Alan Silvestri scoring Captain America: The First Avenger

Ollie

I think you're a dick head for saying this!

Hey Stefan where has your trademark "IDIOT" gone? I really miss it. It's classic Stefan. Once you have been berated by a Dutchman there is no going back.

I miss the old Stefan. Now he's way too over-complicated and has too many layers. It's technically a masterpiece, but the magic of his earlier posts is lost.

Karol

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To an African girl the word nigger does not carry the connotations is does to an african-american, or in fact white americans (who are scared shit-less by the word)

Anyway, she calls me her Boer and constantly reminds me that "apartheid" is in fact a Dutch word...

Nice. I love Mondo's film poster work. The poster for Source Code should've been the official one.

The Tyler Stout poster makes me wonder if Toby Jones is playing some kind of Toht-esque character.

The US iTunes Version of the score has an extra track titled "Captain America March", which appears to be a nice straightforward Superman-like presentation of the main theme.

The US iTunes Version of the score has an extra track titled "Captain America March", which appears to be a nice straightforward Superman-like presentation of the main theme.

damn..it should be Physical CDs sporting bonus tracks, not the cheap mp3s version...

Well now this sounds spirited and rousing, doesn't it! :)

So there are actually people out there who dare to compose sentimental and rousing music. What a breath of fresh air, even though it is a throwback to a style of the yesteryear.

I would have liked this instead of the Menken's song. It is the most developed statement of the theme and needs to be on the soundtrack album.

Karol

I would have liked this instead of the Menken's song. It is the most developed statement of the theme and needs to be on the soundtrack album.

Karol

Yeah these iTunes (or any) exclusive tracks suck in that respect. You won't get the track on the physical album itself. And in this case it is a truly rousing and lenghtiest (as far as I know as I have not heard the album) rendition of the theme.

Oh wow, the march is QUITE glorious. :music:

Fantastic!!! Finally a big superhero theme after long years... and a clear homage to John Williams!!! colgate.gif

And same time it's a shame that track is only iTunes store... angry.gif

The theme is the actual score is a bit more toned-down. Not that the score is low-key. It's just less patriotic and more war-like.

Karol

The theme is the actual score is a bit more toned-down. Not that the score is low-key. It's just less patriotic and more war-like.

Karol

I would think it fits the tone of the film since it can't be one long patriotic flag waving charge. I would expect the theme is used heroically during appropriate moments.

Well now this sounds spirited and rousing, doesn't it! :)

So there are actually people out there who dare to compose sentimental and rousing music. What a breath of fresh air, even though it is a throwback to a style of the yesteryear.

I totally agree. up.gif

Apparently the iTunes track is available only in the US. Crap! I actually wanted to purchase it. But then again you probably can't buy just that one thing anyway.

Karol

Apparently the iTunes track is available only in the US. Crap! I actually wanted to purchase it. But then again you probably can't that one thing anyway.

Karol

yes...you can. :)

I'm 4 tracks into this and it's good. It's patriotic but in a relaxed, more reflective way.

If this is any indication of how pure the action material is, this is going to be a really good score :)

I'm loving what Johnston is getting from his composers.

Okay, I ordered this yesterday morning. I trust you guys about this score, so... hopefully around Friday or Saturday I'll get it and listen to it.

Love what I've heard so far. The Captain America March is, as Demondm810 put it, quite glorious. When was the last time we had a new "march" for a hero? The Alan Menken song made me smile. Very fitting of the era.

Been looking forward to this film ever since I saw them filming the early scenes on the street I walk to work everyday on (in Manchester, UK). Just about every shot in the trailer on a New York street is actually Manchester :P

I have listened to the album twice and it is growing on me. At first listen the opening tracks did not impress and I felt they lacked punch but on the second listen even they add to the listening experience. The final 30 minutes is where the meat of this score really is with its thematic and propulsive action music and heroic statements of the main theme starting from the Triumphant Return up to the Captain America March (if you have the iTunes track). It almost feels like Silvestri warms up during the beginning of the album and then unleashes classy action and drama on you when the story reaches its climax. I found it to be a nice building story arc in music actually.

The the has been growing as well ever since I heard the first clips of this music. Part Silvestri, part Williams Americana and part Elmer Bernstein Western theme (with those syncopated rhythms) this motif is certainly fitting for the character and Silvestri reserves the most heroic statements for important moments, using a more determined and gritty fragment of the theme to propel the action forward on most tracks. I am sure there is a bad guy theme for the Redskull somewhere but I have not yet noticed it. :)

There is a lot of classic bad guy music in this score with portentous evil chords pronounced in brass and a slight air of evil elegance in the string writing but nothing as clear as say the Alien motif from Super 8 did not come up after two listens. I am looking forward to listening this score with more time and thought later.

