... but not the JPs!

It is kind of interesting that neither of the Jurassic Park scores had any alternates at all. I mean, all the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter scores did, as well as ET, Superman, Close Encounters, WOTW, AI, etc. All his big summer blockbuster scores always have revised cues.... but not the JPs!

True! With JP Spielberg must have been very happy with the music and how it fit and I can't blame him. That score doesn't even feature that heavy editing. Although the tracking in the TLW of course indicates that they really chose a lighter more optimistic and heroic tone in the end and JW didn't have time to re-score, so SS had to be happy with what he got since there was no way of doing more for the music.

I am also amazed that HPPS had only a couple of complete alternate cues considering how expansive that score is.

I am referring to the middle portion of the cue, Rialto Ripples, from the beginning of the T-Rex footfalls to the point where the female T-Rex has her entire head inside Sarah and Kelly's tent and is sniffing Sarah's jacket. If you look at the scene in the film and listen to the music, it sounds slightly different than what John Williams composed and conducted. It is NOT tracked from any other cue at all. In the film, the orchestration sounds slightly different.

I could not find anything in that tread. I have to say that I think you are mistaken, Jason. I have reviewed all other cues, and none match up with the portion of Rialto Ripples in the film.

I assure you, when the sheet music leaked we went through the entire film and created new fan edits using mockups from the sheet music and found there were definitely NO alternates present in the film, everything was accounted for. I just don't have notes right now of what was tracked into where.

Ah, found it. You are partly wrong, Jason. In the film, the middle portion of Rialto Ripples was tracked, but NOT from ANOTHER cue. The middle portion was looped a bit, but it is all material from the same cue.

Thank you, Jason.

Yes, that is right. The reason why the section as composed and conducted was mostly unused was probably because it would bring too much tension to an already terrifying scene. Then again, I would love to see how the scene would look with the original portion of the music.

I just thought of something:

The deleted sequence in Spilling Petrol; I know there are a few screen shots of the deleted sequence in which Sarah and Nick spill the

petroleum from the gas tanks of the vehicles. Has this short part of the scene in which the dinosaurs are released ever been filmed, like a deleted scene?

Of course it was. That's how it was available for Williams to score it. It was cut from the film after scoring.

I wonder why it has not been released as a deleted scene, like the two deleted scenes with Ludlow and Roland, respectively.

Also, I wonder why that part of the scene was cut. It would have added support to the reason why that jeep exploded during the rampage.

Probably for time constraints.

Still, that short sequence would have added some suspense.

This would be cool: a 3D rerelease of The Lost World: Jurassic Park for its anniversary.

That short sequence would be restored and added to the film (as would the portion of the cue that accompanies the sequence).

Also, like the Maestro did with the 20th anniversary if the first film, an expanded release of the soundtrack to

The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

That would be great.

I just wish that one of the specialty labels could do both complete score releases in proper fashion. Especially TLW has so much music adding a couple extra cues would not be entirely satisfying (of course it would be better than nothing).

I wonder why it has not been released as a deleted scene, like the two deleted scenes with Ludlow and Roland, respectively.

The two scenes you mentioned were discussed in one of the other supplemental features on the DVD, so I guess they decided to include those so people would understand what they were talking about. Otherwise, Spielberg has a habit of not including deleted scenes on his home video releases (he also doesn't do commentary tracks). In fact, isn't this pretty much the only Spielberg DVD that actually has any deleted scenes at all?

Nope, Close Encounters also has deleted scenes. Lots of them.

Jaws as well.

1941 has an entire new cut with deleted scenes put back in.

After the 70s though, the pickings are slim.

Oh, right. There's some nice stuff on Jaws. And does CE3K really have deleted scenes? As in, material that can't be seen in any of the three cuts available?

Seems also that in later films Spielberg doesn't really shoot a lot of excess material, keeps a tight shooting schedule (the post 1941 matter of honor I guess) and keeps to the script even though he may improvise inside any given scene. It's a shame he doesn't do commentaries since his would certainly be interesting as he is both articulate and passionate on the subject of cinema.

Oh, right. There's some nice stuff on Jaws. And does CE3K really have deleted scenes? As in, material that can't be seen in any of the three cuts available?

Yes, absolutely it does. Do you not have the fabulous blu ray set?

They were even on DVD versions before that too, like the first DVD that came out in 1998.

Were the deleted scenes of E.T. ever released before the 2002 cut?

Yes, the deleted scenes - including Harrison Ford's scene as the principal - were on the ET Laserdisc.

Yes, absolutely it does. Do you not have the fabulous blu ray set?

I have the DVD version of that set. I guess I'll have to look into that then.

Oh wait, they're not on that version. They should be on the Collector's Edition though, which I also own. Hmm.