The Menken song is funny and I would suspect completely in tune with the atmosphere of the film, so bright eyed and patriotic (not to mention cheesy) this little ditty sounds. I am sure propaganda movie reels and such had music similar to this song.

Now we have at least 2 pretty neat scores from this summer, Super 8 and Captain America. Both throwbacks to a more idealistic emotional and should I say naive scoring tradition but boy do they sound great.

The march is rousing and fantastically arranged. I wish more of the score sounded like this. As is, it's good, better than what passes for action scores these days, but I think I still like Super 8 the most of all summer fare...until Williams' stuff shows up!

Williams stuff is not summer fare :)

Why in the world didn't they include the March on the OST - annoying!

That's not the point. He said he liked Super 8 the most out of all the summer fare until Williams stuff shows up...... once Williams stuff shows up, Super 8 will still be the best of the summer fare.

Silvestri's score is the first in a long time to give me genuine pleasure.

For once we agree. :)

To the naysayers: It is a grower. Give it some time and it should get better.

Karol

Karol

Yes and the main theme is surprisingly hummable and memorable with a good sort of swagger to it. :)

I listen to the album pretty much everyday now. It's not as heavy as some Silvestri stuff and because of that the album's running time doesn't outstay its welcome. It's well orchestrated, you can clearly hear every section of the orchestra. The only gripe I have is that the march version is not on it. Well, it is on my iTunes library now. For me this is so far the best thing of the year so far.

Karol

Karol

Nope. I've played it about six times since I first got it two weeks ago and I've had enough. I'd rather hear far superior Silvestri fare like Back to The Future, Predator and The Mummy Returns then that terribly produced album ever again. It's not awful music by any stretch of the imagination but Silvestri has done much, much better in the past.

-Erik-

I prefer it to Mummy Returns...

Close call, though.

Interesting! Personally, I don't think it comes even close to The Mummy Return, which I consider to be one of the finest scores written in the past 11 years or so. To tell you the truth I don't think Captain American is any better than The A-Team. There isn't one cue (save the march) that rivals "Flying A Tank."

Captain America to me is a mish-mash of previous and much superior Silvestri scores. There's about 20 minutes of entertaining and competently composed music in that lethargic 72 minute album. The rest is disposable.

-Erik-

Wow! That march is just wonderful. As has been said, it's great to get a full-blown, straight-up superhero march. I love the little Korngold/Williams-type accelerated fanfare at the beginning and near the end, and the heroic explosion of the theme at 1:19. This is making it all the harder to wait to see the film on Friday. Very much looking forward to this.

Nope. I've played it about six times since I first got it two weeks ago and I've had enough. I'd rather hear far superior Silvestri fare like Back to The Future, Predator and The Mummy Returns then that terribly produced album ever again. It's not awful music by any stretch of the imagination but Silvestri has done much, much better in the past.

-Erik-

You see, Erik, that's exactly the problem here. While I recognize that they're fun and all, I'm not all that fond of The Mummy Returns, Predator, and Back to the Future. They are memorable, sure. Have obvious highlights and all that (I'm not debating that). But I just don't care for them all that much and wouldn't listen to these albums very often. Captain America simply clicks with me. I like the texture in the brass and the string sections which have a very old-fashioned quality to it (or maybe it's just me). I even like the underscore at the start of the album. It appeals to me. Maybe because it feels more like a war score than a superhero/summer film. I like that. But can completely appreciate if you don't.

Karol - who didn't like A-Team, with the exceptions of the track you mentioned (and even that isn't all that special)

I prefer it to Mummy Returns...

Close call, though.

Interesting! Personally, I don't think it comes even close to The Mummy Return, which I consider to be one of the finest scores written in the past 11 years or so. To tell you the truth I don't think Captain American is any better than The A-Team. There isn't one cue (save the march) that rivals "Flying A Tank."

Captain America to me is a mish-mash of previous and much superior Silvestri scores. There's about 20 minutes of entertaining and competently composed music in that lethargic 72 minute album. The rest is disposable.

-Erik-

I do love Mummy Returns, but the rousing theme tends to grow on me after a while. But it is amazing.

I'm listening to the March and like it.I'm surprised

Hmm this album seems to be mixed "hot' . Volume of VLC player at 10% and too loud

Nope! Wrong again, Erik.

Not to get too deep into heady musical theory territory, but has anyone else noticed that you can sing the name "Captain America" to the first six notes of this theme? If you needed more proof it's a keeper, there it is. :yes: